Windows 10: Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10 If its hard to read text on your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10

If its hard to read text on your screen because you need more color contrast, you can turn on high contrast mode.

High contrast mode makes text and apps easier to see by using more distinct colors.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you different ways to turn on or off using high contrast mode for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode from Sign-in Screen
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Settings
    • Option Four: Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode from Sign-in Screen
    1. While on the sign-in screen, select your account.

2. Click/tap on the Ease of access button in the lower-right corner, and turn on or off (default) High Contrast for what you want. (see screenshots below)

3. You can now sign in to Windows 10 if you like.

Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. While signed in to Windows 10, press the left Alt + left Shift + Print Screen keys to toggle high contrast on and off.

*tip How to Enable or Disable High Contrast Keyboard Shortcut in Windows

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you want.

3. To Turn On High Contrast Mode
    A) Click/tap on High contrast on the left side, and turn on Turn on high contrast on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Select a high contrast theme you want in the Choose a theme drop menu. (see screenshot below)

C) If you like, click/tap on a colored rectangle to select custom high contrast colors you want for Text, Hyperlinks, Disabled Text, Selected Text, Button Text, and Background, and click/tap on Done. (see screenshot below)

D) When finished, click/tap on Apply.

E) If you customized the colors of a high contrast theme, type a name you want for the new theme, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

*note This will have the name of this custom theme available in the Choose a theme drop menu.

F) Go to step 5.

4. To Turn Off High Contrast Mode
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on High contrast on the left side, turn off Turn on high contrast on the right side, and go to step 5. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Control Panel
    1. Open the Run dialog (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Personalization in the Control Panel.
    *Arrow explorer shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}
    2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you want.

3. To Turn On High Contrast Mode
    A) Click/tap on a high contrast theme you want under High Contrast Themes, and go to step 5. (see screenshot below)

4. To Turn Off High Contrast Mode
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on a step 5. (see screenshot below)
    5. When finished, you can close the Personalization control panel if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 15, 2018

2. how to turn off high contrast

Hi,

Follow these steps on how to turn high contrast mode on or off in Windows:

• Type "high contrast settings" in the search box, and then select High contrast settings from the list of results.
    • Under Choose a theme, select a high contrast theme from the drop-down menu, and then select Apply.
    • To turn off high contrast mode, select None from the drop-down menu, and then select Apply.
    • To turn high contrast mode on or off from the sign-in screen, select the Ease of Access button in the lower-right corner and choose High Contrast.
    • To turn high contrast on or off from the keyboard, press left Alt + left Shift + Print
      Screen.

Keep us updated with the result.

Marvin Barc, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Darshan J Win User
    High Contrast Will Not Turn Off

Hi Emily,

To help you better please provide us with the below information.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Which build is currently running on your computer?

What troubleshooting steps have tried to resolve the issue?

I would suggest you refer to the below article and Post, check if it help in addressing your issue.

Turn on high contrast mode

How do you turn off High Contrast on Windows 10?

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need further assistance and we'll be glad to help.

Darshan J, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10

Turning Off High-Contrast Mode in Windows 10.

I have an older computer with 32-bit Windows 10, that originally used Vista. None of the suggestions available allow me to turn off the High-Contrast Modes. The "Apply" button does not work, when "None" is entered in the selection box. Changing to low-contrast
    themes does not work and pressing left Shift + Alt + Print Screen, produces no results. Does anyone have any other tricks to offer? Might getting a new keyboard made for Windows 10 help? I went two years without having any other problems with Win 10, but made
    the mistake of trying a high-contrast mode, from which there seems to be no return for me.

Capt. Aero, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Carlo Fer Win User
    High Contrast Mode

Hi Jordan,

If you cannot see anything from your screen, you can try to use the keyboard shortcut to turn off high contrast mode. To do this, press the
    left Alt + left Shift +
    Print Screen.

For more information about High contrast mode, please refer to this support article:
    Turn high contrast mode on or off in Windows.

Please update us with results for further assistance.

Carlo Fer, Oct 27, 2019
  6. High Contrast Mode in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to apply the changes from the settings option in Windows 10 and check if it helps.

1) Type High contrast settings in the search box and then click on High Contrast settings.

2) In the right pane select the level of contrast choose a theme and check.

I also recommend you to update the graphic drivers of the computer and check if it helps.

• Open Device Manager.

• Expand ‘Display Adapter’.

• Locate the display driver.

• Right-click on the display card listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’
    Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off High Contrast Mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off High

2. Cant turn off high contrast mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant turn off high contrast mode: I go to college and i accidentally turned on high contrast mode, i cant change it back and im scared and im not really sure to do, i cant edit the theme and i would like to solve it quickly as i need to do stuff on it so please helpc...
  3. Cant turn off high contrast mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant turn off high contrast mode: I go to college and i accidentally turned on high contrast mode, i cant change it back and im scared and im not really sure to do, i cant edit the theme and i would like to solve it quickly as i need to do stuff on it so please helpc...
  4. How do I turn off high contrast mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off high contrast mode: I may or may not have broken a computer; using high contrast mode I jokingly turned everything to the same red colour. didn't mean to apply it, and now I can't get it off, I've tried the shortcut, and restarting. is there any way to change this, especially because it was on a...
  5. How do I turn off high contrast mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn off high contrast mode: I may or may not have broken a computer; using high contrast mode I jokingly turned everything to the same red colour. didn't mean to apply it, and now I can't get it off, I've tried the shortcut, and restarting. is there any way to change this, especially because it was on a...
  6. High contrast colors appearing when high contrast mode is off

in Windows 10 Customization
    High contrast colors appearing when high contrast mode is off: High contrast colors keep appearing in file explorer and many other windows apps, but things like taskbar and edge don't have these colors. High contrast mode is off. Sometimes when I reboot it disappears, but not always. It's really annoying and it seems to only happen on my...
  7. High Contrast Mode will not turn off.

High Contrast Mode will not turn off.: Since the last w10 update I have noticed the date & time, weather temperature greyed out. Rather annoying as when you hover mouse over either, they still don't become very visible.I was trying to make these visible again and set High Contrast Mode by accident.Now it will not...
  8. High contrast mode shows an error when turning off

High contrast mode shows an error when turning off: so yesterday I was playing a bit with high contrast mode, I had played with it before but it had never gotten stuck, I was just testing out some colors and when I try to turn it back on, it says:This theme can't be applied to the desktop. Try clicking a different theme....
  9. Can't turn off high contrast

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't turn off high contrast: I accidentally turned on high contrast in the start screen the other day, and now even after I've turned it off and on constantly, my ribbon in file explorer, computer notifications that pop up, and my Google Chrome homepage are all black and high contrast. Please help....
  10. Turning off High Contrast

Turning off High Contrast: My grandson turned on high contrast a few days ago. I was able to get it turned off but yesterday it came back on and I can't turn it off. It's rather annoying and makes some screens difficult to read. I have tried changing the theme in ease of access settings, then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant turn off high contrast