Windows 10: Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows

Discus and support Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows How to Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows [img] Information When you install and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Superfly, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Superfly Win User

Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows

How to: Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows

How to Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows

Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows [​IMG]
    Information When you install and ShowKeyPlus to view your installed product key if lost.

However, having your installed product key in the registry could leave it vulnerable to being stolen from disclosure attacks by malicious software. Clearing the product key from the registry will prevent this, but you will need to make sure to keep a copy of your product key written down and kept in a secure location.

This tutorial will show you how to permanently clear the product key from the registry to prevent it from being stolen in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to clear the product key from the registry.

Note This will not remove an OEM Windows 8/8.1/10 product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip.

If you run the slmgr /dli command in a command prompt, you will still be able to see the last 5 characters of the installed product key to help let you know what key you used to activate Windows with.

Here's How:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow slmgr /cpky

3. Click/tap on OK when the product key has successfully been cleared from the registry. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Superfly, Jan 4, 2016

2. Activating clean installation Windows 10

I think the activation server has stored your Pro Information so it got auto activated.

First of all uninstall the product key and do clear it from Registry:

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

Then activate using CMD :

Activate Windows 10

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10 install and product key woes

After many many hours I've resolved the problem For the benefit of anyone else with the same problem, here is what I did:

1. Opened elevated command prompt and entered slmgr /upk hit enter and press ok when dialog "Uninstalled Product Key Successfully" appears.

2. Then type slmgr /cpky hit enter and press ok when dialog "Product Key From Registry Cleared Successfully" appears.

3. On the USB drive for installing Windows I created a file named PID.txt and put it in the
    Sources folder. In the file I entered:

[PID]

Value=your product key here

4. I then ran the install from the USB drive.

Windows Home installed this time rather than Pro. The product key remained incorrect, but at least the right version is now installed. I tried to update the product key (or product ID as it now seems to be called). It appeared successful and I got no errors,
    but even after restarting the incorrect product key still showed up. The following steps resolved the incorrect product key for me:

1. Open Registry Editor (WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter)

2. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion

3. Change Product ID to the correct product ID.

4. Close the registry editor.

If you check the system page in Control Panel it should now show the correct Product ID.

Hope this helps if you're facing similar difficulties*

* I'm not technical at all, so there may be more 'correct ways' to do this!

MikeBrownSkye, Jan 4, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

That would be a good idea to have that included.

*Thumbs

Brink, Jan 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows - Similar Threads - Clear Product Key

2. Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey: When I find my windows product key with the cmd prompt it is different from the BackupProductKey shown in the registry editor. This computer was purchased with Win10Pro installed. I need to update windows let it stay at 1511 for years and want to make sure I don't have a...
  3. Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey: When I find my windows product key with the cmd prompt it is different from the BackupProductKey shown in the registry editor. This computer was purchased with Win10Pro installed. I need to update windows let it stay at 1511 for years and want to make sure I don't have a...
  4. Why is cmd prompt windows product key is different from registry editor BackupProductKey

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WaasMedicSvc key missing from registry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WaasMedicSvc key missing from registry: My windows update keep disabling when I try to enable it on services.msc so I tried some guide and I didn't know that you cannot delete WaasMedicSvc, Now I lost my WaasMedicSvc and I still cannot fix my windows update, is there any way to fix it?...
  6. Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?: Hi,My question is Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?What if the Windows Product BIOS key is differ from the Windows Product Registry key?Also should we keep Windows Product key some where safe or in case of loss we can obtain...
  7. Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?: Hi,My question is Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?What if the Windows Product BIOS key is differ from the Windows Product Registry key?Also should we keep Windows Product key some where safe or in case of loss we can obtain...
  8. Windows Product BIOS Key and Windows Product Registry key should they be the same?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Registry keys registry keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  10. Remapping key FROM REGISTRY

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remapping key FROM REGISTRY: My 'delete' key doesn't work anymore. I'd like to remap it to the 'insert' key. I've tried EVERY. SINGLE. Third party program. I've tried Microsoft's program for remapping. None have worked. I want to go straight through the registry so I can do ctrl-alt-del. I haven't...