Windows 10: How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10)

Discus and support How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'd like to modify the default user profile for Windows 10 - which includes making a few registry changes, applying a custom theme, and adding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jimmerb83, Oct 24, 2019.

1. jimmerb83 Win User

How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10)

I'd like to modify the default user profile for Windows 10 - which includes making a few registry changes, applying a custom theme, and adding shortcuts to the desktop/taskbar.

The goal being any user who logs in to the PC will have these default profile settings applied to their local user account.

I've done this successfully on Windows 7 by creating a "reference" user profile, applying the theme/registry changes, then copying the reference profile's NTUSER.dat file to C:\Users\Default.

This no longer appears to work properly for Win10; While the reg changes and background apply properly, the taskbar becomes unusable - the search bar disappears and the taskbar shortcuts (including file explorer) become corrupted.

As stated in the title, unfortunately I'm unable to use Group Policy or Active Directory to achieve this, and also can't make any changes to the Windows image through sysprep or other means.

:)

jimmerb83, Oct 24, 2019

2. Group policy :/

Thanks to @topgundcp
    Update W-10 manually
    Which got me piddling around with the whole group/ user policy crap
    I have found to get rid of the silly lock screen at startup *Party
    Did think I got rid of some of the annoying web search from the search but seems the new version does not apply to the new search box :/

Do not search the internet is enabled but does not effect the suggestions being plastered on the search although this version does not default to a Bing search page as other prior versions,
    I can not figure out which is the suggestions for web search *Tongue

Coming from 7 home premium that did not have group policy I find most of this group policy stuff really a weird tour How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10) :)
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Oct 24, 2019
  3. Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Local Group Policy Editor

How to Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

When signs in to the new account for the first time.

A sign in to Windows.

A user's profile folder also contains their personal folders such as the 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music, OneDrive, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches, and Videos folders.

If Windows cannot access the user profile folder or the profile contains errors that prevent it from loading, Windows will sign in the user with a temporary profile by default.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable signing in users with temporary profiles in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable signing in users with temporary profiles.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Log On Users with Temporary Profiles enabled and disabled

How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10) [​IMG]

How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10) [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, and User Profiles. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of User Profiles, double click/tap on the Do not log users on with temporary profiles policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

ProfileErrorAction DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_sign-in_users_with_temporary_profiles.reg

3. To Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_sign-in_users_with_temporary_profiles.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 24, 2019
  4. How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10)

Couldn't connect to windows group policy service????

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing as with error: Couldn't connect to windows group policy service, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know when exactly you received this error code?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted user profile, User Profile Service or Group Policy Client service stopped working, or Antivirus software conflicts.

I suggest you to check with the following and check if it helps.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service is disabled
    the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start
    the service and set it to Automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10)

1. How to modify default user profile w/o Group Policy or Active Directory (Windows 10) - Similar Threads - modify default user

2. Active Directory Group Policy Objects GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Directory Group Policy Objects GPO: Hi All,I am reaching out to seek assistance with enabling and configuring 802.1x on client machines within our network.Due to the unique nature of the grouping, we have encountered challenges in utilizing Active Directory Group Policy Objects GPO for this purpose. As a...
  3. Active Directory Group Policy Objects GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Directory Group Policy Objects GPO: Hi All,I am reaching out to seek assistance with enabling and configuring 802.1x on client machines within our network.Due to the unique nature of the grouping, we have encountered challenges in utilizing Active Directory Group Policy Objects GPO for this purpose. As a...
  4. Permission to modify Domain Admin user Active Directory

Permission to modify Domain Admin user Active Directory: Hello everyone, we need to give helpdesk users the ability to reset/unlock/delete etc all users in the AD domain.Currently, by delegating domain control, they can only do this for users with permissions lower than theirs, but for users with the same permissions or higher they...
  5. How to exclude password policy in group policy object on a particular user in Active...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to exclude password policy in group policy object on a particular user in Active...: Hi I was created many user in active directory and i was apply password policy in GPO but i do not want to apply password policy on a particular user. and i want to exclude this user from password policy. please help me to solve it. regard izhar...
  6. How to exclude password policy in group policy object on a particular user in Active...

How to exclude password policy in group policy object on a particular user in Active...: Hi I was created many user in active directory and i was apply password policy in GPO but i do not want to apply password policy on a particular user. and i want to exclude this user from password policy. please help me to solve it. regard izhar...
  7. Local Security Policies, System Group Policy Objects, and Active Directory values not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Security Policies, System Group Policy Objects, and Active Directory values not...: I am attempting to monitor the status of SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege and SeEnableDelegationPrivilege to determine if they have been updated/changed. When doing so, this configuration file doesn't seem to update. Are there any other locations where a variable would affect "Force...
  8. Local Security Policies, System Group Policy Objects, and Active Directory values not...

Local Security Policies, System Group Policy Objects, and Active Directory values not...: I am attempting to monitor the status of SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege and SeEnableDelegationPrivilege to determine if they have been updated/changed. When doing so, this configuration file doesn't seem to update. Are there any other locations where a variable would affect "Force...
  9. WiFi SSID from User Profiles to Group Policy Profiles

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi SSID from User Profiles to Group Policy Profiles: How can I change WiFi SSID from User Profiles to Group Policy Profiles [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-ssid-from-user-profiles-to-group-policy/aef93ffa-dd07-458b-80c4-11ac7d40f27d
  10. Copy Default User Profile W/O Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copy Default User Profile W/O Audit Mode: Is there a way to copy a profile to the default profile without using the Audit Mode feature when it was built? I know that the Audit Mode should have been use but at this point it to late to do that now. That got to be some app are "hack" way to still copy a profile to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default mail app w/ group policy windows 10 pro