Windows 10: Windows 10 Feature update 1709 keeps failing to install

Discus and support Windows 10 Feature update 1709 keeps failing to install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had similar troubles when upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 but managed to get through it by removing all usb peripherals except keyboard and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kwgagel, Dec 16, 2017.

1. kwgagel Win User

Windows 10 Feature update 1709 keeps failing to install

I had similar troubles when upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 but managed to get through it by removing all usb peripherals except keyboard and mouse.

I recently upgraded my motherboard, ram, cpu and graphics card. I was online with Microsoft for an hour fixing the activation and proving my everything was legitimate.

I have tried the the MediaCreationTool, downloaded and succesfully made the install DVD (no to updates, Windows 10 Home).

The DVD install ran and the update/install failed with this really informative error message:

Windows 10 Feature update 1709 keeps failing to install [​IMG]

When I clicked OK I could see that setup was at 45% done and then it all rolled back.

After the rollback and logging in again the DVD setup gave me a more informative error message.

Since there are no peripherals attached I searched and found the SFC and DISM suggestions. Here is their results:

*Name: upgrade issues.zip Views: 8 Size: 4.25 MBupgrade issues.zip

I'm a bit stumped at this point.

Following Microsofts troubleshooting tips I've found the issue is related to a driver but I'm not sure which one.
    See error code "0xC1900101 - 0x30018" on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...lyze-log-files

How do I figure out which driver is responsible?

:)

kwgagel, Dec 16, 2017

2. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80070032

The update for 1703 worked but 1709 keeps failing : Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80070032. Any suggestions?

RobertMessina, Dec 16, 2017
  3. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80d02002

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80d02002

Update keeps failing

Shuvo ONSide, Dec 16, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Don`t use the MCT to create a dvd installer.

Just download the Iso file, check its size and use this simple program to burn the Iso to DVD, make sure you burn it at the slowest possible speed given by the program, after you insert the blank dvd. (very important, if not you could end up with a corrupt installer)

The 64 Bit Iso of W10 Fall Creators Update is 3,720,192 KB

Free ISO Burner

As far as Activation goes, you are installing W10 on a new MB (new Hardware) so technically you should buy a new key. But they say you can link your Microsoft Account to activate W10.

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Activate Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

AddRAM, Dec 16, 2017
  5. kwgagel Win User
    This isn't a problem with the WCT or the DVD. It's a problem with a driver that is installed. Like I said at the end of the post, how do I figure out which one is causing the problem?

kwgagel, Dec 16, 2017
  6. ThrashZone, Dec 16, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    1) Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

2) Run the DM log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

3) When posting an image of disk management please widen each the volume and status columns so that the contents in each row is not cut off.

4) list all of the malware software products (AV and firewall) that are each always on and used manually.

zbook, Dec 16, 2017
  8. kwgagel Win User

The DM log collector isn't creating a zip file anywhere that I can find. Certainly not on my desktop, so no file to provide. Not sure it really matters as the error is in the upgrade files and not in windows. Windows gets restored after the error so anything that would have been recorded is lost in the overwrite of the restoration.

System details filled out.

Here is the disk management image.

kwgagel, Dec 16, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    There are problems (multiple) with operating system, registry, partition free space, hardware, drivers, firmware, and/or applications that are preventing the upgrade. Collecting these computer files may improve the troubleshooting:

It should collect: msinfo32, dxdiag, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, startup, mini dumps, services, event log files, etc.

This link many enable you to run the DM log collector:
    Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

Run this command: log collector v2.zip

In case it does not collect the logs use this method:

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste this whole command:
    (the file should appear on the desktop > use one drive or drop box to post share links into the thread)

Code: md "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles"&wmic /output:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\hotfix.txt" qfe list full /format:table&copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp"&findstr /v "Owner." "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp" > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.txt"&del "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\drivers.txt"&msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\services.txt"&sc query type= driver state= all > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\driver_status.txt"&sc query type= service state= inactive > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\inactive_services_status.txt"&sc query type= service state= all > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\all_services_status.txt"&REM wmic service list full /format:htable >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\service.html&REM wmic /output:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\nics.html nicconfig list /format:hform[/quote]
    Download and install: Minitool partition wizard
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
    Paste an image into the thread.

If you are planning to change drives you can
    1) make a backup image with Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    2) restore the image onto the new drive
    3) consider switching from MBR to GPT
    4) consider switching from Legacy to UEFI

zbook, Dec 16, 2017
  10. topgundcp Win User
    I am not sure how you get Windows running with a dynamic disk. Windows 10 won't allow installation using Dynamic disk. I guess you converted after Windows Installation.

So, Your problem is you have windows running on a dynamic disk. Convert it back to Basic disk using:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
    In addition, The system reserved partition is 100MB, too small and when trying to upgrade, Windows will try to create an extra Recovery Partition and wouldn't know what to do with Dynamic disk.

After conversion, you might as well increase the System Reserved partition to 550MB (standard for Windows 10.1709)
    before doing upgrade.

topgundcp, Dec 16, 2017
  11. *Ditto

ThrashZone, Dec 16, 2017
  12. kwgagel Win User
    ---snip---
    Well, that didn't work either. But, I did figure out why. I moved my desktop to my D drive. The files were all on the C drive (old) desktop location. I moved my desktop back and I will also move other system libraries back to their default locations. It seems to me I had to do this when I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 as well.
    The log files are located here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4u3mb2rsq...yb4hvxjna?dl=0
    ---snip---

Unfortunately all "features" of mini that I need are paid for only features. It doesn't appear to be free to use anymore.
    I will on all four when my new drive arrives at the end of the month.

kwgagel, Dec 16, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

The logs displayed problems with multiple drivers during the upgrade failures.
    With the plans at the end of the month partition size should no longer be a problem.

