Windows 10: Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout-What You Need to Know

Discus and support Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout-What You Need to Know in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; >>Many thanks to Kari for his input<< ZDNet warns of Windows 10 email scam; encrypts data for ransom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by simrick, Aug 3, 2015.

1. simrick Win User

Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout-What You Need to Know

>>Many thanks to Kari for his input<<

ZDNet warns of Windows 10 email scam; encrypts data for ransom
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...tag=TREc64629f

Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout
    What You Need to Know

If you’re still waiting for your Windows 10 upgrade, you’re not alone. But, don’t be fooled if you receive an email purporting to be from Microsoft, with an attachment for you to “upgrade now”. It’s a virus, and if you run it, your files will be encrypted, and a ransom for decryption required to be paid in Bitcoin.

If you’re trying to upgrade to Windows 10 and it fails with a screen pop up telling you to call for tech support, don’t call the number. It won’t be a Microsoft number you’ve called. It’s likely a scammer, trying to make money off you to “fix” your problem. Chances are, there’s some spyware/malware/adware on your system which triggered the popup. You’ll need to get your system clean before attempting the upgrade again.

If you’ve gotten the popup and already called the number, it’s recommended you take some additional steps:Did you use any email login information? Change your password NOW.

Did you let them remote into your computer to “fix” things? Change ALL your passwords, and do that from a clean computer, NOW. Even if your hard drive data is encrypted, they had potential access to your encryption/decryption credentials. Your computer has been compromised, and the only sure solution is to full-format (not quick format) your hard drive, and reinstall the operating system.

Did someone talk you into paying for a service which Microsoft provide for free? Notify your bank and cancel your credit/debit card. You might even put a fraud alert on your account through credit monitoring services.
    Sad to say, but scammers are always ready and willing to exploit every situation that comes around, including the Windows 10 upgrade rollout. If you’re not sure about something, research it, post here in TenForums, and someone will be able to help you sort things.

Here are some tips and links for assistance if you think you may have been scammed:

• If not absolutely sure you are talking directly with MS support, ask them to call you back and check the validity of the phone number. You can find the Microsoft official Global Customer Service phone numbers here:

http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/cus...cpickshow=true.

Select your country from the list and call the number shown; ask if the phone number calling you or which you'd like to call is indeed their official support.

• Microsoft will never try to sell you an extended support plan or extended warranty. If the "support" you are talking to is trying to sell you something, it's a sure sign of an ongoing scam.

• If you have reason to suspect that the scammer's activities have compromised your Windows sign-in MS Account, and you simply cannot or do not want to discard it, be sure to check that the account security contact information is up-to-date and set up Two-Step Verification if it’s not already on. See tutorial:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...-turn-off.html

• If you can discard the MS Account email but don’t want to lose your inbox content and OneDrive files, this procedure is quite easy and fast, and allows you to keep all your email messages and OneDrive content in a new MS Account:
    1. Switch to a local account tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    2. Sign in to your MS Account; remove your computers from trusted devices tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    3. Create a new account alias tutorial:http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...dd-remove.html
    4. Make the new alias primary tutorial:http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ss-change.html
    5. Remove the old primary alias, your original MS Account email, tutorial:See step 3 above.
    6. Switch your local account back to an MS Account, this time using the new primary alias tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    That’s it! Your Windows 10 sign-in MS Account is now changed, and all your email messages and OneDrive files are still intact.

:)

simrick, Aug 3, 2015

2. Version 20. & 3 What You Need to know (Wifi ONLY Axcess)

Once you have installed the new firmware you will not be able to define axcess point only WiFi you acnnot select 3 and in settings you always get axcess denied. there fore you need to do the following to fix this issue. (Hard & soft reset does NOT work

You need to ring 3 on 0800 3586795 or 0800 3586796 after you have installed Version 20.0.019 you will then be sent a text with the correct settings. Open the text and click save.

Hope this helps you all

fazerboy09, Aug 3, 2015
  3. ichapman---01, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Well done Simrick! A good and informative post.

Kari, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Dude Win User
    Agreed, very informative simrick

Dude, Aug 3, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    Thanks Dude, and thanks Kari for your input!

simrick, Aug 3, 2015
  7. elbmek Win User
    Excellent piece of info.

elbmek, Dec 7, 2015
  8. DeeC Win User

Thank you Simrick, for all this information. I don't have another computer to use but I am going to call the MS phone number you provided. I wish it were easier to talk to them. I feel like kicking myself!!

9. DeeC Win User
    Thank you Simrick, for all this information. I don't have another computer to use but I am going to call the MS phone number you provided. I wish it were easier to talk to them. I feel like kicking myself!!

10. simrick Win User
    You're quite welcome. Sorry you got scammed. Please be sure to call AmEx, change passwords, and get that computer scanned with my suggestion in your thread.

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
  11. Atomic77 Win User
    Oh my gosh I would really be mad if that happened to me. The world is filled with scams these days.

Atomic77, Jan 13, 2016
  12. elbmek Win User
    I signed up with Internet Support for my pc about 9 months ago. The company has become extremely suspect in my eyes after watching them install a copy of MS Office using what I now find out is illegal software, I know the name of it, but cannot publicise. I contacted them when I had to reinstall 10 due to some problem or other and asked them to reinstall MS Office. After several attempts to get a reply they 'came down the tubes' and installed MS Office. This is when I noted the illegal software and mentioned it in here to a member who gave me some really startling info on this illegal stuff.

