Windows 10: Windows 10 System Files Growing

Discus and support Windows 10 System Files Growing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have searched high and low for an answer to this issue. My Windows 10 System Files size is over 22GB. I'm running on a Toshiba netbook, with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DustinCox, Aug 23, 2017.

1. DustinCox Win User

Windows 10 System Files Growing

I have searched high and low for an answer to this issue. My Windows 10 System Files size is over 22GB. I'm running on a Toshiba netbook, with CompactOS running. What's more odd is that my wife uses an HP netbook. Same specs for both, and hers is also running CompactOS. Her System Files is only about 19.7GB. I cannot figure out why mine is so much larger than hers. I've ran Disk Check as well as CCleaner, and nothing seems to shrink the size. I should also mention that I have removed almost all built in apps, where as she has not.

:)

DustinCox, Aug 23, 2017

2. System and Reserved files keeps growing Windows 10

Hi,

Backup and recovery software or corrupted system files are some of the factors which can take up some space in the system and reserved partition. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Which Windows build version is running on your device? Type
      winver in the search box and press Enter to help you identify the build.
    • Have you made any changes on your device after the recent clean install of
      Windows 10
      ?

Meanwhile, if you have a back and recovery software installed on your device. Temporarily uninstall it and ensure to delete any unnecessary contents, files, or folders. Once you're done, monitor the system and reserved partition and check if space is still
    used up.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Aug 23, 2017
  3. System file keeps growing

My OS is windows 8.1

I've saved all photos and videos on my sd card.

Also,I transferred as many apps as possible to my sd card.

But after some few days my memory gets full and I don't get it because I stopped downloading new apps but rather,I kept deleting old apps I had.Now I'm left with essential apps only.

But I noticed a file labeled "system" in the app "storage sense" that kept on growing no matter wat I did.i even clean temporary files with the "upgrade advisor".now my phone memory is left with less that 100mb and some apps like whatsapp cannot funtion
    properly.switching my apps to sd card makes a difference but its only a matter of time till da memory gets full again .

julietbotokro, Aug 23, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

A difference of 3GB + or - between computers really isn't much. A couple of things I do is press Windows Key + R and type %temp% and press Enter, delete all the files there. A few will not be deleteable. Another thing is to open Internet Options in Control Panel or Settings, type Internet Options in the dialog box and delete the TIFs/Temporary Internet Files [leave the other things on that panel alone].

Berton, Aug 23, 2017
  5. DustinCox Win User
    When 32gb is all you have, 3gb between systems is a lot. And you're completely missing the point. I maintain deleting temp files far more than my wife. Why is one install bigger than another?

DustinCox, Aug 23, 2017
  6. I don't think any one's missing the point: I don't see how it was known that 32GB is all you have up front.
    --- In your case, the 22GB equals about 68.75%
    Does your wife also have only 32GB available?
    --- I know you've said that the specs are the same for each netbook, but I can't assume everything is exactly the same without know more information.
    --- In her case the 19.7GB equals about 63.56% of 32GB if that is what she has.
    I'm not an expert by any means, but the difference between how a Toshiba vs. an HP handle their computer systems probably needs to be taken into account even though the basic specs are the same.
    From the Toshiba's I've seen they have quite a few dashboard utilities available.
    My HP's have HP Support Assistant available if/when I want them.
    I'm interested in the issue you want to address and I don't blame you for wanting to know what's going on as I have questioned similar issues myself over the years. And in searching high and low I imagine there were some expert opinions mentioned.

A thought that just came to my mind is if you haven't done so:
    Compare the size of the WinSxS folders.
    Compare Disk Cleanup for items that can be removed but are not checked to do so.

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 23, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    It isn't clear what you mean by system files. Do you mean Windows directory or are you including page file and so on? 19GB is massive if you mean just compressed windows. It should be less than half that.

Run TreeSize Free and see.

If you look at mine (with compression of Windows folder about 40%) only 7.7GB is allocated for Windows directory and 9.5GB overall. I don't have many programs installed though.

Windows 10 System Files Growing [​IMG]

Assuming you can see what is taking the space then it can be either compressed or deleted.

8. Bree New Member

First, are both systems 32-bit? (or 64-bit?) A 32-bit system is smaller than a 64-bit one, you can't compare the two.

Second, it isn't clear what you define as 'System Files'. I'm assuming you mean the reported used space when you look at the Properties of your System Drive C:

There are a number of things that can use up space without being immediately obvious (or visible). One is 'restore points'. These are stored in the hidden 'System Volume Information' folder on the root of the C: drive. Another would be the Windows update backup files, Windows stores copies of previously installed updates in the Component Store and these can eat up a lot of space.

Both can be cleaned out using Disk Cleanup. Run it and click the 'clean up system files' button. You can delete all but the latest restore point on the 'More options' tab, and the update backups will appear in the list of things you can tick to delete on the 'Disk Cleanup' tab.

