Windows 10: Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 How to Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 comes with Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

How to: Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

How to Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows 10 comes with Windows PowerShell 5.0 included.

Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language designed especially for system administration. Built on the .NET Framework, Windows PowerShell helps IT professionals and power users control and automate the administration of the Windows operating system and applications that run on Windows.

For more details about Windows PowerShell, see:

This tutorial will show you different ways to open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Windows PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Windows PowerShell from All apps in Start Menu
    1. Open All apps in the Start menu.

2. Scroll down and expand open the Windows PowerShell folder, and click/tap on Windows PowerShell. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Windows PowerShell in Search
    1. Press the Win+S keys to open Search.

2. Type powershell in the search box, and click/tap on Windows PowerShell in the search results at the top. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Open Windows PowerShell from Run
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run.

2. Type powershell, and click/tap on OK in the search results at the top. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Open Windows PowerShell from Task Manager
    1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

2. Click/tap on File (menu bar), and click/tap on Run new task. (see screenshot below)

3. Type powershell, and click/tap on OK in the search results at the top. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Open Windows PowerShell from Win+X Menu
    1. If you have the Win+X menu set to show Windows PowerShell instead of Command Prompt, then press the Win+X keys to open the Win+X menu.

2. Click/tap on Windows PowerShell. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] To "Open Windows PowerShell Here" in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer, select or open a folder or drive that you want to open Windows PowerShell at that location. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the File tab on the ribbon, click/tap on Open Windows PowerShell to expand, and click/tap on Open Windows PowerShell. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SEVEN [/i] Open Windows PowerShell from File Explorer
    1. While you have a folder or drive open in File Explorer, type PowerShell into the address bar, and press Enter to open PowerShell in whatever folder or drive you have open.

OR

2. Open File Explorer, browse to the folder location below, and click/tap on the powershell.exe file to run it. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Nov 12, 2016

2. Windows Powershell open and stop (in windows 10)

I don't know why it happens? It is sometimes I noticed that my windows powershell opens at the task bar but no window or nothing visible.I feel confused then what to do. after a few while it disappear it self without causing any harm .But I feel confused
    what actually happening . Is it a problem ? should I do anything ? what steps should I take ?

redonerafi, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Windows Powershell open and stop (in windows 10)

Hello,

Thank you posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better:

• Have you made any significant changes on your system prior to this issue?
    • Do you get any error message/ error code on your screen?

You may face this issue due to some third party application conflicting or due to virus infection on your system.

I would suggest you to follow the method given below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Run system maintenance troubleshooter:

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left side panel.

• Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.

If issue still persists try method 2.

Method 2. Refer the link below and follow the suggestion of
    Pawan Dhondiyal replied on February 15, 2016:

Windows PowerShell opens up at Startup

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Nov 12, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Cliff. *Smile

Brink, Nov 12, 2016
  5. Hi Shawn,

Is there a document you know of that explains the difference between the various versions of Powershell?

Geoff Daniell, Nov 13, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 13, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    MSDN has also pimped up the
    site.
    For those interested in learning more about the "new default", but not "new" Windows command tool, go here: Microsoft PowerShell

Cliff S, Nov 19, 2016
  8. dacrone Win User

In my windows 10 1607... option 6 is greyed out. I have been researching but have been unable to resolve it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

dacrone, Dec 29, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 29, 2016
  10. dacrone Win User
    dacrone, Dec 29, 2016
  11. dacrone Win User
    here is a visual of my issue too...

dacrone, Dec 29, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 29, 2016
  13. dacrone Win User

Notta... still not working. I believe it may be a tweak that I have enabled. I went through my tweaker tool and disabled them one by one, but it still didn't work. One of my other PCs is having this issue too, but my 3rd works properly. The two that do not work both have AeroGlass running, but the one that works does not have AeroGlass... so I am wondering if that causes issues with it. I will post back when I resolve this issue. Thank you for your assistance.

dacrone, Dec 30, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I look forward to hearing your findings and results.

Brink, Dec 30, 2016
  15. dacrone Win User
    Sure enough... it was the new DWMGlass.dll from AeroGlass that has to be manually registered to give Modern Apps the glass frame that was causing this issue. I am unsure as to why, but I will post there to ask about it. Thanks!

dacrone, Dec 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open PowerShell

2. Is this a safe PowerShell Command for fixing StickyNote won't open?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a safe PowerShell Command for fixing StickyNote won't open?: I have been searching for a fix for my StickyNote since it just loads up but then my sticky notes won't show up and the app will automatically close itself. Then I came across this PowerShell command which was said to solve the issue:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name...
  3. Is this a safe PowerShell Command for fixing StickyNote won't open?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this a safe PowerShell Command for fixing StickyNote won't open?: I have been searching for a fix for my StickyNote since it just loads up but then my sticky notes won't show up and the app will automatically close itself. Then I came across this PowerShell command which was said to solve the issue:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name...
  4. My command prompt and powershell instantly crashes, when i am opening it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My command prompt and powershell instantly crashes, when i am opening it.: My command prompt and powershell crashes when i am opening it i tried a lot of methods didnt worked. I format my whole pc 4 times still issue happens....
  5. My command prompt and powershell instantly crashes, when i am opening it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My command prompt and powershell instantly crashes, when i am opening it.: My command prompt and powershell crashes when i am opening it i tried a lot of methods didnt worked. I format my whole pc 4 times still issue happens....
  6. My command prompt and powershell instantly crashes, when i am opening it.

7. Script causes Powershell to open in Console Host instead of Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Script causes Powershell to open in Console Host instead of Windows Terminal: I am trying to run a script that opens a powershell instance for every sub-directory and runs the command whisperPathHere's the code:Get-ChildItem -Directory -Recurse ForEach-Object { Start-Process -FilePath "pwsh.exe" -ArgumentList "-NoExit -Command Set-Location -LiteralPath...
  8. Script causes Powershell to open in Console Host instead of Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Script causes Powershell to open in Console Host instead of Windows Terminal: I am trying to run a script that opens a powershell instance for every sub-directory and runs the command whisperPathHere's the code:Get-ChildItem -Directory -Recurse ForEach-Object { Start-Process -FilePath "pwsh.exe" -ArgumentList "-NoExit -Command Set-Location -LiteralPath...
  9. Script causes Powershell to open in Console Host instead of Windows Terminal

10. Both Command Prompt and Powershell won't open.

Both Command Prompt and Powershell won't open.: I have been having trouble opening up command prompt and Power Shell. Every time I attempted to open up command prompt, it would close immediately or it will give me the following message: ```[process exited with code 3221225477 0xc0000005]You can now close this terminal with...