Windows 10: Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

Discus and support Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows How to Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

How to: Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

How to Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows [​IMG]
    Information Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical computer systems, however they exist in a virtualized and isolated environment.

You can give a virtual machine access to a computer's local resources, like a removable USB flash drive, when you use Virtual Connection Manager (VMConnect). To make this happen, turn on enhanced session mode on the Hyper-V host, use VMConnect to connect to the virtual machine, and before you connect, choose the local resource that you want to use.

Enhanced session mode provides the following new capabilities for Virtual Machine Connection sessions:
    • Display Configuration
    • Audio redirection
    • Printer redirection
    • Full clipboard support (improved over limited prior-generation clipboard support)
    • Smart Card support
    • USB Device redirection
    • Drive redirection
    • Redirection for supported Plug and Play devices
    You might want use a computer's local resources to:
    • Troubleshoot a virtual machine without a network connection to the virtual machine.
    • Copy and paste files to and from the virtual machine in the same way you copy and paste using a Remote Desktop Connection (RDP).
    • Sign in to the virtual machine by using a smart card.
    • Print from a virtual machine to a local printer.
    • Test and troubleshoot developer applications that require USB and sound redirection without using RDP.

This tutorial will show you how to use local drives, devices, and resources on a Hyper-V virtual machine with enhanced session mode in Windows 10.

Note To be able to use a computer's local resources on a virtual machine:

EXAMPLE: Local devices and resources on Hyper-V VM from host PC

Here's How:

1. Open Hyper-V Manager.

2. Select the Hyper-V host (ex: "BRINK-DESKTOP") in the left pane, double click/tap on the virtual machine (ex: "Non Insider W10") that you want to connect and use enhanced session mode to use local devices and resources on. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Start button to start the virtual machine (ex: "Non Insider W10"). (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Show Options in the VMConnect dialog when it automatically opens. (see screenshot below)

Note If you don't see the VMConnect dialog and the virtual machine is currently running without enhanced session, then click/tap on View on the menu bar of the virtual machine, and click/tap on the unchecked Enhanced session to open the VMConnect dialog.

If you don't see the VMConnect dialog and the virtual machine is currently running with enhanced session (checked), then open an elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter to open a new connection for the virtual machine with the VMConnect dialog. Close the command prompt and the other virtual machine connection without the VMConnect dialog.
    *Arrow vmconnect localhost "VM name" /edit

NOTE: Substitute VM name in the command above with the actual name (ex: "Non Insider W10") of the virtual machine.

For example: vmconnect localhost "Non Insider W10" /edit

5. Check or uncheck the Save my settings for future connections to this virtual machine box for what you want. (see screenshot below)

Note If you check this box, this virtual machine will always automatically start in enhanced session mode using the VMConnect settings you set in the steps below.

If you want to uncheck this box later, you can use the second part with the command in the note box under step 4 above to edit the VMConnect settings of this virtual machine.

6. Click/tap on the Local Resources tab, and check or uncheck if you want to use the local PC's Printers and/or Clipboard in the virtual machine. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the More button. (see screenshot below)

8. Check or uncheck the boxes of the local PC's devices and resources for what you want to use in the virtual machine, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on Connect to start the virtual machine in enhanced session mode using the local PC's devices and resources that you checked. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 18, 2015
  2. SarahKong Win User

Hyper-V Virtual Machine not recognised

The folder where your VM is do you see a .vhd file?

Here is a great article step by step on how to import VM into hyper-v.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/conte...

SarahKong, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Access USB port in virtual machine - Hyper -v

Hi Gigy

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

You need to first shutdown the VM before you can enable the Enhanced Mode Session.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...

Andre for Directly, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

Mark St..., Oct 26, 2019
  5. Andre Da Costa, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Rex99ny Win User
    Where is the Hyper V Manager, How to I start it ?

I am trying to setup an XP virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro.

I followed the steps in Neil Peterson article of 5/9/2016.

System Requirements - done - ok

Install Hyper-V - done - ok

Create a Virtual Switch - skip

Create a Virtual Machine

Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager

These steps walk through how to manually create a virtual machine and deploy an operating system to this virtual machine.

• In Hyper-V Manager, click Action > New >
      Virtual Machine
      to bring up the New

Uhhhhhhhhh - this step obviously implies one knows

1) Where the Hyper-V Manager is

2) How to start the Hyper-V Manager

Isn't that odd ?

Rex99ny, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

1. Use Local Devices and Resources on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows - Similar Threads - Local Devices Resources

2. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  3. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  4. Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine: Suddenly, Hyper V would not connect to any Virtual Machine using the Virtual Machine Connection. I trying creating new VMs and nothing worked. I am using Windows 10 Education....
  5. Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines: How to: Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines Running Windows on a virtual machine can naturally never be as fast as same version of Windows on same computer running on physical hardware. However, by tweaking virtual machine settings, you can greatly impact the speed and...
  6. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...
  7. Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?: Greetings. I set up Hyper-V in my Win 10 Anniversary install and created a Win 10 Virtual Machine which is fully activated. I tried setting up a picture password for this VM. The Picture Password option was not available but I got it to show using gpedit. I then set a...
  8. Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Import Hyper-V Virtual Machines Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
  9. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
  10. Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows: How to: Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows How to Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 10 [img] Note There's nothing wrong in running the Hyper-V Manager and launch your virtual machines from there. However, creating a...