Windows 10: unable to run windows subsystem for linux file system error (12029)

Discus and support unable to run windows subsystem for linux file system error (12029) in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I have enabled Linux subsystem for WIndows and rebooted and tried installing several different linux distros from Microsoft store but all install and... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by david papkin, Oct 14, 2019.

1. unable to run windows subsystem for linux file system error (12029)

I have enabled Linux subsystem for WIndows and rebooted and tried installing several different linux distros from Microsoft store but all install and give same file system error. I am running win 10 pro 1903

Help!

:)

david papkin, Oct 14, 2019

2. Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Oct 14, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to enable Windows Subsystem for Linux

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you have downloaded Linux Terminal from Microsoft Store and you are getting an error when running the PowerShell command. However, as per the article

Windows Subsystem for Linux Installation Guide for Windows 10
    you need to run the PowerShell command first and then install the required Linux distribution from the store. I suggest you to try running the PowerShell command
    first and check.

For more information on Windows Subsystem for Linux, please refer the articles

Windows Subsystem for Linux Documentation
    and

Troubleshooting Windows Subsystem for Linux

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals and experts on this query to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 14, 2019
  4. unable to run windows subsystem for linux file system error (12029)

See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in File Explorer

How to List All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10

The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly on Windows, alongside your traditional Windows desktop and modern store apps.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18342 (19H1) and Windows 10 build 18836 (20H1), Microsoft added some new commands that will give you more functionality when using wsl.exe. The commands that existed inside of wslconfig.exe have been added to wsl.exe to allow you to configure your distros more easily.

--list or --l has been added to wsl.exe that lists all distributions available for the current user. You could use --running with --list to see all currently running imported WSL distros.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to see a list of names of all currently running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) distros for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in File Explorer
    • Option Two: See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in PowerShell

unable to run windows subsystem for linux file system error (12029) [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on Linux in the navigation pane, and click/tap on the Distros shortcut. (see screenshot below)

3. You will now see the names of all currently running WSL distros for your account. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below for your version of Windows 10 into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (For Windows 10 version 1903 and later)
    wsl --list --running or wsl -l --running

OR

(For versions earlier than Windows 10 version 1903)
    *Arrow wslconfig /list /running or wslconfig /l /running
    3. You will now see a list of names for all currently running WSL distros for your account.

OPTION THREE
    See List of All Running Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Command Prompt
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below for your version of Windows 10 into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    wsl --list --running or wsl -l --running

OR

(For versions earlier than Windows 10 version 1903)
    *Arrow wslconfig /list /running or wslconfig /l /running
    3. You will now see a list of names for all currently running WSL distros for your account.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

unable to run windows subsystem for linux file system error (12029)

1. unable to run windows subsystem for linux file system error (12029) - Similar Threads - unable run subsystem

2. Windows Subsystem for Linux cannot run with error code:0x80370102

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subsystem for Linux cannot run with error code:0x80370102: When I download Linux subsystem like Ubuntu,I cannot install it successfully.Error code:0x80370102.Follow the Microsoft support document ,I opened Virtual Machine Platform,hypervisorlaunchtype,Hyper-V ,Virtualization and WSL.But it seems that it is still there.I cannot update...
  3. Windows Subsystem for Linux cannot run with error code:0x80370102

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Subsystem for Linux cannot run with error code:0x80370102: When I download Linux subsystem like Ubuntu,I cannot install it successfully.Error code:0x80370102.Follow the Microsoft support document ,I opened Virtual Machine Platform,hypervisorlaunchtype,Hyper-V ,Virtualization and WSL.But it seems that it is still there.I cannot update...
  4. Run Linux Apps on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run Linux Apps on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux: WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to run GNU/Linux environment in Windows 10/11 directly without using a dual-boot configuration or a virtual machine.GIMP running on Windows 11 installation, courtesy of WSLgPrerequisites for WSLWSL1/WSL2 requires Windows 10 Build...
  5. Run Linux Apps on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux

Run Linux Apps on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux: WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to run GNU/Linux environment in Windows 10/11 directly without using a dual-boot configuration or a virtual machine.GIMP running on Windows 11 installation, courtesy of WSLgPrerequisites for WSLWSL1/WSL2 requires Windows 10 Build...
  6. Unable to Remove Windows Subsystem for Linux

Unable to Remove Windows Subsystem for Linux: Windows Version: 1809 (OS Build 17763.1098) I am trying to setup Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in WSL. I have enabled WSL Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux FeatureName : Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux...
  7. Unable to Remove Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Remove Windows Subsystem for Linux: Windows Version: 1809 (OS Build 17763.1098) I am trying to setup Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in WSL. I have enabled WSL Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux FeatureName : Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux...
  8. Unable to enable Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to enable Windows Subsystem for Linux: So i have downloald Linux Terminal from Microsoft Store i have turned on the developer options but the last thing i need to do is to turn on Linux Subsystem. I tried to turn it on from PowerShell by typing the followin command Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online...
  9. Linux Subsystem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linux Subsystem: So i have downloald Linux Terminal from Microsoft Store i have turned on the developer options but the last thing i need to do is to turn on Linux Subsystem. I tried to turn it on from PowerShell by typing the followin command Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online...
  10. Windows 10 linux subsystem: Run Linux desktop directly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 linux subsystem: Run Linux desktop directly?: I watched a video about the guy using Windows subsystem and run full Linux desktop without using remote software. There is no white thing on top. He can switch between Linux and Windows using a keyboard shortcut. Linux desktop is smooth, 60 fps, no lag so it means he don't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wsl file system error

2. file system error running linux subsystem

3. ubuntu wsl file system error 2145103860

4. wsl file system error launch