Windows 10: Missing text after reboot in Win 10 Pro 64bit CU

Discus and support Missing text after reboot in Win 10 Pro 64bit CU in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Norton NIS did its normal update the other day and, as sometimes requested, it asked for a reboot. Now, I've been using Norton NIS for 17 years and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rzn6jw, May 6, 2017.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Missing text after reboot in Win 10 Pro 64bit CU

Norton NIS did its normal update the other day and, as sometimes requested, it asked for a reboot. Now, I've been using Norton NIS for 17 years and there's been no problem with it and Windows so this cause for a reboot shouldn't be an issue but.........

after I rebooted, the desktop, all folders, all menus, etc., came up missing descriptive text, just icons. I'd include a screenshot of this using Paint but using 'Print screen' or 'alt print screen' and trying to 'paste' it into Paint produces a blank picture. Beside, all the selections in Paint are icon only and even if you hover over the icon, no description comes up.

Anyway, I rebooted again to the same issue. I finally had to use Macrim to restore an image from a few days ago as the Win 10 CU rescue disk could not 'repair' the problems.

I'm sure this is a CU problem, not Norton. Has anyone heard of this happening to a Win OS?

Also, how do you boot to Safe Mode in Win 10? I know that sometimes you have to use the rescue disk for this but the rescue disk for CU did not have the Startup Settings under Advanced options.

Thanks.

:)

rzn6jw, May 6, 2017

2. some apps won't stay installed

An app is installed and used without error or issue. After reboot the app is no longer installed. I and some end users are seeing this.

The OSes vary: two Win 10 Ent 64bit, one Win 10 Pro 64bit, one Win 10 Home 64bit.

All have a local login account.

The apps vary from a Browser to a streaming media App

No events in the error logs that would account for the missing apps.

( I chose Music & Video category as two apps fell into it, but the issue is technically not category specific. I had to choose one to post.)

Grey_corbin, May 6, 2017
  3. RickAZYE Win User
    How to get a copy of the correct edition of Windows 10

Original Title: win 10 pro 64bit

I did a free upgrade from win 7 pro 64bit to win 10 pro 64bit quite a while ago. I want to do a clean install so I am trying to download a copy of win 10 pro 64bit to a dvd using the media creation tool, but win 10 pro is not on the list, only win
    10, win 10 home, and win 10 N. It shows on my systems page that I am running win 10 pro 64bit. How can I get a copy of the correct edition?

RickAZYE, May 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, yes there are some similar reports- feel free to search or browse.

Safe Mode: - see the Tutorial section, which is worth being aware of -

here are 3 I've found for you:
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    Note: SHIFT + left click Restart is an easy way to start the procedure.

And you can do this if you wish:
    Add Safe Mode to Boot Options in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Add Safe Mode to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

dalchina, May 6, 2017
  5. rzn6jw Win User
    Thanks. But those options depend on having text available or a 'repair' disk that has Safe Mode in the Advanced selection (which my CU repair disk, unfortunately, does not have). And using the Command Prompt when you don't have text doesn't work because you don't have any (eg. C:\) visible and you can't see what you type).

Too bad there isn't a 'F' key option on boot, like XP used to have.

rzn6jw, May 6, 2017
  6. rzn6jw Win User
    As an aside, I tried your 'Add Safe Mode to Boot Options' using MSCONFIG. Will let you know if this works when I reboot later this afternoon.

Thanks.

rzn6jw, May 6, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 6, 2017
  8. rzn6jw Win User

Thanks.

F8 might work on my system because my mobo has a 15 second 'go to bios' screen before actually starting Windows. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

rzn6jw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing text after reboot in Win 10 Pro 64bit CU - Similar Threads - Missing text reboot

2. Filenames and text missing in File Explorer after Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Filenames and text missing in File Explorer after Win 10 update: One of my users received the Windows 10 KB5001330 update automatically overnight, and today the filenames and menu text in File Explorer do not appear. I've seen sporadic reports of similar problems dating back to 2017, but no workable solution from any Microsoft...
  3. Wifi connection to router missing - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi connection to router missing - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit: When I switch on my laptop I notice there is no internet connection, a globe is displayed on the toolbar. The Wifi label for my router is not displayed in the menu of available internet connections. Other wifi labels for neighbours routers are displayed. When I connect the...
  4. Calculator is missing in win 10 pro.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Calculator is missing in win 10 pro.: I'm working a company where users used to feed data in windows 10 machines. Later found out that windows default apps like calendar ,calculator found missing and tried number of methods that found in internet and still haven't able to get the calculator. And the users need...
  5. Win 10 Pro 1909 64bit setup error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Pro 1909 64bit setup error: downloaded win 10 pro 1909, ran setup.exe, got error message autorun.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt setup cannot continue. error code [0x7E]. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your help in advance....
  6. Windows 10 Pro 1709 CU

Windows 10 Pro 1709 CU: Hi , I'm facing below mentioned error when executing offline updates i.e KB4516066 and KB4512575 on Windows 10 Pro (1709) on Multiple System's. "This Update is not Applicable to your computer" Note:- It directly fetches 1809 version when I'm trying to update via online...
  7. How can I upgrade my Win 10 64bit home ed to Win 10 64bit pro?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I upgrade my Win 10 64bit home ed to Win 10 64bit pro?: I want to upgrade my Win 10 64bit home ed to Win 10 64bit pro, can it be done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-upgrade-my-win-10-64bit-home-ed-to-win/b70e49ce-e3da-4f0a-9725-9af0db3ac449"
  8. Geninstallere Win 10 Pro 64bit

Geninstallere Win 10 Pro 64bit: Jeg fik opdateret min win7pro og optog backop med acronic. Min computer blev muligvis infecteret med virus så jeg slettede alt og omformaterede alle 3 harddiske på computeren Indsatte min recovery disk men halvvejs igennem installeringen af backkopen stoppede den og sagde...
  9. How to turn on firewall Win 10 Pro 64bit

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to turn on firewall Win 10 Pro 64bit: Been using Bitdefender Firewall for years...but I need to disable Bitdefender and re-enable Windows firewall. Bitdefender FW disabled but can't get Windows FW to enable Can not find suggestion that works to turn Windows 10 Pro firewall back on ? Thanks...TiminAz 68143
  10. Win 10 missing text labels.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 missing text labels.: Whats up with the missing text labels? Sometimes its my start menu sometimes its the right click menu. [img] 40689