Windows 10: Tweaking Windows 10

Discus and support Tweaking Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not sure if this should go in "Customization" thread, but, here it goes: Hello. I am trying to 'tweak' my copy of Windows 10. One of my projects is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RadCazz, Dec 12, 2017.

1. RadCazz Win User

Tweaking Windows 10

Not sure if this should go in "Customization" thread, but, here it goes:

Hello. I am trying to 'tweak' my copy of Windows 10. One of my projects is to delete unecessary files, freeing up disk space (my primary 1 TB SSD is already almost full). So, this I have planned:

1. Delete old versions of Windows libraries from the WinSxS folder.
    2. Remove old Windows version archive.
    3. Delete temporary Windows Update files.
    4. Delete Windows pre-sale demo files.
    5. Delete all system resore point files except for the last three (just in case).

Is the above a good idea? Do you foresee any problems?
    I'd like to know.

Thanks for help!

Tweaking Windows 10 :)

:)

RadCazz, Dec 12, 2017

2. Windows 10 Tweaks

There is no need to. By design cpu does "prefer" the active window.

Care to tell us what you are trying to do?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Tweaks

I have a question. I want to know how I can set my CPU priority to prefer foreground apps rather than background apps. Can anyone tell me how I can accomplish this?

lordofthelions, Dec 12, 2017
  4. Tweaking Windows 10

I have something similar, I use it after Windows updates, but it removes all system restore points. Windows has Last Good Know Configuration, so system restore is not that needed, besides there are better options.

[Batch] Windows Cleanup - Pastebin.com

TairikuOkami, Dec 12, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Restore points are flakey at best of times.

I always create a full image backup periodically, and create a differential or incremental image backip before messing around using Macrium Reflect. I have turned off system restore as it does not offer anything new.

cereberus, Dec 12, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    You're not going to gain much by slimming down the Windows system. At most it's 25GB. The restore points are a good one to get rid of though, they can consume a lot of space if you haven't set an upper limit.

Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10

No, you should be looking elsewhere. A good place to start is Settings > System > Storage. Click on your C: drive to expand it to a list of what's using the space.

View Storage Usage of Drives in Windows 10

7. Cr00zng Win User
    Is that a mistype Bree? The Windows 10 "Windows" folder on my system is 73GBs. Or it's my system that overly fat...

Cr00zng, Dec 13, 2017
  8. Tweaking Windows 10

Did you remove the Old Windows Folder?

Josey Wales, Dec 13, 2017
  9. That is humungous. *Shock My Windows takes 9,6GB and the whole system partition takes ~13GB.
    But check the size though some disk usage utility, Explorer includes symlinks, so it multiplies it.

TairikuOkami, Dec 13, 2017
  10. That script of yours works wonders. Thanks *Thumbs

Josey Wales, Dec 13, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    No, it is not a mistype. You can get a misleading size for the Windows folder if you use File Explorer and look at its Properties. That's because the WinSxS folder contains a lot of hard links, each of which is counted as being a separate file but in reality they all point to a single physical file. For a true measure of the size, look at Settings > System > Storage.

Disk Clean up uses the same simplistic algorithm to calculate size, which is why it sometimes reports 3.99TB to clean up.

To get the true size of the WinSxS component store (and its apparent size Explorer would report) from an Admin command prompt type:

dism /online /cleanup-image /AnalyzeComponentStore

This will also tell you how much space can be reclaimed. You can use Disk Clean up's 'clean system files' button to do so. If you prefer, you can also use:

dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

*Arrow Analyze Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

*Arrow Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

For the ultimate reduction of size, but at the expense of not being able to uninstall any previous updates, see /ResetBase in Option Three.

12. Cr00zng Win User
    The WinSxS command line disk clean up (thanks Bree) did free up some space, the folder size had been reduced from 7.56GBs to 6.36GBs. TheTreeSize utility shows this:

Tweaking Windows 10 [​IMG]

Deducting the "Installer" folder size from "Windows" folder size results in 23.9GBs, which is in line with most of your quotes about the "Windows" folder size.

About the system in question...

Windows 8.1 was initially installed five or six years ego and a week or so ego, updated to Windows 10. The folder "C:/Windows.old" is 6.2GBs and not part of of the "C:/Windows" folder.

AFAIK, messing with the "Installer" folder can break applications, or even Windows. The system is installed on a 256GBs partion of the 1TB SSD drive; this partition still has ~100GBs free space and could be extended, if needed. So, space is really not an issue, even if some of the folders are way too large.

I did look at ways to cleanup the "Installer" folder, preferably by a utility, instead of manually moving the folder to other drives. For example. PatchCleaner seems promising but even that could break programs.

Is there any safe way to reduce the size of the "Installer" folder?

