Windows 10: Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10 [img] Information The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Public folders are a convenient way to share files on your computer. You can share files in the Public folders with other people using the same computer and with people using other computers on your network. Any file or folder you put in a Public folder is automatically shared with the people who have access to your Public folders.

The Public folders contain subfolders to help you get organized, but they don't contain any files until you or other people using your computer add files to them. The folders are organized by content type, and include:
    • C:\Users\Public\Public Documents
    • C:\Users\Public\Public Downloads
    • C:\Users\Public\Public Music
    • C:\Users\Public\Public Pictures
    • C:\Users\Public\Public Videos
    Public folder sharing is turned off by default (except on a homegroup). When Public folder sharing is turned on, anyone on your computer or network can access these folders to open and view the files stored there just as if they were stored on their own computers. If you give them permission to change files, any changes they make will change the files on your computer.

When Public folder sharing is turned off, only people with a user account and password on your computer can access them.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Public folder sharing on your Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off Public folder sharing.

EXAMPLE: Public folder sharing on Network

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Network and Sharing Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Change advanced sharing settings link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Expand open
    the All Networks profile. (see screenshot below)

4. Under Public folder sharing, select (dot) Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders or Turn off Public folder sharing (default) for what you want to do, and click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Network and Sharing Center if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 15, 2018

2. sharing Public folder

I have upgraded an old Vista machine to W10. The old machine can read the shared Public folder on my base computer (W10). The new W10 computer can't find the Public folder. I've made all the suggested settings for sharing, but the Public folder from the
    base computer can't be found on the new machine. How do I do this?

DavidWilson505, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Public documents sharing

My question is how do other computers see it as homegroup window does not list public folders?

I know how to put files into public it is the next step that I am not understanding in setting up the network/computers etc to see the public folders.

I have spent a day trying to understand/working out how to do this it is not obvious as the homegroup page only shows library folders that I do not want to share.

So how do I get the homegroup to show public folders?

peterprewett, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10

Disable public folders

Hi,

A Public folder can be beneficial if regular users have restricted access to specific folders. As you've mentioned, you wanted to at least have the Public folder disabled or turned-off since you were the only user on your computer. To do this,
    please follow the steps below:

• Type Network and Sharing Center in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Select on Change advanced sharing settings option located on the left-side of the window.

Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10 9f1aeb31-764a-4177-bca1-9519b37541ef.jpg

• Click on All Networks.

Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10 3e649bbd-1d51-4e32-a9b2-63a2572ee70d.jpg

• Under Public folder sharing, select Turn off Public folder sharing, then click on
      Save changes.

For any results, just send us a reply.

Eileen Gal, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10 :)

Frogger, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Sharing a folder still asking to enter password even after disabling turn off password protecting sharing in Windows 10

Old title: Sharing is not working

Dear Microsoft

I have a basic question about the networking. I have two computer and i want to share the folder named "games" using the lan. I connect both computer (computer_1 and computer_2) in computer 1 i
    shared this folder for everyone to read and write. But the problem is that in the computer_1
    turn off the password protecting but it still requiring the password to access the folder "games". And also there is Microsoft password is not working.

Means turn off password protecting sharing is not work.

I want to access this folder in computer_2 without requiring any password for computer_1.

I used the following process also but it still requiring to enter in the computer_1.

• private (current profile)
    • Turn on network discovery
    • Turn on file and printing sharing
    • Guest of Public
    • Turn on network discovery
    • Turn on file and printing sharing
    • All Network
    • Turn on sharing so anyone with the network access can read and write file in the public folder
    • Turn off password protecting

Hemantgehlot, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Public Folder Sharing in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Public

2. Sharing Public Folders on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Public Folders on windows 10: I have asked this before and have not received any replies. I'll try again. I have spent over 6 hours on this issue and have read and tried all the standard file/folder sharing solutions. I have a basic WIRED home network. 3 dell computers, 2 running windows 10 pro and 1...
  3. How to turn ON or OFF Public Folder sharing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn ON or OFF Public Folder sharing on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Everybody with a Windows 10 computer would have noticed sometimes that the Windows operating […] This article How to turn ON or OFF Public Folder sharing on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. How to share a public read only folder

How to share a public read only folder: I have Hotmail and Office 365 Personal, and use OneDrive. . I would like to create a public read-only folder. . Also, I would like to create a public read-write folder. . The rest should be only accessible by me. . Is there a special, public PUBLIC OneDrive share URL...
  5. Public Sharing

Public Sharing: I have three machines on a wired home network, all running Windows 10 1909. All three are part of the same Workgroup, all three have Public Sharing turned on, yet Istill can't get this to work properly. Machine's One and Two won't show any other connected machines. Machine...
  6. Windows update keeps disabling Turn on 'Public Folder Sharing'

Windows update keeps disabling Turn on 'Public Folder Sharing': Small office, 6 PC's, Windows Server would be overkill Instead we user a 'server' running Windows 10 Pro. It runs several accounting and quoting apps that share their folders on the LAN Every few months, Windows 10 Pro updates itself, which happens at the end of the working...
  7. sharing Public folder

sharing Public folder: I have upgraded an old Vista machine to W10. The old machine can read the shared Public folder on my base computer (W10). The new W10 computer can't find the Public folder. I've made all the suggested settings for sharing, but the Public folder from the base computer can't be...
  8. Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing: We are looking for a way to turn off password protected sharing either programmatically or through some type of scripting (cmd, powershell, etc.) for Windows 10 1607. It is the option in Advanced Sharing Settings (All Networks) in Network and Sharing Center. We can...
  9. Turn On or Off Near Share in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Near Share in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Nearby Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Nearby Sharing in Windows 10 Microsoft introduced a new Near Share feature starting with Windows 10 build 17035. Near Share was renamed to Nearby sharing in Windows 10 April 2018 Update version...
  10. Turn On or Off Apps to Share from in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Apps to Share from in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Apps to Share from in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Specific Apps to Share from in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 15007 released on January 12th 2017. [img] Information In...