Since then I have contacted this company called Micro PC Support of Hounslow, Middlesex to get the MS Office correctly and legally activated. Since installation, I am getting the attached message when opening Office. I spoke to the police who advised Trading Standards, and eventually spoke to Trading Standards in Hounslow who advised me to send a recorded delivery letter to the company Secretary/Director, which I did. They also stated that they are going to visit the company concerned.

As the Company are allegedly Microsoft Accredited I also emailed and called MS UK, but I have no idea what they are doing about it.

As it stands, I have a copy of MS Office awaiting activation, MS said they want £50 to correct the issue but I said no, I have already paid the company for activation and the fact that they did it illegally, is not my fault. MS hung up.

This is the company, dont touch them with the proverbial barge pole.

Micro PC Support, Ved Court, Alexandra Road, Hounslow, TW3 1LS

elbmek, Feb 2, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Thanks @elbmek for the heads-up to everyone. *Thumbs

simrick, Feb 2, 2016
  14. elbmek Win User
    I contacted the company by signed for letter on 29 Jan; they deemed it necessary not to reply. Anyway, today they rang me up and said it was time for my quarterly check, I said no but you can damn well fix etc etc. I was told if I have a problem anytime call them I said how many times do you want me to damn well call??? Emails, phone calls letters etc. I was told no problem we will fix it now. Half an hour later I am still waiting for an active, accurate, product key. When they finally come back to me in Team Viewer, they started to load a certain program I have mentioned before, as soon as my AVG lit up, I pulled the plug!!

It took them another half hour to realise I was no longer connected, and they phoned me up, AFTER I sent an email stating 'see you in court'. They said we can reconnect and install ............... I said wait, there is nothing wrong with MS office BUT your key was fraudulently obtained and MS did not recognise it when I spoke to them. Oh she said, you have spoken to MS. I said dont you ever read my emails. I have also spoken to the police and Trading Standards. MS want £50 to install a genuine key. So can we she said but it may take 24 - 48 hours to get one (???????) I said do it and I will consider the matter closed. I got MS office 2013 for £150 instead of £350, so I said get back to me on Wednesday next at 1000 hrs and we shall see whether or not I am still going to court.

They said they would ......................................................

I have already started the online form for the Govt Small Claims courts and am not going to canel it until MS Office 2103 has been running for at least 6 months trouble free. I also told them I would not be renewing my support contract with them.

elbmek, Feb 21, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    Old game, new trick. Anyone opening attachments from unknown sources, should get slapped on the knuckles.

Just means more downloads from majorgeeks.com for the tools to fix the problem. Plus more beer and bottles of Scotch for me.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout-What You Need to Know - Similar Threads - Scammers Exploit Upgrade

2. Are you scammers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are you scammers?: Your app store failed to deliver the upgrade I paid for and double charged me. Your phone IVR system has decided my issue is not important enough to route to a live rep. Are you kidding me? You are going to make me report you to my card provider as fraudulent....
  3. Are you scammers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are you scammers?: Your app store failed to deliver the upgrade I paid for and double charged me. Your phone IVR system has decided my issue is not important enough to route to a live rep. Are you kidding me? You are going to make me report you to my card provider as fraudulent....
  4. Windows 10’s frustrating upgrade flaw fixed: What you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s frustrating upgrade flaw fixed: What you need to know: A new Windows 10 optional update, which is now rolling out to users, finally resolves problems with the in-place upgrade. Windows 10 has always offered multiple methods for upgrading the operating system, but with the release of the October 2020 Update, one of those upgrade...
  5. Windows 10 21H1, 21H2 and UI upgrade: What you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 21H1, 21H2 and UI upgrade: What you need to know: Microsoft under Satya Nadella is more on the enterprise side of its business, but Nadella has finally confirmed that Microsoft is fully committed to Windows 10. Over the past few years, Windows 10 itself has been enterprise-focused and Microsoft is no longer releasing...
  6. What is Windows 10X? Everything you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    What is Windows 10X? Everything you need to know: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft took off the wraps from various new Surface devices and software features for Windows 10. They not only announced not only new devices but also new features that would be available. One of the new Surface devices announced was [...] This post What...
  7. What is Conhost.exe? Everything you need to know.

in Windows 10 News
    What is Conhost.exe? Everything you need to know.: [ATTACH] What is Conhost.exe process? Is it useful or do I need to remove it? Is it a virus? Why is it running on my PC with high CPU, Memory or Disk usage? Console Window Host or ConHost.exe are both are [...] This post What is Conhost.exe? Everything you need to know. is...
  8. Meltdown and Spectre: what you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Meltdown and Spectre: what you need to know: Overview If you’ve been keeping up with computer news over the last few days, you might have heard about Meltdown and Spectre, and you might be wondering what they are and what they can do. Basically, Meltdown and Spectre are the names for multiple new vulnerabilities...
  9. What You Need to Know Before You Go to Microsoft Inspire

in Windows 10 News
    What You Need to Know Before You Go to Microsoft Inspire: Microsoft Inspire is just over a week away. Are you getting ready? Are you getting excited? We definitely are. So just like us, you should be sure to double check your travel arrangements, download the Know Before You Go guide and get the mobile app to make sure you’re ready...
  10. What you need to know about DDR4 memory

in Windows 10 News
    What you need to know about DDR4 memory: Most computer technologies only last a short time before they are replaced by something new, but DDR RAM is one of the few that tends to last a while before being replaced. The original DDR SDRAM was launched in 2000 and lasted three years before being replaced in 2003 by...