Windows 10: Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 Hyper-V... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by gijoe50000, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical computer systems, however they exist in a virtualized and isolated environment.

You can give a virtual machine access to a computer's local resources, like a removable USB flash drive, when you use Virtual Connection Manager (VMConnect). To make this happen, turn on Enhanced Session Mode on the Hyper-V host, use VMConnect to connect to the virtual machine, and before you connect, choose the local resource that you want to use.

Enhanced session mode provides the following new capabilities for Virtual Machine Connection sessions:
    • Display Configuration (dynamically re-size window)
    • Audio redirection
    • Printer redirection
    • Full clipboard support (improved over limited prior-generation clipboard support)
    • Smart Card support
    • USB Device redirection
    • Drive redirection
    • Redirection for supported Plug and Play devices
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Hyper-V enhanced session mode for your account and/or all accounts in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in to an administrator account to be able to turn on or off enhanced session mode.

Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note To be able to use a computer's local resources on a virtual machine:
    • The Hyper-V host (ex: your PC) must have Enhanced session mode policy and Enhanced session mode settings turned on.
    • The Hyper-V virtual machine (guest) must have Remote Desktop Services enabled and run Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 as the guest operating system.
    • Enhanced session mode isn't available for generation 1 (unless Windows 10 Pro, Education, or Enterprise) virtual machines or for virtual machines that run non-Windows operating systems.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Enhanced Session Mode Policy for All Users in Hyper-V Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Enhanced Session Mode Policy for All Users in PowerShell
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Enhanced Session Mode for Your Account in Hyper-V Settings

EXAMPLE: Virtual Connection Manager (VMConnect) for Enhanced Session

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Enhanced Session Mode Policy for All Users in Hyper-V Settings
    1. Open Hyper-V Manager.

2. Select the Hyper-V host (ex: "BRINK-DESKTOP") in the left pane you want to turn on or off enhanced session mode for, and click/tap on Hyper-V Settings in the right Actions pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Enhanced Session Mode Policy under Server in the left pane, check (on - default) or uncheck (off) Allow enhanced session mode on the right, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. If turned on, users will now be able to use Option Three below to turn on or off enhanced session mode for their account.

5. When finished, you can close Hyper-V Manager if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Enhanced Session Mode Policy for All Users in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Do step 3 (status), step 4 (turn on), or step 5 (turn off) below for what you would like to do.

3. To See Current Status of Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode for All Users
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Get-VMHost | fl -Property EnableEnhancedSessionMode

Note True = Turned on (default)

False = Turned off

4. To Turn On Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Set-VMhost -EnableEnhancedSessionMode $True

B) Users will now be able to use Option Three below to turn on or off enhanced session mode for their account.

C) Go to step 6 below.

5. To Turn Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode for All Users
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Set-VMhost -EnableEnhancedSessionMode $False

6. When finished, you can close PowerShell if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Enhanced Session Mode for Your Account in Hyper-V Settings
    1. Open Hyper-V Manager.

2. Select the Hyper-V host (ex: "BRINK-DESKTOP") in the left pane you want to turn on or off enhanced session mode for, and click/tap on Hyper-V Settings in the right Actions pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (turn on) or step 5 (turn off) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Turn On Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode for Your Account
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) If you haven't already, you will first need to turn on Hyper-V enhanced session mode policy for all users using either Option One or Option Two above.

B) Click/tap on Enhanced Session Mode under User in the left pane, check Allow enhanced session mode on the right, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below step 5)

5. To Turn Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode for Only Your Account
    A) Click/tap on Enhanced Session Mode under User in the left pane, uncheck Allow enhanced session mode on the right, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close Hyper-V Manager if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

gijoe50000, Oct 19, 2016

2. Hyper-V functionality

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit flavor on my PC. I have recently tried to give the Hyper-V a go and I have installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit as a guest. By default, Enhanced Session Mode was available in Hyper-V Settings both to the Server and the User;
    I checked them. I started the guest and the enhanced mode was on. However, when I added RemoteFX to my guest OS, the enhanced session mode was no more. Is it by design that when you add RemoteFX to your guest Os, the enhanced session mode is turned off? If
    RemoteFX enhances your experience with a virtual machine (and it does), then why ENHACED session mode gets turned off?

