Windows 10: Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10 The cursor is that blinking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by AddressedSage, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10

The cursor is that blinking line at the end of what you are typing in Windows.

Have you ever had an issue finding the text cursor in the middle of a large amount of text, during a presentation, or on the screen in an educational setting?

Starting with color easy for you to see. Or, personalize the color of your text cursor indicator to your personal preference.

Known issues
    • Text cursor indicator color and size might not persist when you sign in. To work around that, simply turn off and turn on the Use text cursor indicator setting again.
    • Occasionally, you might see that the text cursor indicator stay on the screen or reappear after the app has been closed or the page contents have scrolled away.
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the text cursor indicator for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Text cursor indicator

Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Click/tap on Text cursor on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Turn on text cursor indicator for what you want under the Use text cursor indicator section on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Accessibility

Configuration string value

(blank) = Off
    cursorindicator = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Text Cursor Indicator
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_text_cursor_indicator.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Text Cursor Indicator
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_text_cursor_indicator.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to fully apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

AddressedSage, Jul 10, 2018
  2. shuggans Win User

vb.net select text from active cursor point in different window

hello all - working on a dictation application and looking for some guidance as far as selecting text from a cursor point in a window outside of the applications form. I'll clarify a bit: The application types at the current cursor point using sendkeys() as you speak.. and I'm trying to handle commands such as "select word" which should select the word to the right of the current cursor point. I know how to handle selecting text within an application, but am looking to be pointed in the right direction for information on selecting text from say microsoft word etc. but keep in mind the goal for the application is to be universal for use within any EMR, word processor, web browser etc.

Thanks for any assistance!

shuggans

shuggans, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Vertical lines behind text cursor. HELP!

Hi,

It is possible that the vertical lines behind text cursor that you see, is can be due to corruptions. To better isolate your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• Is there a way for you to provide us a screenshot?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the Meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article by clicking on this

link
    . It will let you scan for corruptions and restore corrupted files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 27, 2019
  4. ChuckThom Win User

Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10

Making a suggestion for Windows, and cursor indicator

I'm making a suggestion (and I've made this same one a few times already - still trying):

When hovering over a link have the cursor hand indicate if clicking that link will:

1) open in the current window,

2) open in a new tab page of the current window, or

3) open a whole new window.

I know I can force #2 or #3 by holding down the [Ctrl] or [Shift] at the time of clicking the link,

but I want the cursor "hand" indicate what will happen without needing to press anything.

I would suggest the hand gain a "+" sign if opening in a new window (#3), or

that the hand gain a "cuff" a dark portion on the wrist (or maybe just a "-" sign) if the click will just open a new tab,

and if the clicking of the link open up in the existing window and tab, then don't change the hand at all.

For continuity I would also suggest that the cursor change at the time of holding down the [Ctrl] or {Shift] key.

That way the user can re-enforce their understanding of what the cursor is indicating.

ChuckThom, Oct 27, 2019
  5. hellrazor Win User
    Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Dr.Bob007 Win User
    predictive text - windows 10 mobile

Why would a User who has encountered the problem of 'Predictive Text' suddenly now missing from their Windows 10 mobile device "Select the Option to turn off the “suggest text”"?

This strikes me as illogical to resolving the identified problem. I might understand if you instructed the User to restart their device then turn it On to see if toggling the setting might re-enable this service. However, that not being stated suggests an
    oversight/error.

In my situation, my Lumia 950 XL no longer simply identifies 'correct' words as before. This became noticeable prior to the recent 9 step + 8 step series of Windows 10 Mobile updates.

I found this predictive text service quite helpful with respect to my 'large' fore-finger tip often unintentionally touching adjacent characters resulting in typing errors ranging from quite simple to utterly deranged 'words' which often are corrected by
    simply touching one of the array of suggested alternate options available.

Dr.Bob007, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Text Cursor Indicator in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Text

2. the text cursor indicator -

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the text cursor indicator -: Somehow by accident I turned on the Text cursor indicator. I've followed the instructions and tried to turn it off.. but it's still on. PLEASE HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-text-cursor-indicator/5fe3b0a5-5951-4a28-bf4d-726a8c9b5689
  3. the text cursor indicator -

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the text cursor indicator -: Somehow by accident I turned on the Text cursor indicator. I've followed the instructions and tried to turn it off.. but it's still on. PLEASE HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-text-cursor-indicator/5fe3b0a5-5951-4a28-bf4d-726a8c9b5689
  4. Windows 11. text indicator won't turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11. text indicator won't turn off: I just got a new Windows 11 desktop and was trying things. I turned on the text indicator and now it won't turn off. Yes I went to Accessibility - cursor - and switch it to off.. I restarted.-- then it was still there???So far not a Windows 11 fan for a number of reasons....
  5. Windows 11. text indicator won't turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11. text indicator won't turn off: I just got a new Windows 11 desktop and was trying things. I turned on the text indicator and now it won't turn off. Yes I went to Accessibility - cursor - and switch it to off.. I restarted.-- then it was still there???So far not a Windows 11 fan for a number of reasons....
  6. Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off caps lock indicator Windows 10: I have Googled several different ways to turn off this Caps Lock indicator and have gotten stumped at each solution.Under Advanced Display Settings, there is no Screen Configurations tab:There is no Mobility Center when I type that into Windows search.Dell Peripheral Manager...
  7. Change the Text Cursor Indicator size, color, and thickness in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Change the Text Cursor Indicator size, color, and thickness in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When you shift from tablet experience to a large-screen Desktop experience, you expect a bit of change in text size or text cursor too. Windows […] This article Change the Text Cursor Indicator size, color, and thickness in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  8. Microsoft adds a text cursor indicator to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft adds a text cursor indicator to Windows 10: Where is that cursor? Have you ever asked yourself that question or similar questions? All recent versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system support an option to highlight the cursor when you press the Ctrl-key on the keyboard, but that option needs to be activated...
  9. Change Text Cursor Indicator Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Text Cursor Indicator Color in Windows 10: How to: Change Text Cursor Indicator Color in Windows 10 How to Change Text Cursor Indicator Color in Windows 10 The cursor is that blinking line at the end of what you are typing in Windows. Have you ever had an issue finding the text cursor in the middle of a large...
  10. Change Text Cursor Indicator Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Text Cursor Indicator Size in Windows 10: How to: Change Text Cursor Indicator Size in Windows 10 How to Change Text Cursor Indicator Size in Windows 10 The cursor is that blinking line at the end of what you are typing in Windows. Have you ever had an issue finding the text cursor in the middle of a large...