The space allowed for restore points can be controlled, all restore points deleted, or you can even turn of restore points completely in the System Protection settings.
    Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

If you are prepared to do without the option of uninstalling previous updates, the Component Store can be shrunk further with DISM's /ResetBase option.
    Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

9. DustinCox Win User
    System Files is a classification in the Storage section of Setting. Whenever you go to Storage, and go the section marked System and Reserved, you get a breakdown of different categories, System Files, Paging, Hibernation and Restore. That's all I have to look at right now. Both computers are set to automatically size the paging system (the default for Windows), and both have Hibernation and Restore deactivated, so those take no space. I have checked, and although my paging files is slightly larger than hers (1.1GB vs. 950MB), I have less programs, so it balances out. I have ran Disk Cleanup, and have never gotten anything except a few MB to clear up. I have also tried CCleaner, and had the same results. As of last night, the folder for downloading updates was empty as well. I cannot figure out what is taking the space. I have heard rumors that Toshiba computers contain some adware that is difficult to remove, but even after viewing all regular and hidden folders, I can't even find where it would be.

DustinCox, Aug 23, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    That folder is only populated while downloading and installing updates. The final destination for storing previous updates is %systemroot%\WinSxS. Due to extensive use of hardlinks in this folder, File Explorer will report a larger size for this folder than the actual physical storage in use. You need to use DISM in an elevated command prompt to get the true size (and see if there's any space you can reclaim).
    Analyze Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

DISM's 'ResetBase' option reclaims the maximum possible space.
    Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

11. DustinCox Win User
    The DISM has worked the best of anything. Cleared up a little over 1GB of space.

DustinCox, Aug 24, 2017
  12. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Aug 24, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

That's where the ResetBase switch is useful, it removes all those previous updates leaving just the latest...

14. You might have already seen this but it interested me
    How to save more disk space with Compact OS on Windows 10
    How to Save More Disk Space with Compact OS on Windows 10
    Although the expert advice that has been provided addresses the following, a couple of my takeaways are:
    “Compact OS frees around 1.5 GB (32-bit systems) or 2.6 GB (64-bit) of hard drive space and kills the recovery partition”
    “After enabling Compact OS, the total installed size of Windows 10 comes out to around 9 GB for the 32-bit version and 11 GB for the 64-bit version”
    --- If you ran it, how did Tree Size turn out?
    It appears to me you have about 10GB of free space available on your computer.
    --- Naturally it would be great to improve on that.
    Since you do not use System Restore, I hope you create System Image backups.

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 24, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    That is a strange article. Compacting Windows certainly doesn't break recovery - why would it? The recovery partition is separate and so is the system partition that invokes it. I also find both 32 and 64 bit installs are much smaller (almost half) what he says and I've tested it a lot.

What he does say in that article (which I find to be true also in my testing) is that compression improves performance. That really is an interesting observation as most people assume compression will make things slower.

Anyway if OP wants to know what is taking the space they need to check what is taking the space. Anything else is just speculation.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 System Files Growing - Similar Threads - System Files Growing

2. System files is growing my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System files is growing my laptop: Since the recent windows update, I have saying that 13.5GB of system files is increasing on my Lenovo V14-IWL laptop only in the 222 SSD part in C: drive following the recent update. Could we fix this problem because of this increasement ? Thank you for the suggestion....
  3. System files is growing my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System files is growing my laptop: Since the recent windows update, I have saying that 13.5GB of system files is increasing on my Lenovo V14-IWL laptop only in the 222 SSD part in C: drive following the recent update. Could we fix this problem because of this increasement ? Thank you for the suggestion....
  4. System Restore Point Keeps Growing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Point Keeps Growing: Hi to all. I posted this question quite a while back and never really got a clear answer as I recall. My SSD is 256GB. It contains the operating system and all of my files. Not even half of the drive is being used. My question is more of interest rather than causing a...
  5. System Files Grow in size when I download something

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Files Grow in size when I download something: My laptop has 256gb of ssd storage. My main partition 'C:Windows' has 215gb available. When observing storage it says that windows' system files take up 47.8 gb and that system and reserved takes up 65.3 as a whole. Already this is a lot compared to the size of storage I have...
  6. growing file

growing file: I have a file that grows to take up most of the room on my hard drive. when ever I delete or move files to a different drive the file grows to fill the spaces. I searched for the file but it does not show....
  7. WaasMedic file keeps growing

WaasMedic file keeps growing: Simple question: Why is my WAASMEDIC file growing every single time I log on to my computer? It started out in the KB realm, but has now reached 5.93 MB. I know this isn't a huge bite of space, but if it keeps growing at this pace, then it will be soon. Anyone?...
  8. System and Reserved Keeps Growing.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System and Reserved Keeps Growing.: Hi, So I'm posting here because I have yet to find a thread with an actual solution to this problem online. I've seen other folks ask about this question, and so far, no real solutions. My concern is that the system and reserved folder on windows 10 seems to grow at an...
  9. System folder growing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System folder growing: Hello, Last night before shutting down the computer, system folder C: size was 27.8 GB. Today, about an hour after starting computer, it grew up to 30 GB.! There were no any updates. Checked which files \ folders modified \ created today, there were no findings. I ran...
  10. System folder is "growing"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System folder is "growing": Hello,Have some questions about update / upgrade windows 10, and other items.1. It is recomended ("PSA: Create Backup Reinstall Media for Your Current Version of Windows 10 Before Upgrading to Windows 10 Creators Update") to make a backup reinstal media by creating a recovery...