Andrzej Flaga

AndrzejFlaga, Oct 19, 2016
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Integration Services in Windows 7 with Hyper-V on Windows 10

Have you checked if the Enhanced Sessions Mode is enabled? If not, kindly check if it is enabled and see if there's
    any changes. Go to Hyper-V Settings > Enhance Mode Policy > check Allow enhance session mode.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you post this query in our
    Social.TechNet
    forum for further assistance.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 19, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

Hello gijoe, *Smile

I'm afraid that you will need to be using generation 2 virtual machines that run a Windows operating system to access a computer's local resources with enhanced session mode.

Enhanced session mode isn't available for generation 1 virtual machines or for virtual machines that run non-Windows operating systems.

Brink, Oct 19, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    This is not entirely true. I have 10 Pro installed as a generation 1 vm and it uses enhanced mode. 10 Home cannot. I believe the difference is because Pro can act as an rdp server.

cereberus, Oct 19, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ah, you're right on that. *Party

Brink, Oct 19, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Perhaps you should amend the tutorial?

Edit: I see you have already done that - silly me for thinking otherwise*Biggrin!

Edit 2: I think it also applies to Education, Enterprise and equivalent Windows 8 versions (and I am guessing here), various Windows server versions?

cereberus, Oct 20, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

I added a second edit - crossed in the post.

cereberus, Oct 20, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Verified for Windows 10 Pro, Education, and Enterprise VMs. *Smile

Brink, Oct 20, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    That was fast - that covers the main bases. It would probably have been easier to say it works for Windows 10 except Home version *Biggrin!

cereberus, Oct 20, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    How do you get this emoji - I have looked for it everywhere?

Edit - found it by inspecting it.

https://www.tenforums.com/images/smilies/roflmao2.gif

*Roflmao2 - success!

Doh - I just found you scroll down on emoji section. You can miss the obvious sometimes*Drink1

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Hyper

2. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V: Before posting, i read from learn.microsoft about Hyper-V, i have also read most of "Introduction to Hyper-V on Windows 10" pdf as well.However i am missing something..The thing goes like this:I have a Win10 Pro desktop. and want to use Hyper-V to install linux OS.From the...
  3. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V: Before posting, i read from learn.microsoft about Hyper-V, i have also read most of "Introduction to Hyper-V on Windows 10" pdf as well.However i am missing something..The thing goes like this:I have a Win10 Pro desktop. and want to use Hyper-V to install linux OS.From the...
  4. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive: Hello,is it possible to configure access control on the shared-drive which is "mounted" on Hyper-V machine on Windows 10 when enhanced session mode is used? This shared drive is mounted with administrative privileges by default and that means that users of Hyper-V machine...
  6. Hyper-V's enhance session does not work.

Hyper-V's enhance session does not work.: Hello, I use Hyper-V on Windows 10 education version 1909. All enhance session parts in Hyper-V setting are enabled. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] but the icon of enhance session in connection's window does not appear. I want to use the sound device in my VM with this,...
  7. Display configuration on enhanced session Hyper V

Display configuration on enhanced session Hyper V: I have enabled the Enhanced session on the Hyper-V manager and the Guest services in the integration services. The below screen shows up once i reboot the server but i forgot to press show option to enable PNP. Is there a way to open the below screen again please....
  8. Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode: Hi, I've recently enabled hyper-v on my Windows 10 pro system that's updated (June 2019). I've seen that enhanced session mode is available for both the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and the Ubuntu 19.04 templates from the "quick create" menu. This has the ability to access local...
  9. Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode 'Intercept' Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode 'Intercept' Stopped Working: WIN 10 build 1809. Very strange problem. Hyper-V was working fine with enhanced sessions and then went south. Checked Hyper-v settings and both Server -- > Enhanced Session Mode Policy and User --> Enhanced Session Mode are checked. With new virtual machines there is no...
  10. Hyper-V in Windows 10 1709 FCU, enhanced session not working?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V in Windows 10 1709 FCU, enhanced session not working?: I have a fresh install of Windows 10 1709 Education N, and using the same image I made a Gen2 VM in Hyper-V. I thought something was off and then I noticed that enhanced mode wasn't on at all, and it is greyed out in the menu. It is enabled in Hyper-V settings. I only found...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 hyper-v enhanced seession greyed out

2. turn on hyper-v end session mode

3. hyper-v enhanced session disabled windows 10

4. windows 10 enhanced session mode