Windows 10: Utter confusion: MS Account and "You need to fix MS account for apps."

Discus and support Utter confusion: MS Account and "You need to fix MS account for apps." in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; OK, I have Googled this annoying notification and have become completely confused on how to handle it. The reason for this is that I just don't... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by flycaster, Nov 29, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Utter confusion: MS Account and "You need to fix MS account for apps."

OK, I have Googled this annoying notification and have become completely confused on how to handle it. The reason for this is that I just don't understand (or rather, can't get a handle on) MS account. So, let me tell you what I have, and perhaps you can lead me on as how to rid myself of this notification, or how to handle it appropriately.

I do have an MS account assigned to my email. But I don't know if I sign in with it or with a local account. I have a desktop that when I sign in I use a password (not the MS account pw and the screen shows my name and an empty avatar) that opens Windows 10 Anniversary. On my portable, I use the same password on a screen that shows my email address to open Windows 10. When I open my MS account, it will list both computers.

I do not know how to proceed to stopping this annoying notification. Hopefully, given the info above, I can be shown how.

:)

flycaster, Nov 29, 2016
  2. john-5683 Win User

MS Account ; you need to fix your MS Account for app------------ How? Thanks in advance

you need to fix your MS Account for app------------ How? Thanks in advance

john-5683, Nov 29, 2016
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Nov 29, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 29, 2016
  5. flycaster Win User
    Hey Brink, spot on - thanks...When it comes to Windows problems, I don't know what I would do without you and your colleagues help.

But, now let me ask if there is any downside to what I just did? And if there is, I would imagine that turning the function ON would eliminate the downside(s)? Also, am I a "local" or a "MS account" sign-on?

flycaster, Nov 29, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The only downside would be that the apps won't sync between devices while turned off. If you don't use the feature, then there's no downside.

The tutorial below can help determine if you are currently signed in to a local or Microsoft account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Nov 29, 2016
  7. flycaster Win User
    Read the link, but still somewhat confused. I used the same PW (this PW is not the same as the one I used to open my MS account) when opening Windows 10 on my desktop and my portable. However, the desktop screen that contains the field for the PW also has my name, but the portable's comparable PW screen has my email address. So, are they both local, one MS account other local, or both MS account? BTW, I'm thinking both local?

flycaster, Nov 29, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 29, 2016
  9. flycaster Win User
    Spoke too soon. The notification came back this morning after I had tried method 1 in Settings. I just now tried method 2 with the downloaded file. Will report back on results...

flycaster, Nov 30, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Be sure to turn off both settings for app continue experiences.

Brink, Nov 30, 2016
  11. flycaster Win User
    After doing the reg bit and rebooting, no more notification to fix...so far.

flycaster, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Utter confusion: MS Account and "You need to fix MS account for apps." - Similar Threads - Utter confusion Account

2. Confusing, Baffling, MS Account Changes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confusing, Baffling, MS Account Changes...: Hi. On my Windows laptop, I want to remove the current admin account, and replace with a different one. When Googling how to do it, all answers are complete bulls*it. I'm on Windows 11.So, going to 'Settings' > 'Accounts' > 'Email & Accounts', I see the following - the main...
  3. Confusing, Baffling, MS Account Changes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confusing, Baffling, MS Account Changes...: Hi. On my Windows laptop, I want to remove the current admin account, and replace with a different one. When Googling how to do it, all answers are complete bulls*it. I'm on Windows 11.So, going to 'Settings' > 'Accounts' > 'Email & Accounts', I see the following - the main...
  4. Ongoing, Confusing and Baffling MS Accounts...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ongoing, Confusing and Baffling MS Accounts...: See attached for my laptop login screen. Note in the bottom left it gives me two option of accounts I can login with. I want to completely remove the '*** Email address is removed for privacy ***' account so it isn't seen on this laptop anymore.When I go to 'Setting' >...
  5. Ongoing, Confusing and Baffling MS Accounts...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ongoing, Confusing and Baffling MS Accounts...: See attached for my laptop login screen. Note in the bottom left it gives me two option of accounts I can login with. I want to completely remove the '*** Email address is removed for privacy ***' account so it isn't seen on this laptop anymore.When I go to 'Setting' >...
  6. MS accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS accounts: I have 2 MS accounts. I tried to change my primary alias to a different email of mine. That is when I learned there was/I have another account. Subscriptions are under acct I want to change. How can I combine the accounts? Delete the account that does not have any...
  7. MS Accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS Accounts: If I change any details in a Microsoft Account i.e. password, do I need to generate a new 'Account Recovery Code'? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-accounts/9e79fa3d-e676-4bf4-8ad4-bcad885e6193
  8. MS slide out warning that my MS account needs fixing

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS slide out warning that my MS account needs fixing: Daily a little box slides out of the bottom right of my screen advising me that something is amiss with my MS account. I've clicked on "fix it" and on every option available via the box turning everything OFF. All my default apps are NOT MS apps. Now I just want that...
  9. MS account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    MS account: I have since years a MS account. The newest is that I can't get into my details in the account anymore. MS makes it VERY VERY difficult for a simple user, which I am! I am not a hacker or anything like that, just want to change entries. What happened? I wanted to enter my...
  10. "You need fix your MS account" popup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "You need fix your MS account" popup: This is what I'm talking about [img] 76501