Windows 10: Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows

Discus and support Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows How to reset Hosts file back to default in Windows The Hosts file is used by the operating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows

How to: Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows

How to reset Hosts file back to default in Windows

The Hosts file is used by the operating system to map human-friendly hostnames to numerical Internet Protocol (IP) addresses which identify and locate a host in an IP network. The hosts file is one of several system resources that address network nodes in a computer network and is a common part of an operating system's IP implementation.

The Hosts file contains lines of text consisting of an IP address in the first text field followed by one or more host names. Each field is separated by white space (Tabs are often preferred for historical reasons, but spaces are also used). Comment lines may be included, and they are indicated by a hash character (#) in the first position of such lines. Entirely blank lines in the file are ignored.

If the Hosts file is changed from default, resetting it can help resolve some connectivity issues.

See also: How to reset the Hosts file back to the default | Windows Support

This tutorial will show you how to reset the Hosts file back to default in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to reset the Hosts file.

Here's How:

1 Open Notepad ("C:\Windows\notepad.exe").

2 Copy the following text below, and paste the text into Notepad. (see screenshot below)
    Code:
    Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows [​IMG]

3 Click/tap on File Alt + F in the menu bar of Notepad, and click/tap on Save As Ctrl + Shift + S. (see screenshot below)

4 Select your Desktop as the location to save the file to, type "hosts" (with quotes) for the file name, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

5 Close Notepad.

6 Press the Win + E keys to open File Explorer (Windows 8 or 10) or Windows Explorer (Windows 7).

7 Open the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder in File Explorer (Windows 8 or 10) or Windows Explorer (Windows 7).

8 Right click or press and hold on the hosts file in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder, and click/tap on Rename. (see screenshot below)

9 Rename hosts to hosts.old in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

This will be a backup of the current hosts file. You can rename this file from hosts.old to hosts to restore this backup.

10 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes to approve.

11 Drag and drop (move) the hosts file on your desktop from step 4 into the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. (see screenshot below)

12 If prompted, click/tap on Continue to approve. (see screenshot below)

13 You can now close File Explorer (Windows 8 or 10) or Windows Explorer (Windows 7). (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 23, 2018
  2. hmartyb Win User

Reseting Hosts Files to Default in Windows 10

No it isn't.

hmartyb, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Asi11 Win User

think my hosts file got modified

like the title indicate' my AV found a modified host and it makes my internet to work slowly, I read in support forum that there is a solution by resetting the host file by opening notepad and put a text inside it then save the notepad and replace it with
    the current host file. I want to know if I do so and resetting the host file, what changes will happen to my PC? I would need to sign in to all my websites again? or it will just reset without changing much?

this is the article that I found, maybe it will help you to understand better. hope it will help.

"

To reset the Hosts file back to the default, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad. To do this, search for “Notepad” using
      Cortana, and then tap or click the Notepad icon.
    2. Copy the following text, and then paste the text into the file:

1. Close Notepad.
    2. Search for
      %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc
      using Cortana, and then select the
      File folder icon.
    3. Tap and hold or right-click the Hosts file, select
      Rename, and then rename the file as "Hosts.old".
    4. Copy or move the Hosts file that you created in step 3 from the desktop to the
      %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder. If you are prompted to
      enter an administrator password, select
      Continue

Asi11, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Flava0ne Win User
    Editing the hosts file in Windows 7

I recently just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition and I need to edit the hosts file located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\. I've done this before on XP and Vista Ultimate 64-bit by opening the hosts file with Notepad. Only this time, when I opened it up with Notepad on Windows 7, it looked like this:

Code: # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp. # # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. # # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one # space. # # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. # # For example: # # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. # 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost[/quote] Where as on XP and Vista, it would look like this:

Code: Copyright (c) 1993-2008 Microsoft Corp. This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one space. Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. For example: 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost[/quote] So if I were to insert a line into the hosts file in Windows 7, would I have to add the # before the line or can I just simply put the line in without adding the # before it?

Flava0ne, Oct 27, 2019
  6. reset system folder (windows) permission back to default / original state

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

• Click "Search" and type File explorer options,Select it from the options
    • Click on Restore defaults.
    • Click Apply and OK.

Thanks,

Waseemulla S, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows - Similar Threads - Reset Hosts file

2. How do I set Hosts file back to default on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I set Hosts file back to default on Windows 11?: There is some help on the website about changing the Hosts file back to default on Windows 10, 8. and earlier on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default-c2a43f9d-e176-c6f3-e4ef-3500277a6dae But couldn't find one for Windows...
  3. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default: I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??...
  4. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default: I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??...
  5. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Reset Host file to default?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reset Host file to default?: So i found this artical of how to reset the host to default so the file is nolonger empty on notepad, but i dont entirely comprehend it could someone please help me?our internet provider is comcast...
  7. Reset Host file to default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Host file to default?: So i found this artical of how to reset the host to default so the file is nolonger empty on notepad, but i dont entirely comprehend it could someone please help me?our internet provider is comcast...
  8. Reset Host file to default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. How to reset file types back to default?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset file types back to default?: Hi, im curious on how to reset all file types back to default in windows 10? 178249
  10. Reset files and folders icon back to default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reset files and folders icon back to default: Hello, my name is Daniel and a friend of mine has recently told me to use custom desktop themes. So, from the image as you can see, I've done it. But the problem is, I wanted to bring it back to default. I have tried doing some research on google. I uninstalled the app that...