Evaluate the reported drivers for temporary or permanent un-installation.
    When it comes time for the upgrade you can temporarily uninstall most non-Microsoft drivers.

These were the drivers where I found problem log entries:

Code: CAddSystemServicesExpander::ExtractImagePath: Service(usbbus) has invalid or missing image path(\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\lgx64bus.sys)[/quote] Code: CAddSystemServicesExpander::ExtractImagePath: Service(UsbDiag) has invalid or missing image path(\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lgx64diag.sys)[/quote] Code: CAddSystemServicesExpander::ExtractImagePath: Service(USBModem) has invalid or missing image path(\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lgx64modem.sys)[/quote] Code: Failed to add driver [\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\lgx64bus.sys][/quote] Code: Failed to add driver [\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lgx64diag.sys][/quote] Code: Failed to add driver [\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lgx64modem.sys][/quote] Code: Failed to add driver [C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\uicciso.dll][/quote] Code: Failed to get version info size for [\??\c:\windows\gdrv.sys]. 0x80070714 File [gdrv.sys] does not have a version resource.[/quote] Code: lgx64modem.sysLGE CDMA USB Modemhttp://www.lg.com/us/support/index.jsplgx64bus.sysLGE CDMA Composite USB Devicehttp://www.lg.com/us/support/index.jsplgx64diag.sysLGE CDMA USB Serial Porthttp://www.lg.com/us/support/index.jspgdrv.sysGigabyte Easy Saver - mobo power utility driverhttp://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_List.aspx[/quote]

zbook, Dec 17, 2017
  14. kwgagel Win User
    Well, thos are from an LG phone I attached to my computer and have since disposed of. I uninstalled everything relating to it, I'm not sure why Windows is complaining about that.

I've reconfigured my partitions today. Now they look like this.

I've also reset C drive to a Basic type partition.

So, all that is left to do is try another run at the upgrade.

kwgagel, Dec 17, 2017
  15. Eagle51 Win User
    Sorry to butt in ... Have you checked Device Manager (View Hidden Devices) to see if anything related to that Lg phone is still there. If you have already, then it appears some drivers got left behind and you can use DriverStore Explorer to remove them - Release DriverStore Explorer v0.8.4.2 · lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer · GitHub

Note: It's a stand alone program. Download & extract, then right click on rapr.exe and run as administrator. Just be careful with it *Smile

Eagle51, Dec 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Feature update 1709 keeps failing to install - Similar Threads - Feature update 1709

2. Windows Feature Update Keeps Failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Feature Update Keeps Failing: I had issues over the last several months of getting the Windows Feature Updates installed on my system. This applies to both the 1903 and 20H2 updates and I receive the following code 0xc1900101 on both updates. I tried to search around for answers and saw one thread...
  3. Windows update 1709 to 1909 fails to install

Windows update 1709 to 1909 fails to install: Hello, A friend of mine wants to play minecraft windows 10 edition, but this is not possible because his windows version does not match the system requirements mentioned on the store page. No problem, just update windows, everything fine. Except, we couldn't update...
  4. All feature update failed, still on 1709

All feature update failed, still on 1709: Okay, time to ask the community.... I really am stuck to Windows 10 1709 x64 Last update was; Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 x64 2019-08C Failed to install on ‎26/‎08/‎2019 - 0x8024200d I always get black screen after login. I know this is a hot topic but...
  5. Windows 10 Feature Update Fails To Install

Windows 10 Feature Update Fails To Install: Is there a way to stop MS from automatically downloading an update ? Several times MS had downloaded "Feature Update Version 1809" then failed during the install. The last time it failed to install with error 0x800700057. It has also failed with error 0x80070002....
  6. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709: Hello all your great peoples. I have a problem with Windows 10 update "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709" After update Windows want to restart and then i get "Windows Boot Manager" screen where i need to choose between "Windows Setup" and "Windows 10" (See...
  7. Feature update windows 10 version 1709

Feature update windows 10 version 1709: It downloads then tries to install but said I need to fix issue first click on fix issue . When i click fix issue it starts over again and when done says can not update? Have done this numerous times and still wont download or install this update. 99104
  8. Windows 10 Feature Update 1709 Install Error - VirtualDrive 10

Windows 10 Feature Update 1709 Install Error - VirtualDrive 10: Windows 10 Feature update 1709 will not install with the error that first I need to uninstall VirtualDrive 10. The problem is I am not aware of having such a programme on my system. I uninstalled all Roxio products and also uninstalled Ashampoo burning studio 16 in case that...
  9. Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709

Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709: I have Windows 10 version 1703 OS Build 15063.726 . The Feature update 1709 says it is downloading on my Laptop, but it hasn't moved from 0% for a full day (10 hours)...any advice would be welcome as I think it should have moved on by now. 99569
  10. How long for feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 install

How long for feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 install: Does anyone know how long it should take for the feature update of Windows 10 version 1709 to prepare to install on a PC? My own installation, courtesy of Windows Update, has taken about 90 minutes and is only 30% prepared to install. Can anyone advise? 95713

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update keeps failing to install

2. windows update keeps failing 1709

3. winodws update 1709 error 0x80070032

4. Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 - Error 0x80070032,
  5. feature update to windows 10 keeps failing