Windows 10: Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another

Discus and support Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Umm. The key is always to research the exact non-human-interpretable meant for the eyes of the designer only error message, as you probably know. We're... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by boweasel, Sep 25, 2016.

1. boweasel Win User

Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another

I posted this in the tutorial forum

I'm obviously missing something very basic here. I downloaded an iso image of W10 months ago from a tutorial on this forum. I labeled it Windows 10 Home and used it to correct whatever problem I was having.

Now, months later I tried to use it to do a repair install on my mom's Windows 10 tower

Nothing about the repair install has worked, but the person attempting to help me in that thread suggested I navigate to this link
    ISO - See what Language, Edition, and Architecture of Windows 10
    and run dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:I:\sources\install.wim /index:1

Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another [​IMG]

The results of that show that the disk I'm using to do a repair install on a 64 bit Windows Home OS is a 64 bit Windows Pro disk. I have no idea how that occurred, and re-reading through this thread fails to make me understand it with any more clarity. I thought following the steps outlined here would get me a disk I could use to work on either W10 Pro or W10 Home. Did I miss something? Or totally screw up the process?

And do the results I got from that DISM command explain why the in place repair install failed?

boweasel, Oct 1, 2016
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

Run this command:
    dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:I:\sources\install.wim /index:2

Note: change the Index:1 to Index:2. The downloaded ISO image contains both Home and Pro.

NavyLCDR, Oct 1, 2016
  3. dalchina New Member
    Hi, this is perhaps what you've not noticed from the instructions here:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

• You will only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10. You will not be able to do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode.
    • You will need at least around 8.87 GB + what Windows is currently using of free space available on the Windows drive.
    • The installation media (ex: build[/b] as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.
    • The installation media (ex: language[/b] as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.
    • If you have a USB.
    • If you have a USB.

You can't use a 10586 iso to repair a 1607 build e.g.

Here's how to check your iso version:
    ISO - See what Language, Edition, and Architecture of Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Here's how to check your Windows build:
    Windows key + R, type winver

A Win 10 iso will install home or pro depending on your license/activation

dalchina, Oct 1, 2016
  4. boweasel Win User

Okay. I guess that meant nothing. I redid the DISM command, changing index1 to index2, and also ran the winver command. There is a version discrepancy between the OS and disk.

So what do I do to correct that?

Edit - Oops, there does not seem to be a discrepancy. Sorry. I will explore your other suggestion links, some of which I've already read while awaiting forum responses.

boweasel, Oct 1, 2016
  5. boweasel Win User
    Random thoughts in red

boweasel, Oct 2, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    This is normal... the iso is the base build, and your build with updates is higher (last digits).
    But both are the same major build 10586 (1511).

dalchina, Oct 2, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 2, 2016
  8. boweasel Win User

dalchina... I appreciate all your help. I really do. But we are no further along right now than we were when I first posted. Would another set of eyes help? And the time zone difference doesn't do us any favors - I can read your reply in the morning, give a response, and then sometimes have to wait another day to see what you post back.

As far as licensing goes.... When she first upgraded her HP Slimline from W7 to W10 everything seemed to go well. But after a couple of months her motherboard bit the dust. Someone had given me this gigantic gaming tower they'd built that was running Windows 7, but they'd removed the hard drive. So I put my mom's drive in the chassis and booted up. It started okay, but if I remember correctly it gave me grief about activation. I had to indicate that I would enter a new key, and when prompted, typed the 25 character key off her old W7 Slimline chassis. That worked, and Windows 10 was activated, but she no longer has the Slimline, so we do not know if a complete reinstall will activate. There is of course the Recovery option from within Windows 10 where it wipes everything out and reinstalls the OS. I assume that would NOT require any sort of activation (or key) but I'm not positive.

So, given this, plus the scary link you provided about transferring licenses, and my mother's inability to pay for a new Windows 10 OS,.... I would obviously prefer to not have to go the complete reinstall or complete recovery option. But we seem to be spinning our wheels here.

Thoughts?

I DID try to use the DISM Cleanup-Image command again, but this time I entered the path for the DVD drive. I still got the component store corruption message...

boweasel, Oct 2, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    It seems like it is time for a clean install. Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and run:

slmgr /dlv

Here's the result you should get:

As long as you see Partial Product Key -8HVX7 (for home edition) and License Status Licensed the activation should be good to go based on the hardware ID of the computer.

You can also run showkey plus from this forum and it will show you what Windows 7/8 product key was used for the upgrade.

If you do go for a clean install, I would download a new Media Creation Tool and download a new version 1607 ISO file and do a clean install with the most recent build available.

NavyLCDR, Oct 4, 2016
  10. boweasel Win User
    Okay then. I guess I'm good to go. So I won't need a product key then?

boweasel, Oct 4, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Should not need a product key. Click "I don't have a product key", then select Home version. Make sure to download and install just plain Windows 10. NOT Single Language Edition, not "N" Edition - just plain Windows 10. If you want to make sure you are installing the same version that was activated before, instead of skipping the product key, you can enter the Windows 10 Home generic product key that ends in 8HVX7:

Solved after upgrade windows 10 cannot activate Error code: 0xC004F034 - Page 5 - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Oct 4, 2016
  12. boweasel Win User

I finally bit the bullet and did a complete reinstall of Windows 10. Although the updates problem has been resolved, the graphics driver problems have not.

If a mod wants to move this to another subtopic that's fine with me, since these errors seem to have nothing to do with updates or activation.

boweasel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another - Similar Threads - Updates Trying resolve

2. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Another Problem!!: My laptop is stuck in it's loading screen for the past hour and I am not able to get it to work is there any shortcut that will help shut down the system during the process or if there is any other solution plz let me know URGENT!!!!...
  3. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Another Problem!!: My laptop is stuck in it's loading screen for the past hour and I am not able to get it to work is there any shortcut that will help shut down the system during the process or if there is any other solution plz let me know URGENT!!!!...
  4. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Usb only shows up on 1 pc and not another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Usb only shows up on 1 pc and not another: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/CodyBro1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j2sdtn/usb_only_shows_up_on_1_pc_and_not_another/
  6. another problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    another problem: The remote service accepts connections encrypted using TLS 1.1. TLS 1.1 lacks support for current and recommended cipher suites. Ciphers that support encryption before MAC computation, and authenticated encryption modes such as GCM cannot be used with TLS 1.1 As of March 31,...
  7. Another Windows Update Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Another Windows Update Problem: Greetings everyone, I thank all of you in advance for reading this. I am deperate at this point So here I am, with my Windows 1607 build, I know pretty old. And I am finally trying to update, but my built in Windows Updater is not working. It just says "Downloading Updates...
  8. Another "Windows update" with problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Another "Windows update" with problems: For history Windows update 1803 partitioned my hard drive; which I was able to restore./resolve.. . " Now my hard now has 5 partitions, performance is record low or my system crashes... What caused this and how do I fix it?...
  9. Another try

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Another try: I have tried 10 a couple of times when the upgrade was free but it was so buggy and the privacy issues did worry me and on one machine the whole thing just froze. Now I am wondering if I am too late to install 7 onto a new drive and then upgrade for free? Edit I am...
  10. Another Update Another Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Another Update Another Problem: Really getting tired of this OS. Second time this happened. 1 >Default browser went back to IE. 2 >Settings opens Control Panel 3 >Programs that should appear on Task bar DON'T 4 >More that I didn't write down 1 > Ran sfc /scannow TWICE nothing 2 > This one is great...