Windows 10: Multiple Win 10 devices not staying linked to Microsoft Account

Discus and support Multiple Win 10 devices not staying linked to Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My workplace has 25 laptops with valid Win 7 keys. They were upgraded to Win 10 with a valid digital license for each. When it came to my attention... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DRP36 Tech, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Multiple Win 10 devices not staying linked to Microsoft Account

My workplace has 25 laptops with valid Win 7 keys. They were upgraded to Win 10 with a valid digital license for each. When it came to my attention they are required to be linked for reactivation i.e. in case of hardware change, I established a Microsoft Account for them.

This is a contracted Government facility and their restrictions require the majority of my units to function with a local user account and no internet access. Access is only allowed for periodic updating and strictly controlled. Only the first 3 units I entered will stay permanently linked once they are changed back to their local user accounts. Any additional units appear in the devices section while they are MSA active, but immediately disappear once they are changed back to the local account.

How do I keep the others? Do I have to now make 8 or more MSA accounts because there is a 3 unit limit of "local user" devices? Honestly speaking, that is unacceptable and appears to be another effort to 'coerce' users into not using local accounts. The 1803 build comes to mind.

As I stated previously, I am required to keep the all of them with local user accounts and the majority of them offline except for periodic updating. As it stands now, if one of the non-linked units crashed while maintaining hard drive integrity, I am unable to reactivate it when installed in the replacement laptop. This would necessitate a labor intensive effort to retrieve all data and programs, install Win 7 with the original key, upgrade to Win 10 again if that's still possible, and reinstall the data and programs. Activation Troubleshooter WILL NOT let you use the "hardware changed" function if the device is not previously linked. Been there, done that with the wife's PC accidentally on a motherboard change.

Appreciate any help or guidance to fix or workaround this issue. I have posted this with the MSA site as a problem report as well.

Thanks all.

P. S. - A final thought and opinion...this seems to be a violation of the User agreement as I am denied the capability of reactivation through no fault of my own while making unrealistic accommodations to Microsoft.

:)

DRP36 Tech, Jan 30, 2020
  2. AFJ
    AFJ Win User

Remove Microsoft linked account in Windows 10

This question refers to steps 3 and 4 in the thread How to rename the User folder in Windows 10?

The troublesome steps are:

3) Remove original Microsoft linked account

4) Link local account to Microsoft account if you wish

I was stuck on those 2 steps. I couldn't find a way in Windows 10 to remove the Microsoft account.

Any ideas?

3. Brink Win User
    Unknown devices on my Microsoft account

Hello Flemmingk, Multiple Win 10 devices not staying linked to Microsoft Account :)

Could these other devices be from friends that you may have signed in to your Microsoft account on for something?

Either way, you can remove these devices.

*Arrow Microsoft Account - Remove Devices User Accounts Tutorials

Afterwards to be safe, I would recommend to change the password of your Microsoft account, and enable two-step verification if you haven't already.

Change Password of Account in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Turn On or Off Microsoft Account Two-step Verification User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Jan 30, 2020
  4. Addie Win User

Multiple Win 10 devices not staying linked to Microsoft Account

Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

Hello Ken,

Im using Win10 Build 1607 with all latest update.

I also run all related troubleshooters:
    • Windows Update
    • Store Apps (says i have to login in my microsoft account but thats the problem, i can't)
    • Microsoft Accounts

No Problem found. Also the suggestions from Microsoft didnt helped.

Addie, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

Multiple Win 10 devices not staying linked to Microsoft Account

1. Multiple Win 10 devices not staying linked to Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Multiple devices staying

2. Microsoft Account for linked devices

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Account for linked devices: Hi, I was just wondering about this concern here.Recently, I offered to sell one of my laptops to the company I am affiliated with, for site deployment; a gesture of "helping out". I did the whole sign-out, uninstall, wipe and clean install as per IT. Now it uses a local...
  3. Microsoft Account for linked devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Account for linked devices: Hi, I was just wondering about this concern here.Recently, I offered to sell one of my laptops to the company I am affiliated with, for site deployment; a gesture of "helping out". I did the whole sign-out, uninstall, wipe and clean install as per IT. Now it uses a local...
  4. Microsoft Account for linked devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple devices in Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple devices in Microsoft account: My daughter logged into her Microsoft account with her new computer not realizing her old computer was still listed as a device. It it appears it may have copied all the old computer files onto the new computer. Is that possible? And if it is possible how can we restore...
  6. How to find the Microsoft account linked to a device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to find the Microsoft account linked to a device: Hello, I have begun to receive an error when I try to use my PIN to login to my laptop that states: "Your password was changed on a different device. You must sign in to this device once with your new password, and then you can sign in with your PIN". The problem is that...
  7. No applicable device linked to your Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No applicable device linked to your Microsoft account: I am currently trying to install Disney+. I have a windows 10 and it is linked to microsoft on every app i have that can be linked to Microsoft but it still says i dont have an applicable device linked to my Microsoft account. Ive double checked and tried at least a dozen...
  8. Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro: Hi, just installed new PC and have following issue: - I do not see option on account tab to link my local account to Microsoft account ("sing in with Microsoft Account instead") - As note - I can add Microsoft accounts of family members including me. - I also do not see...
  9. Linking Win 10 to my Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Linking Win 10 to my Microsoft Account: To be short: I am wondering about the pros and cons of linking my Windows 10 to my MS account. And, I am unclear if doing that will change my login to my local Windows 10 installation. (My desk top with win10.) I currently use a local pw (administrator). Thanks for any...
  10. ‘No applicable devices linked to Microsoft account’

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ‘No applicable devices linked to Microsoft account’: i have been trying to download sims 4 on my windows 10 lenovo. It says ‘you own this game’ and gives me the option to ‘install on my devices’ however when i click this, it tells me i dont have any applicable devices linked to my microsoft account. I do have a microsoft...