Windows 10: Windows Icon List Sometimes Doesn't Work or Many Programs Labeled 'New

Discus and support Windows Icon List Sometimes Doesn't Work or Many Programs Labeled 'New in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Dell Laptop recently had two hard drive "errors". These have been taken care of/repaired per system msgs. I also ran chkdisk /f. Didn't get any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GarCooper, Feb 5, 2018.

1. GarCooper Win User

Windows Icon List Sometimes Doesn't Work or Many Programs Labeled 'New

My Dell Laptop recently had two hard drive "errors". These have been taken care of/repaired per system msgs. I also ran chkdisk /f. Didn't get any msgs.

I posted about this last week and got some guidance but have some continuing problems. Sometimes when I look at the list you get when you click the Windows icon, the list looks normal but if I click say Windows Accessories, I don't get a list of them, and the Icon list disappears. Other times all the Windows Programs and quite few others in the Icon list are labeled 'New'. When I click on a 'New" item it gives the expected response.

Also, over half the items in my Start list screen have disappeared.

What is causing this strange, very inconvenient behavior? What can be done?

:)

GarCooper, Feb 5, 2018
  2. cal680 Win User

Vanishing icon on desktop

The label for the icon Is still there, but the icon itself vanished. If I put the curser above the label I can see an outline where the icon was. If I click on that spot, the program starts. This is another Windows 10 surprise moment? An hour ago it was
    fine, this just all of a sudden happened. No new programs installed, nothing deleted.

cal680, Feb 5, 2018
  3. Eriktww Win User
    2015 AUGUST - Windows 10 font blurry in older applications

I use this, works with me!

• Note down which specific programs have the font problem.
    • Right-click on the program icon (not the shortcut) and choose properties.
    • Click the "Compatibility" tab.
    • Check the box labeled "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".
    • Restart the program.
    • Repeat for each affected program.

Windows 10 Font blurry 125% scaling

Eriktww, Feb 5, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, are you running Win 7 or 10? If 10, please complete and update your specs (see mine for comparison - a tutorial on that is available if you need it).

If Win 7, please try the Win 7 forum. Thanks. Windows 7 Help Forums

Suggest you go back a step and run the following so we can see better what might be happening.

Please run the following integrity checks:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI. It gives a very clear indication of the state of your disk.
    If OK: From an admin command prompt run
    chkdsk c: /scan
    and post a screenshot of the result.
    If OK: From that prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post a screenshot of the result.

To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon

dalchina, Feb 5, 2018
  5. GarCooper Win User
    OK, I've put in the specs for this laptop (the problem system).

I'll run the suggested checks and get back to you.

Thanks.

Gar Cooper

GarCooper, Feb 5, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 5, 2018
  7. GarCooper Win User
    The scans (attached) all seem OK. The Sentinel screen came up almost instantly. I don't feel like it had time to actually do any checking of the disk. I played with it but kept getting the same results.

The Windows Icon list seems OK this morning. The 'new' labels are gone. However,
    that problem has come and gone a couple of times.

Thanks for the tutorials on Start Menu problems. I'll work on that.

Can we keep this thread open for a few days till I see how things go?

Thanks.

Windows Icon List Sometimes Doesn't Work or Many Programs Labeled 'New [​IMG]

Windows Icon List Sometimes Doesn't Work or Many Programs Labeled 'New [​IMG]

GarCooper, Feb 5, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Those are all great results. Given your comment originally about your disk it seemed wise to do that.

HDD Sentinel looks at the SMART parameters and gives a report. That's quick. It can do more e.g. from the Disk tab, but not needed here I think.

If the problem recurs, try the tutorials, then if that doesn't help, try creating a new user for test purposes and see if you see the problem logged in as that user. If not, time to start thinking about 3rd party programs, e.g. a clean boot.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Icon List Sometimes Doesn't Work or Many Programs Labeled 'New - Similar Threads - Icon List Sometimes

2. Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't: Sometimes bluetooth stop working. And i have to restart the pc many times but still it doesn't work. I also tried to install bluetooth driver but things didn't work out....
  3. Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't: Sometimes bluetooth stop working. And i have to restart the pc many times but still it doesn't work. I also tried to install bluetooth driver but things didn't work out....
  4. Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Sound sometimes doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound sometimes doesn't work.: Hi, Sometimes I've got no audio through my speakers. The fix is always to restart the computer, and it works. But about half the time I startup, I've got no sound and need to keep restarting until I've got audio. The drivers seem good, the connection is fine....
  6. Touchpad Doesn't work sometimes

Touchpad Doesn't work sometimes: Hi, Lately i ve been facing an issue with my touchpad. When i turn on the laptop the touchpad doesn't works, when i check in Device manager under synaptics driver it says it is not present. But when i restart my laptop for times it starts working. And sometimes it stops...
  7. Bluetooth sometimes works and sometimes doesn't on startup

Bluetooth sometimes works and sometimes doesn't on startup: Hi, my bluetooth has been acting very weird. When bluetooth works, it shows up in the notification bar and as expected, it works when paired. But when it doesn't, it disappears from the bar and I have no way to turn it back on unless if i probably do a restart. I have tried...
  8. Many programs stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Many programs stopped working: After restarting my PC yesterday many of programs stopped working Powershell: [ATTACH] Internal Windows PowerShell error. Loading managed Windows PowerShell failed with error 80090017. Windows Update [ATTACH] 0x80004003 SFC /scannow [ATTACH] Windows Resource...
  9. Picture Application sometimes works , sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Picture Application sometimes works , sometimes doesn't: Hi sometimes when I open an image (.jpg or .png) with the picture application I either got : Picture application open but doesn't show the image (white picture) Picture application doesn't open and 10 sec/15 sec after windows say "the application has not started within the...
  10. Icon labels

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon labels: I want to set ALL icon labels (including desktop icon labels) to a larger size and bold. How is this done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-labels/c82b5ade-b36c-4c52-9fb6-7c23f9cf22ae