Windows 10: Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

Discus and support Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 How to Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

How to: Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

How to Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

In Windows, you can mount any folder at any location as a virtual drive with a drive letter.

When you mount a folder as virtual drive, you will be able to access the folder from the virtual drive. The contents of the folder will still physically be located in the folder. Anything you save into the virtual drive will actually be saved to the folder's location.

Virtual drives from mounted folders are not persistent and only available during the current user session by default. If you shut down the computer, all current virtual drives will be removed (unmounted).

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to mount any folder as a virtual drive with a drive letter in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Contents

EXAMPLE: Folder mounted as virtual drive in Windows 10 File Explorer > This PC

Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] See All Current Virtual Drives for Mounted Folders
    1 Open a command prompt.

2 Type subst into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

3 You will now see a list of all current virtual drives.

OPTION TWO [/i] Mount Folder as Virtual Drive
    1 Open a command prompt.

2 Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    subst <virtual drive letter>: "Full path of folder"

Substitute <virtual drive letter> in the command above with a currently unused drive letter (ex: "G") you want to be assigned to the virtual drive.

Substitute Full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Any Folder") you want to be mounted as a virtual drive.

For example: subst G: "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Any Folder"

3 If you like, you can rename the virtual drive to what you want.

The virtual drive will have the same name as the source drive/volume of the folder by default.

If the source drive/volume of the folder has been renamed, then the virtual drive cannot be renamed.

If you rename the virtual drive, this name will be persistent each time you mount the same folder path using the same drive letter.

4 You can close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Remove Virtual Drive for Mounted Folder
    This option can be handy when you want to remove a virtual drive for a mounted folder without having to shut down the computer.

1 Open a command prompt.

2 Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    subst <virtual drive letter>: /d

Substitute <virtual drive letter> in the command above with the drive letter (ex: "G") of a virtual drive you want to remove.

3 You can close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Always Mount Folder as Virtual Drive at Startup
    This option allows the folder to always be mounted as a virtual drive even after you shut down the computer.

1 Open Notepad.

2 Type the commands below into Notepad. (see screenshot below)
    @echo off
    subst <virtual drive letter>: "Full path of folder"

Substitute <virtual drive letter> in the command above with a currently unused drive letter (ex: "G") you want to be assigned to the virtual drive.

Substitute Full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Any Folder") you want to be mounted as a virtual drive.

For example:
    @echo off
    subst G: "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Any Folder"

3 In Notepad, press the Ctrl + S keys OR click/tap on File (menu bar) and click/tap on Save to save this as a batch (.bat) file. (see screenshot below)

4 Perform the following actions in the Save As dialog: (see screenshot below)
    1) Navigate to where (ex: "Desktop") you want to save the .bat file.

2) Select All Files (*.*) in the Save as type drop menu.

3) Type a name you want for this batch file along with the .bat file extension.

It is recommended to name the .bat file something to let you know which folder it is mounting as a virtual drive. For example: G-Any Folder.bat

4) Click/tap on Save.

5 You can now close Notepad.

6 Open File Explorer Win + E.

7 Save a copy of the .bat file into the Startup folder(s) of the user(s) you want to always have the folder mounted as a virtual drive. (see screenshot below)

You will need to be signed in as an administrator to save a copy of the .bat file into the Startup folder of another user or for all users.

To undo this for a virtual drive, delete its .bat file in the Startup folder.

Startup folder location for user:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Startup folder location for all users:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

8 You can now close File Explorer.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 28, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. RoboX Win User
    Windows 8 - delete windows folders in another drive

I have the problem (from Windows 8) to delete the folders windows and programs on a secondary disk on which it was 7 .... know how to get full control to delete those folders?

RoboX, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

Windows 8 - delete windows folders in another drive

Just run "cleanmgr.exe" in the run command or in a command prompt and select the drive you want to clean......

VulkanBros, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows 7 Lover's Club: For Those Who Like Windows 7 As Opposed To Windows 8

Description:
    • For anyone who likes Windows 7 as opposed to Windows 8 and wants to keep Windows 7 and not upgrade to Windows 8.
    • Also for anyone who does not hate Windows 8 but refuses to upgrade because Windows 7 is perfect.
    Requirements:
    • Be human. Male or female will suffice.
    • Love or Like Windows 7 much more than Windows 8.
    To Join:
    • Make a post.
    Benefits:
    • You will find true love one day.
    • You have have a chance to get rich one day.
    • You will have a chance for your dreams to come true one day.

vawrvawerawe, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

1. Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Mount Folder Virtual

2. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10: Hello,I have just followed instructions to mount a hard drive as a folder in Windows 10. I will be using this to store music files.Rather than the internal SSD.What I would like some information on is this. If I have the hard drive connected to my computer and I make a Clone...
  3. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10: Hello,I have just followed instructions to mount a hard drive as a folder in Windows 10. I will be using this to store music files.Rather than the internal SSD.What I would like some information on is this. If I have the hard drive connected to my computer and I make a Clone...
  4. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. does windows drive includes windows 7/8/10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    does windows drive includes windows 7/8/10: in the reseting of windows 10 it shows clean windows drive only does it includes windows 7 partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-drive-includes-windows-7810/f89e73a8-12f4-4954-9531-b93b8cef957f
  6. Windows 10, 8, or 7

Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  7. Installing Windows 7 image on a virtual drive in Windows 10

Installing Windows 7 image on a virtual drive in Windows 10: Hi, I have Windows 10 Pro on a new desktop. I have created before an image of Windows 7 system on my older PC. I was wondering if I create a virtual drive in Windows 10 (on Hard Disk), whether it's possible to restore the Windows 7 image on the virtual drive ??...
  8. Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Pro on a new desktop. I have created before an image of Windows 7 system on my older PC. I was wondering if I create a virtual drive in Windows 10 (on Hard Disk), whether it's possible to restore the Windows 7 image on the virtual drive ?? 125591
  9. Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10

Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10: Hi, I have Windows 10 Pro on a new desktop. I have created before an image of Windows 7 system on my older PC. I was wondering if I create a virtual drive in Windows 10 (on Hard Disk), whether it's possible to restore the Windows 7 image on the virtual drive ??...
  10. Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10: How to: Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 How to Mount a Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 You can assign a mount point folder path to a drive to have the drive appear as a normal folder located where you want. With you mount an internal or external drive to an...