Windows 10: Remove uninstalled apps that show up on Windows Search

Discus and support Remove uninstalled apps that show up on Windows Search in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When using the Start Menu to search something that has been uninstalled, it still shows up there. It does nothing when pressed, and right-clicking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Phaellow, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Phaellow Win User

Remove uninstalled apps that show up on Windows Search

When using the Start Menu to search something that has been uninstalled, it still shows up there. It does nothing when pressed, and right-clicking doesn't work, even after reinstalling the app.

The apps are present for all users.

I tried searching for the links in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, but didn't find anything.

I also deleted the search index and disabled the indexation service; it had no effect.

As a last resort, I tried nuking every path/key that contained the application's name in the registry. I thought I was onto something when I found multiple infracting apps under a certain key, but deleting them proved useless (also, I'm sorry I can't find the key's name; it was something of a non-UWP app listing for the start menu, specifically).

I missed listing CCleaner, but I did run it.

I did reboot multiple times after trying each method, but it's always still there. The issue is, even when Skype is installed and there is a proper link in the Programs folder, if I press the Windows key and type Skype, the search result simply doesn't start it. Only if I manually scroll down to the Skype folder in the start menu and use the link inside it I can get it to start. I also can't right click it.

:)

Phaellow, Jun 30, 2017

2. Uninstalled apps still showing in search and windows store update Windows 10

Hi All,

I have uninstalled few apps in my windows 10. After that I have restarted PC.

When I search the app in search I am able to see the app and in windows store it is showing that app update available .

How can I remove this from search and store update.

Regards

Koti

kotir eddy, Jun 30, 2017
  3. JensKuhne Win User
    Windows 10 update to version 1607

Windows 10 update runs and says I must delete an incompatible app call 'DesignationCardManager' by doing a manual uninstall.

I was unable to locate this app on my computer, it didn't show up in the installed programs. I also ran Revo Uninstall Pro and it didn't show up there either.

I reinstalled the app and ran uninstall from programs and features. Restarted the PC and still getting the response from windows update that I need to manually uninstall this app.

I reinstalled the app again, ran Revo Uninstaller and removed the app and any legacy info in the registry.

Restarted the PC again and Windows update is still telling me I need to remove this app.

Please help

JensKuhne, Jun 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Can you clarify- when you say apps, do you mean universal apps like MS's Photos, Groove etc, or traditionally installed desktop programs?

The former do not use the registry, exe's or dlls, the latter do.

You mention Skype - there is both a Skype universal app and a Skype desktop program. To which are you referring?

How are you uninstalling these programs? From the Start menu, rt click the shortcut, click Uninstall?

dalchina, Jun 30, 2017
  5. Phaellow Win User
    I mean desktop apps. Here's a gif: Gfycat GIFs GIF | Create, Discover and Share on Gfycat

In the gif I shared, I try to both right-click and left-click. You can see nothing happens.

It clearly says "Desktop App" under the Skype name, it's just in Portuguese.

It's not the only app to which this is happening, I have a couple others. It seems random.

I uninstalled them using Apps & features and/or using Revo Uninstaller. However, the issue appeared the first time whilst Skype was installed. In retrospective, I should've named the thread "Random app search results do not work".

Right now Skype IS installed, and it still shows the behaviour you can see in the gif. If I uninstall it, the same thing will happen, as it is happening with other apps (right now StarCraft is the only one I can tell, but there might be more that I can't recall).

Phaellow, Jun 30, 2017
  6. Phaellow Win User
    I'm not quite sure why this was moved.

This is clearly an issue with Windows Search/Start Menu. The apps are properly uninstalled and they don't seem to be the cause of the problems.

Phaellow, Jun 30, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    You can try this:
    Start Menu Troubleshooter in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

And as a troubleshooting approach you can also try downloading and installing Classic Start Menu (free).
    This is an excellent and reliable program which behaves intuitively.

Using that, see if you still see any of the shortcuts you believe should not be there. If they are, rt clicking them should give you more options to find what and where they are.

To return to normal Win 10 just rt click its start button, click exit.

Also, you can try creating a new user for test purposes, and see if you have the same problems with that user. If not, it suggests something related to your current user account.

dalchina, Jun 30, 2017
  8. Phaellow Win User

By Classic Start Menu, do you mean this?

Also, I did mention on the original topic that the issue is present in all user accounts.

The Start Menu diagnostic cab did not find any issue.

Phaellow, Jun 30, 2017
  9. Phaellow Win User
    So, I installed Classic Shell. The unwanted/uninstalled apps do not show up under the All Programs list, nor do they show up when searching by their name.

