Windows 10: Pinned Files on Taskbar Don't Work, Can't Unpin, Can't Pin New

Discus and support Pinned Files on Taskbar Don't Work, Can't Unpin, Can't Pin New in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! Did the Win 10 update last night. Now I can't run my pinned Excel files ("The item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GHDave, Nov 16, 2015.

1. GHDave Win User

Pinned Files on Taskbar Don't Work, Can't Unpin, Can't Pin New

Hi!

Did the Win 10 update last night. Now I can't run my pinned Excel files ("The item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed, or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list?") But when I say Yes, it's not removed. If I click the icon for "Unpin from this list" it is also not removed. If I right click the item on the Pinned list and click "Unpin from this list" it is not removed. If I drag the file from its folder down to the icon ("Pin to Microsoft Excel") nothing changes.

The update apparently changed the locations of all the pinned files from my nonstandard location (D:\Dropbox\Current where D is my Data drive) to elsewhere (C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Dropbox\Current, which location does not exist). I can't figure out how to change this. The pinned list seems to be somehow locked so I can't change it, and this is the essence of the problem. Any ideas, anyone? Anti-kudos to Microsoft for forking this up.

:)

GHDave, Nov 16, 2015

2. Pinned shortcuts won't work in Windows 10

This is still unresolved. I can't unpin any documents and new recent files don't appear in the list. I have managed to pin a new file to the recent excel list by dragging and dropping the file onto the excel icon in the task bar, but can't then permanently
    pin it by clicking on the pin icon.

This is most frustrating.

Malcolm Green FD, Nov 16, 2015
  3. Pin Folder to Taskbar

I'm not having any luck in pinning a folder to the taskbar. I have one folder pinned there but can't seem to duplicate it.

I select the folder in file explorer, right click and select "pin to start". Then, I should be able to go to start, right click the folder and select "pin to taskbar" but that isn't an option. I get unpin, resize and open as three choices.

I tried dragging the folder but that didn't work. The taskbar is unlocked if that matters. Was this removed as an option?

MichaelGerbasio, Nov 16, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 16, 2015
  5. GHDave Win User
    OK, I did that, Indeed all apps were cleared. I then re-pinned Excel. When I right click, the same list of pinned files is there, as described in the original post, and those items cannot be changed, deleted or overwritten. Can you point me toward something that will clear the pinned FILES list? Thanks!

GHDave, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 16, 2015
  7. GHDave Win User
    Here is a screenshot:

Pinned Files on Taskbar Don't Work, Can't Unpin, Can't Pin New [​IMG]

As I said in the first post, all those files listed under "Pinned" point to a bogus location. I can't delete them, modify them, or overwrite them. It would appear that something is locked.

I've tried unpinning Excel from both Start and Taskbar and rebooting, then re-adding. This list of files won't go away, and items can't be deleted or modified. Repeat from first post, this began today after I did the Windows Update.

ADDENDUM: I even tried something else, in desperation: I created folders/subfolders at the bogus location these pinned items pointed to, so the location was no longer bogus, then copied a few of the files referred to there. Rebooted. The files won't open (from the jump list), nor, still, can the pinned items be deleted.

GHDave, Nov 16, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

If this is only happening with Excel, then you might see if completely uninstalling and reinstalling Excel may be able to clear it.

Brink, Nov 16, 2015
  9. GHDave Win User
    Well, somehow last November I solved this problem. But I can't remember how I did it! *Redface Now, with the Anniversary Edition Win10 update, I have the same *&%~#} problem! I've done all the things mentioned above, up to and including uninstalling Excel (with Revo in Advanced mode) and reinstalling it, and the cursed files are still pinned where they were, and nothing will remove them. Windows updates insist on resetting where my data is, changing the pointer to C:/Users . . . I have an SSD for operating system and another (spinning) drive for files, so I need to point the data to the data drive. Suggestions, anyone? Help?

GHDave, Aug 3, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Dave, *Smile

I'm sorry to hear that the issue is back. Try the .bat file in OPTION ONE of the tutorial below again to see if it may help now. It normally will reset and clear all jump lists including pinned items in them.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...set-clear.html

Brink, Aug 3, 2016
  11. GHDave Win User
    That didn't work. What did work was found in this thread:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...a.html#option2

The file is called Clear_File_Explorer_History.bat.

I'll make a note of this so that when the next update breaks this I'll know what to do. But it would be much better if updates wouldn't break this in the first place!

GHDave, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Pinned Files on Taskbar Don't Work, Can't Unpin, Can't Pin New - Similar Threads - Pinned Files Taskbar

2. Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working: I'm at the end of my rope trying to fix this. Not sure "when" this started by I can no longer pin apps to the taskbar nor can I unpin apps that are already pinned. I don't even have the "option" to attempt either action. When I right click on an app that is in the taskbar I...
  3. Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working: I'm at the end of my rope trying to fix this. Not sure "when" this started by I can no longer pin apps to the taskbar nor can I unpin apps that are already pinned. I don't even have the "option" to attempt either action. When I right click on an app that is in the taskbar I...
  4. Can't login to my account without PIN, can't change PIN without PIN, don't know PIN.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't login to my account without PIN, can't change PIN without PIN, don't know PIN.: The problem began because my OneNote was logged out of one of my microsoft accounts - the account associated with my Windows laptop. To log back in, it demands either my fingerprint reader, which stopped working, or my PIN, which I can't remember. I can't change my pin from...
  5. Can't pin program to taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin program to taskbar: I can not pin anything to my taskbar. I've tried from Start, from open program and from icon on the taskbar when program is open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-pin-program-to-taskbar/82ea8105-391c-4b9d-bd1d-156e5a3e0a3c
  6. Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!: My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 7000, updated to Windows 10 Home version 1083. I am having trouble pinning and unpinning apps to my taskbar. The issue is a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best to describe it. I've also attached screenshots to help clarify. When I...
  7. Can't pin IE to taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Can't pin IE to taskbar: On my Surface Pro 3 I am unable to pin Internet Explorer to the taskbar. I have tried all of the different ways to do it but I am only given the option of pinning it to the start menu. Also if I click on "send to" I do not get the option to pin to taskbar there either. I can...
  8. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  9. Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc.: In 7 I could right-click open programs in the taskbar to pin or unpin them. Since I use a "Quick Launch" toolbar instead of pinned items, I wanted to get rid of the pinned Edge, Explorer, and Store icons, but right-clicking them did nothing. I can shift-click them, but that...
  10. Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar: I just noticed today that I am unable to right click on an item on the taskbar making it not possible to pin or unpin. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? 21007

Users found this page by searching for:

1. missing files wont unpin from mS excel

2. pinned items on taskbar dont work