PS: Yes, clean install of Windows 10 would drastically reduce the folder size... *really

Cr00zng, Dec 13, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Tweaking Windows 10

The safest way to clean up Windows is with Disk Clean up. For the deepest cleaning (even more than 'clean system files' can do) use the Extended Clean up, Option Two in this tutorial.

Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

14. EdTittel Win User
    There are some other cleanups or cleanup tools you might find helpful:
    1. The DriverStore Cleanup tool (aka RAPR.exe) will find and help you remove outdated drivers. On machines left alone for some time, this can add up to 2-3GB of disk savings.
    2. As an alternative to DISM cleanup, the HomeDev tool PatchCleaner does a pretty good job of identifying and allowing you to remove obsolete WinSxS packages.
    3. The Josh Cell Software package UnCleaner is the best around at cleaning up temporary and other transient Windows files (I provide the MajorGeeks link here, as I also do for WUMT, because the primary site is currently unavailable [Uncleaner] or hard to find [WUMT])
    4. And, of course, as others have already observed, there's always room to look at your disks using TreeSize or WinDirStat to see what else might need cleaning up. I regularly archive my Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos libraries to an external USB drive. Lots of detritus can build up over time and needs inspection and clean-up.

If I think of other clean-up items so far unmentioned in this thread, I'll return to post them later.

HTH,
    --Ed--

Download UnCleaner Free now active again

EdTittel, Dec 13, 2017
  15. Cr00zng Win User
    Going against conventional wisdom... size does not really matter, as long as there's plenty of space available.

The only question is... Leaving the folder sizes as they are, is there any measurable impact to the performance of the system?

Cr00zng, Dec 13, 2017
Thema:

Tweaking Windows 10

1. Tweaking Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Tweaking

2. Can't take Screenshot Due to Using Tweaks "Quickboost" & "Optimizer" [I don't know if...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't take Screenshot Due to Using Tweaks "Quickboost" & "Optimizer" [I don't know if...: I'm having a problem, I recently did an optimization tweak "Quickboost" & "Optimizer" and after that I can't take screenshots, I have tried every single Fix but still nothing Works and I even tried to go back to a restore point but still And I tried shortcuts But it just...
  3. Can't take Screenshot Due to Using Tweaks "Quickboost" & "Optimizer" [I don't know if...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't take Screenshot Due to Using Tweaks "Quickboost" & "Optimizer" [I don't know if...: I'm having a problem, I recently did an optimization tweak "Quickboost" & "Optimizer" and after that I can't take screenshots, I have tried every single Fix but still nothing Works and I even tried to go back to a restore point but still And I tried shortcuts But it just...
  4. why do tweak programmes offer driver updates that don't seem to exist

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    why do tweak programmes offer driver updates that don't seem to exist: Glary and CCleaner both try to persuade me to update to their paid versions to get updates to various drivers, that they've identified as available. Windows Update always tells me I have the latest versions of these drivers. And I've never been able to find them by searching...
  5. why do tweak programmes offer driver updates that don't exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why do tweak programmes offer driver updates that don't exist: Glary and CCleaner both try to persuade me to update to their paid versions to get updates to various drivers, that they've identified as available. Windows Update always tells me I have the latest versions of these drivers. And I've never been able to find them by searching...
  6. why do tweak programmes offer driver updates that don't exist

why do tweak programmes offer driver updates that don't exist: Glary and CCleaner both try to persuade me to update to their paid versions to get updates to various drivers, that they've identified as available. Windows Update always tells me I have the latest versions of these drivers. And I've never been able to find them by searching...
  7. Im about to be tweaking someone help me.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Im about to be tweaking someone help me.: I tried downloading kb4534310 for my computer but I kept getting Installer encountered an error: 0x80070424 The specified service does not exist as an installed service again and again and I tried downloadin the other kb's too but I kept getting the same result. Any idea how...
  8. Im about to be tweaking someone help me.

Im about to be tweaking someone help me.: I tried downloading kb4534310 for my computer but I kept getting Installer encountered an error: 0x80070424 The specified service does not exist as an installed service again and again and I tried downloadin the other kb's too but I kept getting the same result. Any idea how...
  9. explorer.exe glitch after kerishdoctor tweaks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer.exe glitch after kerishdoctor tweaks: so i installed kerishdoctor did the scan applied all recomendations. after restart i have black screen and cursor. Task manager shows that explorer.exe wont start. When i try to start explorer manually it starts for 1 second then turns off automatically then starts again then...
  10. explorer.exe glitch after kerishdoctor tweaks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    explorer.exe glitch after kerishdoctor tweaks: so i installed kerishdoctor did the scan applied all recomendations. after restart i have black screen and cursor. Task manager shows that explorer.exe wont start. When i try to start explorer manually it starts for 1 second then turns off automatically then starts again then...