Windows 10: Tutorial - How to change where Windows 10 Installs Metro Apps

Discus and support Tutorial - How to change where Windows 10 Installs Metro Apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello all, I've been a long time lurker and have gotten much advice from this site, so I decided to make an account and give back. I went through the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BiggityBates, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Tutorial - How to change where Windows 10 Installs Metro Apps

Hello all, I've been a long time lurker and have gotten much advice from this site, so I decided to make an account and give back. I went through the tutorials section (applications section specifically) and noticed that there wasn't instructions posted on how to change the default "Windows Metro Application Store". I was looking around Powershell and figured this out, and it is really quite easy and very valuable if you are one to try to keep stuff off of the C: drive. But anyway, I couldn't figure out how to submit a new tutorial, so I will post the instructions here. If someone wants to move this post, or improve on it, or whatever, thats fine. I just wanted to share some knowledge that I am not 100% has been posted before. Anyway, on to business...

1. Open Powershell_ISE (or just Powershell) as Administrator

2. Run "Import-Module -Name appx" to import the PS application module that will do the work.

3. If you run "Get-AppxVolume", you can see the current, default location for the metro application store. It should be "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"

4. You are first going to create a new store, at your desired location on your desired drive. This is easy because performing the command in Powershell creates the directory and sets all the appropriate permissions for you.

You are going to want to run "Add-AppxVolume -Path "X:\YOUR\PATH"" where X: is your desired location for the new metro application store. After running this, you should see your new folder appear in the location specified. It isn't hidden like the default, but it functions exactly the same. You can hide it yourself if you so desire.

5. You are now going to want to create a variable to store your new application volume to set it to default. I'm not great in Powershell, so there is probably a better way, but this will work:

$NewAppStore = (Get-AppxVolume -Path "X:\YOUR\PATH")

6. Once that's stored in your variable, which you can call whatever you want obviously, you want to run this:

Set-AppxDefaultVolume -Volume $NewAppStore

That's it! Now all future application you install from the store should be in this new location, saving space on your default drive!
    You can obviously move already installed applications with other cmdlets in the AppX module, but I won't go into detail exactly how to do that right now.

I just wanted to share this information as my first post because I love this community and I gain so much knowledge from it all the time, and please forgive me if this has already been posted. I did a search and I didn't find it.

Take care!

:)

BiggityBates, Apr 18, 2015
  2. dvlee Win User

Windows 10 LTSB Start menu

Hi!

I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. And I know that there is no metro apps.

But Start menu always will be so big?? May I make it smaller, without area where metro icons was?

It would be great to minimize start menu...

Thanks

dvlee, Apr 18, 2015
  3. SarahKong Win User
    SarahKong, Apr 18, 2015
  4. nandu Win User

Tutorial - How to change where Windows 10 Installs Metro Apps

I get this error:
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Add-AppxVolume -Path "J:\METROAPPS"
    Add-AppxVolume : A Prerequisite for an install could not be satisfied. (Exception from HRESULT:
    0x80073CFD)
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-AppxVolume -Path "J:\METROAPPS"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (\\?\Volume{75cf...0-100000000000}:AppxVolume) [Add-AppxVol
    ume], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxVol
    umeCommand

So it looks like I need to define that volume info but I don't even know what that would be called to google it.

nandu, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

Tutorial - How to change where Windows 10 Installs Metro Apps

1. Tutorial - How to change where Windows 10 Installs Metro Apps - Similar Threads - Tutorial change where

2. How to change where microsoft store installs games/apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change where microsoft store installs games/apps?: I am trying to download forza horizon 5 123gb and it said that I needed to free up drive space but I wanted to install it to a different drive. I found a different page which told me how to change default save locations and it did not work. I keep getting the same "free up...
  3. How to change where microsoft store installs games/apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change where microsoft store installs games/apps?: I am trying to download forza horizon 5 123gb and it said that I needed to free up drive space but I wanted to install it to a different drive. I found a different page which told me how to change default save locations and it did not work. I keep getting the same "free up...
  4. Metro Apps not installed

Metro Apps not installed: Hi there, I used to have a problem where metro apps wouldn't open, so I did an in-place upgrade of Windows 10. After the upgrade finished, the metro apps just didn't exist, I couldn't find them via search or settings, and whenever I use the PowerShell commands it just says...
  5. How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10 tutorial

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10 tutorial: Hi @Shawn. I am trying to disable permanently the "Group by" of "My PC" in Explorer. I don't know if it's possible. In any case, the detail view columns are limited and the tutorials don't have information about exceptions, if there are any. 157737
  6. Windows 10 - Microsoft Messenger (Metro App)

Windows 10 - Microsoft Messenger (Metro App): Question, My last update was yesterday. Therefore why are the file stamps for this app, for today? To provide some context, at just after 5pm, mytime, the was brief but noticeable "refresh" across the screen. It is the sort of refresh, one see when they install apps....
  7. Windows 10 metro apps wont open

Windows 10 metro apps wont open: [img] 21342
  8. Remove Windows 10 Metro Apps

Remove Windows 10 Metro Apps: Hi, Even using :: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage :: will leave some apps there, I need to decide if I should remove them manually or not, but I don't know what they do and are they vital? So please help me by letting me know what's each one? Cheers....
  9. How to Stop Windows 10 Metro Apps from Automatically Installing?

How to Stop Windows 10 Metro Apps from Automatically Installing?: In researching another problem, I discovered that on one computer (haven't checked others) we have several apps installed. Farmville 2 Candy Crush Soda Asphalt 8 Netflix Pandora etc All were installed on Aug 13. I use IOBit Uninstaller and do not have them...
  10. Tutorial: How to change Windows 10 "default" resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Tutorial: How to change Windows 10 "default" resolution: I have stumble upon a strange problem when my Monitor is off, Windows back to default 1024x768 resolution, when i turn on the monitor, resolution is OK, but windows positions and sizes are messed up from the previous resolution. This is happening because some monitors...