Windows 10: What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead?

Discus and support What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; There have been plenty of rumours and leaks after we reported Microsoft is considering a new Start menu layout that ditches the Live Tiles for static... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Mar 5, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead?

There have been plenty of rumours and leaks after we reported Microsoft is considering a new Start menu layout that ditches the Live Tiles for static icons. Are live tiles dead? Not for now, but the Redmond firm is exploring a new Start menu without live tiles, but why? Let’s explore.

Live Tiles are interactive icons that display information that are useful at a glance without opening an app on the Start menu. For example, Weather app displays the forecast and you can customize the tile by relocating their position or you can also resize these tiles to make them work better for you.

Microsoft first introduced Live Tiles with the Windows Phone 7 operating system and the company added the live tiles to desktop with Windows 8.

Microsoft’s Windows 8 was heavily criticized for its tablet-oriented experience and the OS was replaced with Windows 10, but Start menu with Live Tiles still managed to stick around.

Microsoft has been neglecting Live Tiles in Windows 10 and people familiar with the development have suggested that Microsoft is pivoting away from Live Tiles. As per one of the old internal documents, the number of people customizing their Start menu tile layout was not huge.

In February, a source, who wished to remain anonymous, told me that Microsoft might begin replacing Live Tiles with static icons in a future update after the Windows 10 20H2 update.

This means we could see a Start menu without live tiles at some point in 2021 when Windows 10X would become available for consumers.

What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead? New-Start-menu.jpg

During the Windows Insider podcast, Microsoft showed off a new Start menu with visually appealing tiles that are more uniform but they don’t display live information.

While the company said it currently has no plans to remove Live Tiles entirely, the new Start menu does appear to suggest that Live Tiles will be replaced with static icons in future, at least for the first-party apps.

Microsoft says you’ll be able to enjoy your Live Tiles and devs can use it in their apps too. The Live Tiles are not getting killed off yet, but a future without Live Tiles is being considered and the changes could be determined based on the feedback from Windows 10X, which has a Start menu or Launcher without traditional tiles.

It’s likely that as Windows evolves with Fluent Design and Microsoft evaluates the feedback from Windows 10X, the Live Tile UI may eventually go away. For now, Live tiles are here to stay for the third-party apps and those who like it.

The post What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead? appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Mar 5, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Live Tiles may get removed from Windows 10 Start Menu

Read more:

How to Turn Live Tiles On or Off for Apps on Start in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Live Tile Notifications on Start in Windows 10

How to Clear Your Live Tile Cache on Start in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 5, 2020
  3. dzigibau Win User
    How to make Store tile live again in Start menu

I did that, too. Nothing.
    I tried this on laptop, when I set Show products on tile to OFF, it is silent, dead, when I set it back to ON, it starts working.
    On PC, whatever I choose, it is not working, just stayed dead.
    Any new suggestion.

dzigibau, Mar 5, 2020
  4. What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead?

How to make Store tile live again in Start menu

I noticed my store live tile went dead again earlier this evening so it’s very unpredictable. MS makes a bit of a mess of things with these modern apps, I’ve got two ‘my office’ app entries in my start menu apps list and a dead store tile - bit of a bug fest. Hopefully one day they’ll get it right

Scottyboy99, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead?

1. What’s next for Windows 10 Start menu: Are live tiles dead? - Similar Threads - What’s next Start

2. Start menu live tiles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu live tiles: My live tiles stopped working but they seem to work in another user account. How do I fix it? I already deleted that registry entry named like NoTileNotifications and checked group policy :( submitted by /u/Petrenkov [link] [comments]...
  3. Start Menu Live Tiles not Working Anymore

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Live Tiles not Working Anymore: I just factory reset my Windows 10 PC and the live tiles in the start menu no longer work. I've run the troubleshooter, which found nothing, and have tried resetting the apps but nothing seems to work. Any solutions?...
  4. Windows Start Menu Live Tiles Not Working

Windows Start Menu Live Tiles Not Working: Hello. Just got a new computer today, win10 64-bit, i7. i can add apps to the live tiles, but then when i go to move them around or resize them, the start menu crashes. if i open it up again, the apps i added are gone, leaving only the ones that were already there. this...
  5. How to edit url of live tile on start menu ?

How to edit url of live tile on start menu ?: I pinned tiles to the start menu from Edge, but they don't always work; when I click on them sometimes the url for some inexplicable reason becomes truncated so I get Edge's version of a 404 and I have to type the correct url into the address bar, then pin it again, which...
  6. Start Menu Live Tiles All Of Them Stopped Being Live

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Live Tiles All Of Them Stopped Being Live: Guys, Out from the sky, all my Start Menu Live Tiles stopped being live. Did not touch a thing. Windows 10 x32, 1709 16299.334 Do not have a Restore Point. Could you please help me to bring them alive again. It also influenced that my Mail App pinned to taskbar does...
  7. How To Restore Photos Live Tile In Start Menu?

How To Restore Photos Live Tile In Start Menu?: Hello All, I have a simple little problem that I need help fixing. In my start menu in Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition 14393.82, my live tile for my photos is completely missing. I know it use to be there but I may have done something to delete it or maybe Microsoft has...
  8. maps live tile dead

maps live tile dead: New version of maps came through on store updates this morning. It works fine but the live tile no longer seems to function. appears to be dead. Tried turning live tile off and on but made no difference. Seems to be same on our other pc too. Anyone else notice this? I love it...
  9. Store app live tile dead

Store app live tile dead: I only just noticed this but on our machines the store app tile is no longer live. Seems to be dead. Suspect it’s been like that for some time. Probably when they did their pointless update to change the name and icon. I tried turning live tile off and on again but it doesn’t...
  10. Dead Live Tiles

Dead Live Tiles: I lost Live tiles when I did a registry patch to fix a problem with Notifications see How to reset notification from these apps - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums How can I get them back again - tried unpinning, resetting, rebooting... [img] And notifications pop up in...