Windows 10: Delete File in Windows 10

Discus and support Delete File in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete File in Windows 10 How to Delete a File in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you different ways on how to delete a file in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 6, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Delete File in Windows 10

How to: Delete File in Windows 10

How to Delete a File in Windows 10

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to delete a file in Windows 10.

*note Deleting a file from a removable drive will be permanently deleted by default.

*note Deleting a file from an internal drive will be deleted to the empty the Recycle Bin.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Delete File using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Select the file(s) you want to delete, and press the keys you want in the table below.
    [table][tr][td]Keyboard Shortcut[/td] [td]Action Performed[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Ctrl+D[/td] [td]Delete to Recycle Bin[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Del or Delete[/td] [td]Delete to Recycle Bin[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Shift+Delete[/td] [td]Permanently delete[/td] [/tr] [/table]

2. If you chose to permanently delete, then either click/tap on Yes, press Y, or press Enter to confirm. (see screenshot below)

Delete File in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Delete File from File Explorer Ribbon
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on Home tab. (see screenshot below)

3. Navigate to and select the file(s) you want to delete.

4. Perform the action you want to do below:
    A) Click/tap on the Delete button in the ribbon to delete to Recycle Bin.

OR

B) Click/tap on the arrow under the Delete button in the ribbon, and click/tap on Recycle or Delete permanently in the drop menu for what you want.

5. If you chose to permanently delete, then either click/tap on Yes, press Y, or press Enter to confirm. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Delete File from Context Menu
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Navigate to the file you want to delete.

3. Perform the action you want to do below:

A) Right click or press and hold on the file, and either press the D key or click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below)

OR

B) Press and hold Shift key and right click on the file, release the Shift key, and either press the D key or click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Permanently Delete File in PowerShell
    *note For more Remove-Item command usage details, see: Remove-Item | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open elevated PowerShell depending on the required rights to delete the file you want.

2. Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Remove-Item -Path "Full path of file with extension" -Force

*note Substitute Full path of file with extension in the command above with the actual full path of the file with its extension you want to delete.

For example: Remove-Item -Path "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\File.txt" -Force

3. When finished, you can close the Powershell window if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Permanently Delete File in Command Prompt
    *note For more del command usage details, see: del | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open a elevated command prompt depending on the required rights to delete the file you want.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow del /f /s /q /a "Full path of file with extension"

*note Substitute Full path of file with extension in the command above with the actual full path of the file with its extension you want to delete.

For example: del /f /s /q /a "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\File.txt"

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt window if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] Permanently Delete File in Command Prompt at Boot
    1. Boot to a command prompt at boot.

2. To Verify Drive Letter the File is in at Boot
    *note The drive letter may not always be the same at boot as in Windows, so be sure to verify its drive letter before doing the command in step 3 below for this to work.
    A) Type diskpart into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

B) Type list volume into the command prompt, and press Enter.

C) From the listed volumes, look for and verify the drive letter of the drive that includes the folder you want to delete.

D) In the command prompt, type exit, and press Enter.

3. To Delete the File
    A) Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow del /f /s /q /a "Full path of file with extension"

*note Substitute Full path of file with extension in the command above with the actual full path of the file with its extension you want to delete. Be sure to use the correct drive letter from step 2.

For example: del /f /s /q /a "D:\Users\Brink2\Desktop\File.txt"

B) Close
    the command prompt.

4. Click/tap on the Continue button to restart the computer and continue to Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 6, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Tintai Win User

I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Delete File in Windows 10 ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Oct 27, 2019
  6. bestellen Win User
    Deleting contacts from Windows 10

When you say Windows Mail Live are you referring to Mail app or Windows Live Mail?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Live Mail.
    • Press Ctrl + 3 using your keyboard. Right-click on the contact to delete it if it is a single contact.
    • Highlight all contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
    • Click Delete located on the Ribbon bar.
    • Click OK when you see the message These contacts will also be deleted from Hotmail, Messenger, and other Windows Live services.

After following the steps above, all your contacts that you have manually added to your account will be deleted however, contacts coming from third-party sites such as Facebook will not be deleted unless you remove Facebook from your account.

For Mail app:

Open People app then delete the contact.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

bestellen, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Delete File in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Delete File

2. Move all my files from onedrive to my personal PC and delete them from OneDrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move all my files from onedrive to my personal PC and delete them from OneDrive.: I want to move everything from OneDrive to my LOCAL PC and delete ONeDrive. Please help with this. I want to copy and paste from my onedrive to my local "Home" desktop folder.I unlinked my onedrive after I stopped all the files from syncing in the system folder. Now all of my...
  3. Move all my files from onedrive to my personal PC and delete them from OneDrive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move all my files from onedrive to my personal PC and delete them from OneDrive.: I want to move everything from OneDrive to my LOCAL PC and delete ONeDrive. Please help with this. I want to copy and paste from my onedrive to my local "Home" desktop folder.I unlinked my onedrive after I stopped all the files from syncing in the system folder. Now all of my...
  4. How do i delete File that wont show up anywhere in windows and File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i delete File that wont show up anywhere in windows and File Explorer: I have an Alienware Aurora R10 with a 500GB SSD and one day I noticed, despite not having much on the drive, it was nearly full with only 13GB left so I went and looked at the system storage to see why, maybe I was downloading more than I thought, and at first that seemed to...
  5. How do i delete File that wont show up anywhere in windows and File Explorer

How do i delete File that wont show up anywhere in windows and File Explorer: I have an Alienware Aurora R10 with a 500GB SSD and one day I noticed, despite not having much on the drive, it was nearly full with only 13GB left so I went and looked at the system storage to see why, maybe I was downloading more than I thought, and at first that seemed to...
  6. Steps to delete temple files to improve performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steps to delete temple files to improve performance: Steps to delete temple files to improve performance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steps-to-delete-temple-files-to-improve/ed4d4592-2f87-4d98-8725-cc1c8feb0206
  7. Steps to delete temple files to improve performance

Steps to delete temple files to improve performance: Steps to delete temple files to improve performance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steps-to-delete-temple-files-to-improve/ed4d4592-2f87-4d98-8725-cc1c8feb0206
  8. Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.: When I drag an item to the recycle bin, I am asked I selected the option if I want it permanently deleted. I checked the properties of the bin and for the local disk, I selected 'Custom size' instead of 'Don't move files to Recycle bin. Remove file immediately when deleted'...
  9. Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.

Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.: When I drag an item to the recycle bin, I am asked I selected the option if I want it permanently deleted. I checked the properties of the bin and for the local disk, I selected 'Custom size' instead of 'Don't move files to Recycle bin. Remove file immediately when deleted'...
  10. How to restore files deleted by Ctrl+Z

How to restore files deleted by Ctrl+Z: I copied files from my phone to the PC. I created a folder on the desktop and started copying them gradually. Each time I copied a certain portion, I immediately deleted it from the mobile. At one point, I wanted to restore some deleted files from the phone using the Ctrl+Z...