Windows 10: Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

Discus and support Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10 How to Uninstall Product Key to Deactivate Windows 10 Activation helps verify that your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by blueskyler, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

How to: Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

How to Uninstall Product Key to Deactivate Windows 10

Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasnt been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.

Uninstalling a retail product key on a PC can be useful if you wanted to sell or give the PC away with Windows 10 still installed by not activated, or if you just wanted to use the product key to activate Windows 10 on another PC.

Uninstalling the product key on a Windows 10 PC will not remove the key for that PC from Microsoft activation servers.

If you try to activate Windows 10 on another PC with this same retail product key, you may have to activate by phone if online activation fails.

This tutorial will show you how to uninstall the product key on a PC to deactivate Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to uninstall the product key.

*note An OEM PC with UEFI firmware will have its product key permanently embedded in the firmware chip. It can't be removed.

EXAMPLE: Windows 10 not activated after uninstalling product key

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter to uninstall the product key. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow slmgr /upk

3. Click/tap on OK when the product key has successfully been uninstalled. (see screenshot below)

4. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*note This will ShowKeyPlus.

This will not remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip.

*Arrow slmgr /cpky

5. Click/tap on OK when the product key has successfully been cleared from the registry. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

blueskyler, Jun 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade - Bought, then computer returned

Yes, if it is a retail one it carries transfer rights.Just uninstall the key from old machine and use it on another.

Product Key - Uninstall to Deactivate Windows 10

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 28, 2016
  3. Upgrading Hardware - Any way to keep Windows 10?

As you said,outer case-it looks like a retail license which can be transferred to another computer(motherboard)-(correct me if it is a preinstalled OS).

as you are swapping your hardware uninstall product key from the older running OS and then enter the key during the clean Install when prompted

Uninstall:

Product Key - Uninstall to Deactivate Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    If you don't wish to uninstall or it cannot be uninstalled then you would have to contact customer support to acticate

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 28, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

Hello blueskyler, *Smile

There's no need.

Usually, you'll only uninstall the key to deactivate Windows if you're giving/selling the PC to someone that you don't want to have the key with it.

Brink, Jun 28, 2016
  5. when I go to install windows just use the key when prompted? *Smile

blueskyler, Jun 29, 2016
  6. I dont get how that works because how does microsoft know you havent just used your product key on a new computer and your still using the old computer with the same product key, if you get what im saying. Surely you need to deactivate it so they know your not using the same product key on more than one computer.

Or is it tied to your microsoft account or something?

aflumbahgee, Aug 26, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello aflumbahgee, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The license is tied to your harwareID (motherboard) on Microsoft's activation server. If you try to activate another PC with the same license, it will be detected by Microsoft's activation server and most likely denied. If the retail license has actually been removed from all other computers, then you could try activating by phone. An OEM license is non transferable.

Deactivating Windows will not remove it from Microsoft's activation server. It just simply deactivates Windows on the PC itself.

Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  8. Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

Oh I see, because this guy is using the same motherboard he is fine.

So how come the top answer in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-04cb71dae9d5

says that if you have the retail version (of windows 7 or 8.1) you can transfer it to a new motherboard, without mentioning the need to deactivate windows on your old computer. Wouldn't the key still be on the activation server?

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Deactivating Windows will not remove it from Microsoft's activation server.

It just simply deactivates Windows on the PC itself. This would only be helpful if say you're giving or selling the computer to someone, and don't want it to be activated with your retail product key.

You would only need to either uninstall or deactivate Windows on any other PC that you plan on using the same retail product key (license) on a new PC.

Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  10. Ok I see, if I want to transfer my retail copy of windows 8.1 (which I upgraded to windows 10 when it was free) to a new computer with a new motherboard how would I go about doing that?

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You can't. The free upgrade offer EULA states that you cannot use the Windows 8.1 product key as long as you still have the free Windows 10 installed and activated.

Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  12. But the top answer here says that I can?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-04cb71dae9d5

It also says this in the windows 10 terms and conditions:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

This seems to be saying I could transfer it over to a new computer(with a new motherboard). The question is, it says you have to remove the software from the prior device, so by that do they just mean wipe the hard drive?

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You can only use the same Windows 8.1 product key used for the free offer to activate if you have the free Windows 10 uninstalled (ex: formatted) or deactivated.

Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  14. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you.

So your saying that I would need to uninstall (or deactivate) windows 10 first, then I could use the product key on a new computer? Would I have to uninstall/deactivate windows 8.1 as well?

So then if I installed windows 10 using the media creation tool (Download Windows 10) onto my new computer and put in the retail windows 8.1 product key, it would work? This seems to indicate that it would:

But how does windows know if windows has been unistalled/deactivated?

They dont half make it complicated do they? Why isnt there an option to deactivate windows in the options? Or why dont they tie your product key to your email address or something...

15. I also have another issue if you don’t mind… *Wink

My brother was a bit dumb and use this guide (but the windows 7 version) to uninstall his windows 7 product key which was on a partition on his macbook. He wanted to deactivate so he could use the product key on his new pc build, but he never wrote down or saved his product key which he got given. He tried to use NirSoft’s ProduKey to see if the product key is still there but it said there was no product key. I was just wondering if there is a way for him to recover his product key still or if it’s completely gone.

Thema:

1. Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Uninstall Product Key

2. Product key not deactivating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key not deactivating: I want to transfer my Windows 11 Pro account to a new PC. I ran the commands to deactivate the product key and removed my existing pc from the account. However, it is not deactivated and the other PC can't find the product key.Here's a screenshot. The pc still says that it's...
  3. Product key not deactivating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product key not deactivating: I want to transfer my Windows 11 Pro account to a new PC. I ran the commands to deactivate the product key and removed my existing pc from the account. However, it is not deactivated and the other PC can't find the product key.Here's a screenshot. The pc still says that it's...
  4. Uninstalling or deactivating OEM Product Key from motherboard and Operating System

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Uninstalling or deactivating OEM Product Key from motherboard and Operating System: Hi!I have purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 3505 Ryzen 3 laptop, it came with a pre-installed Windows 10 Home, which is activated by An OEM key, now I want to install Windows 10 Pro, how can I uninstall or deactivate the OEM key from the motherboard and hard-drive, so that I can...
  5. Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate

Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate: Hi, I recently bought a Windows 10 Home product key straight from the Windows website for a new PC build that I'm doing. I initially used the product key on one build, but since Windows kept crashing and won't boot after three times of clean install and a BIOS update, I...
  6. Deactivate product key

Deactivate product key: Hi, Can anyone guide me on how i can deactivate the key product and move the product key on a new device? The existing win 10 version is an upgrade from win 7 premium. If that helps? TIA...
  7. Recover uninstalled Windows 10 Product Key

Recover uninstalled Windows 10 Product Key: Hello, so I may have inadvertently uninstalled my product key when my system was showing the "Your Windows license will expire soon" error. I unknowingly typed "slmgr.vbs /upk" in command prompt. I can't seem to find the key anywhere now. Any help pls?...
  8. Retrieve windows 10 product key after key deactivation

Retrieve windows 10 product key after key deactivation: I built a new pc, so instead of buying a new license I decided to transfer the license from my old pc to the new one. I went into This PC->Properties and wrote down the code at the bottom of the page, then i looked up online how to deactivate the code and i found that you go...
  9. Product Key Deactivation

Product Key Deactivation: Hi all, I bought Windows 10 Home Edition when I built my PC a couple of years ago and I am now going to be selling it to build a new one. I will be keeping my SSD which Windows and other programs are currently installed on, putting in a new one and installing Windows on...
  10. How to reactivate windows 10 product key, once deactivated?

How to reactivate windows 10 product key, once deactivated?: I accidently deactivated it while i was using command prompt (admin). Now, i am unable to access some built-in features & I don't have original product key with me now. Is there any way to reactivate my key?...