Windows 10: My Documents not pointing to correct folder

Discus and support My Documents not pointing to correct folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Not sure where to post this query so aplogies if this is in the wrong place. History: Two weeks ago after an update, my WIn 10 laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ArtDent, Sep 5, 2016.

1. ArtDent Win User

My Documents not pointing to correct folder

Hello,

Not sure where to post this query so aplogies if this is in the wrong place.

History: Two weeks ago after an update, my WIn 10 laptop wouldn't boot (black screen with flashing underscore cursor).

Finally managed to resolve the issue and get the PC to boot into Windows 10 with no loss of programs or data (so I guess you could chalk this up as a success !), however, the 'My Documents' folder and 'Pictures' under 'This PC' are all empty but if I navigate to C:/users/username both My Documents and Pictures have all my old stuff in them (which I can happily access).

How can I get the 'My Documents' and 'Pictures' folders under 'This PC' to point to the correct folder (on C:drive where all my old stuff is)?

Also, I suspect that I now have the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, but looking in Control Panel > System it simply says Windows 10. There is no build number nor any mention of SP1 or 'Anniversary Edition' - so how can I check what version of Windows 10 I now have? Windows Update simply reports that everything is 'up to date'.

Is there a tutorial anywhere as to how to get various intems like 'Notepad', 'Calculator', 'Control Panel', 'Command Prompt' etc as tiles on the start menu? I managed this over a year ago to get a kind of watered down Win 8/Win 10 start menu where it looked very similar to Windows 7. I've managed to get Word/Excel/Powerpoint pinned to the start menu as small tiles and grouped into a section titled 'Microsoft Office' and also get rid of other stuff (like what looked like a games tile), but I'd like to get the start menu back to something like it was (Windows 7 style) before the machine fell over a couple of weeks back.

Finally, I now have a black taskbar (which I hate) and would love to change the colour to blue or grey. I'm guessing that there is a simple way to do this but I haven't managed to suss it out yet. Themes seems to do nothing to change this.

Any help with the above gratefully received.

Art

:)

ArtDent, Sep 5, 2016
  2. Cool-Ya Win User

Incorrectly move my Documents folder to the local disk D:

Incorrectly move my Documents folder to the local disk D:. I tried to fix my mistake and change the "Personal" parameter in the registry to the correct location in D:\Documents. But even after restart "This computer" displays folder for "Documents" that's
    linked to the D:\. How I can fix it to point to the correct location?

Cool-Ya, Sep 5, 2016
  3. one72 Win User
    Quick Access Folders Point to the Same Folder

In the process of trying to have Quick Access folders (easily confusable with Libraries) point to different locations, I somehow ended up with them pointing to the same folder (e.g. 'Pictures' points to 'Documents', 'Music' points to 'Documents', etc.).
    I tried the 'Restore Default' on the 'Locations' tab of the 'Properties' dialog, but they all change to the same default, not different ones for each (Pictures, Music, etc.).

Is there a simple way to correct this -- so they point to their respective folders?

Thanks.

one72, Sep 5, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Art, *Smile

You might see if using the .bat files in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below for your affected folders may help.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/restore-default-location-of-personal-folders-in-windows-10.7049/

The tutorial below can help show you how to pin items to your Start screen as tiles.

'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10

The tutorial below can help show you how to have your selected color show on Start, taskbar, and action center.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

If you want the color to show only on your taskbar, then you can use the method in the tutorial below instead.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 5, 2016
Thema:

1. My Documents not pointing to correct folder - Similar Threads - Documents pointing correct

2. After restoring from a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.

in Windows 10 Customization
    After restoring from a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.: In Windows 10, I wrote a little desktop app and I store user data in C:\Users\Public\Documents\MyCoolApp\I thought that Windows System Restore didn't touch this area. But am i wrong?I just recovered from a restore point and my folder contents have been reverted.Ideas?...
  3. Windows 11 default folder pointed to Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 default folder pointed to Documents: Windows 11 in workgroupTrying to redirect to default documentshave restarted explorerhave rebooted machinehave entered %USERPROFILE%\Documentsfollowing https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2936105/operation-to-change-a-personal-folder-location-fails-in-windowsget error...
  4. Windows 11 default folder pointed to Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 default folder pointed to Documents: Windows 11 in workgroupTrying to redirect to default documentshave restarted explorerhave rebooted machinehave entered %USERPROFILE%\Documentsfollowing https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2936105/operation-to-change-a-personal-folder-location-fails-in-windowsget error...
  5. My documents folder in Windows Explorer points to a one drive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My documents folder in Windows Explorer points to a one drive folder: When I got a new laptop, OneDrive hijacked my folders. Itsoon reached it’s limit as my pictures are quite large. I have tried hard to eliminate OneDrive, there are plenty ofbetter cloud storage and back-up options for me. I followed some advice about pointing the...
  6. My documents folder

My documents folder: Keeps opening up constantly while I am doing something else...how can I stop this....Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-documents-folder/467e2868-f0b1-44be-b64b-bbc1371d2de1
  7. my documents folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    my documents folder: I am unable to access the my documents folder any information on how to solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-documents-folder/371f1ccf-10b6-4320-9926-c5546cf1950e
  8. Windows 10 Documents folder points to wrong location

Windows 10 Documents folder points to wrong location: Brand new installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. In Explorer, the "Documents" link under "This PC" on the left hand folder tree points to OneDrive, not my Documents folder. Attempting to change its location results by going to Properties > Location > Restore Default...
  9. "This PC" My Documents folder pointing to One Drive and Cannot Change

in Windows 10 Support
    "This PC" My Documents folder pointing to One Drive and Cannot Change: Not sure how it happened, but now both the One Drive - My Documents and the This PC - My Documents shortcuts in the file explorer both point to the "One Drive" My Documents folder. AND apparently that setting was backed up to One Drive, because my new PC now has that setting...
  10. Documents folder in quick access pointing to wrong place.

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder in quick access pointing to wrong place.: Hi, In the quick access area of the file browser the documents folder is pointing to a drive that no longer exists. The folder is pinned to the top of the file list and it wont unpin. How do I either unpin it or make it point to the correct location. Many Thanks 27250