Windows 10: The Lock option on the Find My Device tab of my Devices on my Microsoft Account

Discus and support The Lock option on the Find My Device tab of my Devices on my Microsoft Account in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My laptop has been stolen through a broken car window. I have headed to my Microsoft Account and to my Devices (https://account.microsoft.com/devices)... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OGezer, Sep 6, 2018.

1. OGezer Win User

The Lock option on the Find My Device tab of my Devices on my Microsoft Account

My laptop has been stolen through a broken car window. I have headed to my Microsoft Account and to my Devices (https://account.microsoft.com/devices) and then Find My Device tab for my stolen laptop. The last location is from May 2018, so I think I turned the location tracking services off at some point. There is, however, also a Lock button there. When clicked, it displays the following message:

Log out any active users and disable local users. Administrators with permissions will still have access, but unauthorized access will be blocked. Your device will be locked and location tracking services will be enabled.

Sounds just perfect. When clicked next, it asks for a 160-character message for returning instructions to be displayed on the device's screen, for a good-soul to hand it back, as a final step. It then tries to reach and lock the device, and then fails, but very softly. It says that it couldn't lock it right now, but also that they'll inform me via my e-mail once it's locked successfully, implying that Microsoft will lock it as soon as possible:

We can't lock your device right now.

We'll let you know when we successfully lock it.

My question is, when exactly will Microsoft be able to lock my device, and what are the limitations?

1. Will it be somehow magically locked-down as soon as the computer is turned on?
    2. Will it be locked down only if they connect it to the internet, possibly from the lock-screen?
    3. Will it be locked down only if they manage to log-in my account?
    4. Will it be both 3 and THEN 2?

Additionally:

• Will it be possible if they somehow format the laptop from a bootable USB recovery disk, because perhaps Microsoft has some kind of identifiers for the device that persist even after a format, like the motherboard serial, MAC address, etc.?

:)

OGezer, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Unknown devices on my Microsoft account

Hello Flemmingk, The Lock option on the Find My Device tab of my Devices on my Microsoft Account :)

Could these other devices be from friends that you may have signed in to your Microsoft account on for something?

Either way, you can remove these devices.

*Arrow Microsoft Account - Remove Devices User Accounts Tutorials

Afterwards to be safe, I would recommend to change the password of your Microsoft account, and enable two-step verification if you haven't already.

Change Password of Account in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Turn On or Off Microsoft Account Two-step Verification User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Sep 6, 2018
  3. flemmingk Win User
    Unknown devices on my Microsoft account

Thanks Brink
    I get different reactions every time I try to delete a device, but the result is that I cannot remove the devices.
    I'll go back to local accounts and delete the Microsoft account.
    I changed to Microsoft account because I wanted to use the Continue on PC feature. This feature doesn't work so I think that I'll just forget about it.
    Thanks for your interest.

flemmingk, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Too many devices in Microsoft Account

Hello JJ, The Lock option on the Find My Device tab of my Devices on my Microsoft Account :)

Yep, that would be the reason why the PC is listed more than once as a device for your Microsoft account.

Each different computer name will be listed as a separate device.

The tutorial below can help show you how to remove the devices you want.

Microsoft Account - Remove Devices Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. The Lock option on the Find My Device tab of my Devices on my Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Lock option Find

2. How to Unlock a Device Locked Using Find my Device in the Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Unlock a Device Locked Using Find my Device in the Microsoft Account: I have a Windows 11 laptop. I inadvertently locked the laptop when I logged into my Microsoft Account and it showed the device was located in a different part of the Country from where I am located. After locking the device, I realized it was my personal laptop in my...
  3. How to Unlock a Device Locked Using Find my Device in the Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Unlock a Device Locked Using Find my Device in the Microsoft Account: I have a Windows 11 laptop. I inadvertently locked the laptop when I logged into my Microsoft Account and it showed the device was located in a different part of the Country from where I am located. After locking the device, I realized it was my personal laptop in my...
  4. no lock option next to find my device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    no lock option next to find my device: I try to lock my stolen laptop and already login to my microsoft account but no lock option next to find my device, what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-lock-option-next-to-find-my-device/fb51e333-0138-41eb-ab82-edd0c4290db6
  5. no lock option next to find my device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no lock option next to find my device: I try to lock my stolen laptop and already login to my microsoft account but no lock option next to find my device, what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-lock-option-next-to-find-my-device/fb51e333-0138-41eb-ab82-edd0c4290db6
  6. no lock option next to find my device

7. no find my device option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no find my device option: Just purchased a new laptopalienware x17 r2 recently. After login my account and check it online, I can find it has successfully registered to my account. But there is no find my device option to my new laptop see the picture below. For other devices alienware x17 r1, I can...
  8. no find my device option

no find my device option: Just purchased a new laptopalienware x17 r2 recently. After login my account and check it online, I can find it has successfully registered to my account. But there is no find my device option to my new laptop see the picture below. For other devices alienware x17 r1, I can...
  9. Issues with Find my Device option

Issues with Find my Device option: Hi GuysMy laptop was stolen early in the morning of 22 April 2022. I've logged in as administrator and managed to locate the device last update on 22 April 2022. However, i cannot lock it anymore because i believe the device has not connected online. I've tried this option...
  10. Find my device lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Find my device lock: I recently used find my device to locate my laptop and locked it from my phone only to find out my girlfriend has it. How do i unlock it if she is out of town with the laptop?...