Windows 10: Playback device changes spontaneously to one of my monitors

Discus and support Playback device changes spontaneously to one of my monitors in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using a docking station (Lenovo ThinkPad Ultra Dock 90W Portreplikator) which I plug my headphone to. If I select the Speaker/HP playback device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Anders Lindén, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Playback device changes spontaneously to one of my monitors

I am using a docking station (Lenovo ThinkPad Ultra Dock 90W Portreplikator) which I plug my headphone to.

If I select the Speaker/HP playback device in the volume control widget, the sound will play in my headphone.

However, sometimes when I have started up windows fresh (docked the computer to another docking station in between), the playback device will be changed to one my DELL monitors.

Why?

:)

Anders Lindén, Oct 14, 2019

2. How To Change Monitor Audio To Motherboard Audio

Hi Saurav,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Do you want to use your external speakers for the audio instead of the monitor speakers?
    2. Are you hearing the audio both from your external speakers and the monitor speakers?

Meanwhile, you may try the below steps to change the playback device and check if this helps.

1. Select on the Start button > Type Sound in the search box > Select
      Sound from the list of results.
    2. Go to Playback tab > Select your Sound System Device that you want to hear the audio from > Then click on
      Set Default.
    3. Restart the computer once and check if this helps.

We're looking forward to your response.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 14, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Oct 14, 2019
  4. Playback device changes spontaneously to one of my monitors

Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows  

How to Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

If you like, you can listen to your microphone through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone.

You can also listen to a portable music player or other device connected to the microphone jack through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone.

This tutorial will show you how to listen to microphone through a playback device such as speakers or headphone in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note If you listen to a connected microphone through speakers, you may hear feedback.

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sound icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open to the "Recording" tab in the Sound panel.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1

2. Click/tap on the Recording tab, and double click/tap on your default microphone device. (see screenshot below)

Playback device changes spontaneously to one of my monitors [​IMG]

3. Do step 4 (on) or step 5 (off) below for what you want to do.

4. Turn On Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device
    A) Click/tap on the Listen tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Check the Listen to this device box.

C) Under Playback through this device, select the playback device you want to listen through.

D) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

5. Turn Off Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Listen tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Uncheck the Listen to this device box.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

6. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

Playback device changes spontaneously to one of my monitors

1. Playback device changes spontaneously to one of my monitors - Similar Threads - Playback device changes

2. My playback device disappears when I turn on my second monitor??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My playback device disappears when I turn on my second monitor??: I have 2 monitors connected, both via DisplayPort on a 2080ti, and I want my audio coming through the primary monitor's internal speakers. If my main Monitor is the only one turned on, I get the playback device like this. When I turn on my second monitor, the playback...
  3. Is there a way to change the volume level of a playback device that's not the default one...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to change the volume level of a playback device that's not the default one...: I am pretty sure that the title is very descriptive, and shows what i want to achieve without a description. However i also know that some of you are curious why i would want to do that, well here's the (short) story behind it: Basically i am a Youtube and Twitch content...
  4. playback device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    playback device: no playback devices installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playback-device/6105a10c-d3d9-485c-8d05-1910a1572808
  5. Playback devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Playback devices: On my windows 10 fully updated. I can't separate the headphones from the speakers because they are both identified as one device in the playback devices. When I plug in the headphones, the sound is automatically played on it but when I switch back to the speaker, I must...
  6. Change Playback Device For Recording As Headset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Playback Device For Recording As Headset.: Whenever I use my Game DVR and record something on my Windows 10 computer the audio playback is picking up my voice from my monitor and NOT my headset, how do I get it to playback from my headset microphone? ***Changed Original Title From: Capture Voice Problem***...
  7. Spontaneous Volume Change

Spontaneous Volume Change: Occasionally my volume will change on its own. The volume control popup appears and volume goes up or down, sometimes to a painful result, however usually just annoying (volume down is more typical than volume up). I believe I know the cause. My laptop uses a Realtek Audio...
  8. Spontaneous Theme Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spontaneous Theme Change: Over the last few months, Windows 10 has been creating a new unsaved theme and making it current, overriding my preferred theme. I can switch back to my preferred theme and delete the spontaneously-created one, but it's really annoying as it sometimes happens several times...
  9. Cannot Change Default Playback Device

Cannot Change Default Playback Device: I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from windows 7 and I'm already starting to hate myself. I open the playback devices tab under sound and click on my Siberia v2 illuminated headset and click set as default device and it does nothing. I can't disable my speakers or...
  10. Playback devices

Playback devices: Before I received the Creators update, plugging my headphones into the front jack socket did not automatically switch the default playback device from speakers to headphones. I had to go to the playback device menu and do this manually. Since the update, plugging in the...