Exiting back to the regular Start Menu shows the same erratic behaviour.

Phaellow, Jun 30, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Interesting- tends to suggest that wherever these shortcuts are, they aren't in the normal folders... as your earlier search of them found.

App Menu iconsshortcuts remaining after uninstalling the program - Microsoft Community

If that doesn't help, you could try installing a free search program such as Ultrasearch, Locate32 or Everything (these are such useful tools, often mentioned here- instant find as you type results anywhere on your disks) and see if they can find your shortcuts. (They need a short time to build an index).

Note the 3 locations in this:
    Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

dalchina, Jun 30, 2017
  11. Phaellow Win User
    Hey there,

I have searched in the 3 locations indicated in that tutorial, already. The fact that it shows up for all users in the local machine suggests it's not in a User folder/setting, so the MS Community tip was lackluster.

The search programs did not locate anything.

Phaellow, Jul 1, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    You could try these reset ideas- whether they will help I can't possibly say.
    How to reset the Start menu layout in Windows 10 - Winaero
    How to backup or reset the start menu in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News
    How to fix your Windows 10 start menu (reset tile database) - Spiceworks

Note some of these seem more directed at tiles.

Sorry, no more ideas. P.S. I don't use Win10's start menu... look what it does to my nested menus with sub-sub folders..

Remove uninstalled apps that show up on Windows Search [​IMG]

- those are all in the folders the relevant program created when it was installed. And you've probably guessed- I use Classic Shell start menu to avoid all these snags.

dalchina, Jul 1, 2017
  13. Phaellow Win User

The thing is, altough it seems to be a rogue start menu entry, if I manually browse through the start menu entries, I will not find the app... I only get the issue if I type in the app's name, in which I'll get a broken match (which probably suggests it's related to Windows Search).

Phaellow, Jul 1, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    See reset ideas in amended post above- just check carefully if that seems appropriate.

If you've rebuilt the search index, that leaves the possibility there's some sort of other cache, I suppose.

If you use search from Classic Shell (which also can use the Windows search database), does that find any of them?

Another approach might be to try to reset Cortana related data.
    Clear Personal Data and Information from Cortana Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    Perhaps option 5 - it's just a guess though.

dalchina, Jul 1, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jul 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Remove uninstalled apps that show up on Windows Search - Similar Threads - Remove uninstalled apps

2. Windows Search showing uninstalled apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search showing uninstalled apps: so my windows 10 pc is showing apps in search that are uninstalled. I uninstalled the app below but it still shows it in my search. when I click it it doesnt open. Any fix for this? I have tried restarting the search service but that didn't work. I feel like what will fix...
  3. Search showing uninstalled apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search showing uninstalled apps: so my windows 10 is showing search results of apps that are already deleted and there is only one button "open"for example, this app named Nilesoft Shell, I have uninstalled it from my computer but it still shows there. It can't open either....
  4. Windows Search showing uninstalled apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search showing uninstalled apps: so my windows 10 pc is showing apps in search that are uninstalled. I uninstalled the app below but it still shows it in my search. when I click it it doesnt open. Any fix for this? I have tried restarting the search service but that didn't work. I feel like what will fix...
  5. Search showing uninstalled apps

Search showing uninstalled apps: so my windows 10 is showing search results of apps that are already deleted and there is only one button "open"for example, this app named Nilesoft Shell, I have uninstalled it from my computer but it still shows there. It can't open either....
  6. Windows Search showing uninstalled apps

in Cortana
  7. Search showing uninstalled apps

in Cortana
  8. App not showing up in system or in search.

App not showing up in system or in search.: Hi, I am trying to up date to windows 11 and i need to uninstall virtualbox, but i had never installed it. I understand it is a virtual machine but i have searched my computer, documents and task manager trying to find it. I have admin privileges so that isn't the issue and i...
  9. Uninstalled program still shows up in Windows Search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Uninstalled program still shows up in Windows Search: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/_Just-Another-Person [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m77ogn/uninstalled_program_still_shows_up_in_windows/
  10. Uninstalled Minecraft but it still shows up in Windows Search

in Cortana
    Uninstalled Minecraft but it still shows up in Windows Search: Hello, as the title says, I've uninstalled Minecraft but it still shows up in Windows Search. If I click on it nothing happens and it also doesn't show the usual buttons other than "Open" (Open doesn't do anything either). [ATTACH] Here are the pictures showing that it is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows search result show uninstalled app

2. remove uninstalled apps that show up on windows search

3. windows 10 uninstalled fonts showing up