Windows 10: Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

Discus and support Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" from Power Options in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by bobsagetfullhou, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

How to: Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

How to Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" from Power Options in Windows

The Power Options allows users to configure the link power management mode for disk and storage devices that are attached to the system through an AHCI interface. AHCI Link Power Management is a technique where the SATA AHCI controller puts the SATA link to the internal HDD and/or SSD disk into a very low power mode when there.

You can use the following settings:

[table][tr][td]Setting[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Active[/td] [td]Neither HIPM or DIPM allowed. Link power management is not used.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]HIPM[/td] [td]HIPM (Host Initiated Link Power Management) only is allowed[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]HIPM + DIPM[/td] [td]HIPM and DIPM are allowed[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]DIPM[/td] [td]DIPM (Device Initiated Link Power Management) only is allowed[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Lowest[/td] [td]HIPM, DIPM, and DEVSLP (if DEVSLP is supported by the storage device) are allowed.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM setting under Hard disk in Power Options for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

Contents
    • Option One: Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" in Power Options

Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_DISK 0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60 -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_DISK 0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60 +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3 You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" in Power Options using REG file
    The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1 Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2 To Add "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" to Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_AHCI_Link_Power_Management-HIPM-DIPM_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3 To Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" from Power Options
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_AHCI_Link_Power_Management-HIPM-DIPM_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Jul 26, 2017
  2. zhk_ms Win User

Event ID 129 - storahci resetting raidport0

First of all we need to change "AHCI Link Power Management" which is a hidden setting on power management. Open up registry editor and change the following settings.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60

Change attributes from 1 to 2

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\dab60367-53fe-4fbc-825e-521d069d2456

And again change Attributes from 1 to 2.

Now go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options click on "Change Plan Settings" and then click on "Change
    advanced Power settings".

Now under "Hard disk" you should have AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM and AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive options.

Change "AHCI Link power management" To active, which means there is no power management for AHCI and finally change Adaptive to 0 milliseconds (Although if you enabled "active" this option has no effect).

Finally under "PCI Express" Change "Link State Power management" to OFF.

Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows [​IMG]

zhk_ms, Jul 26, 2017
  3. KB3194798 installs fine but computer becomes unusable

Reverting the Intel HD driver to that of Microsoft did not solve the problem !!

PC unusable.

UPDATE : Finally I found a workaround, thanks to a forum I unfortunately lost track of.

Microsoft, please tell me how to just configure my PC right, as this seems a workaround a bug !!.

"" extract from some blog that made my PC run again with unknown consequences (many thanks again to the author) :

First of all we need to change "AHCI Link Power Management" which is a hidden setting on power management. Open up registry editor and change the following settings.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60

Change attributes from 1 to 2

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\dab60367-53fe-4fbc-825e-521d069d2456

And again change Attributes from 1 to 2.

Now go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options click on "Change Plan Settings" and then click on "Change advanced Power settings".

Now under "Hard disk" you should have AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM and AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive options.

Change "AHCI Link power management" To active, which means there is no power management for AHCI and finally change Adaptive to 0 milliseconds (Although if you enabled "active" this option has no effect).

Finally under "PCI Express" Change "Link State Power management" to OFF.

""

Microsoft, please tell us how to go back to standard parameters.

Didier

DidierMithouard, Jul 26, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

Hey Bob, *Smile

If you have any issues, you can always set it back to its default setting.

Brink, Jul 26, 2017
  5. brummyfan Win User
    Hi Shawn,
    Thanks a lot for this nice tutorial and the reg files, great help *Thumbs

brummyfan, Nov 5, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad it could help mate. *Smile

Brink, Nov 5, 2017
  7. Hey Bob, did this fix your errors? I'm experiencing the same issue and have a lot of important data saved on this drive that I am unable to backup at this point in time.

Thanks

InfiniteSpace, Jan 26, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help Maleko. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  9. maleko48 Win User
    Thank you for this!

I was able to significantly reduce my laptop's power consumption by setting my AHCI SSDs to "Lowest" mode which finally allowed my Intel i7 7700HQ to enter package sleep states deeper than C2. (It was set to "HIPM" by default.)

Before, when it could not go deeper than C2 my CPU idle power consumption was 2.0 - 3.0W watts. Now that the package can go up to C7 it idles around 0.3 - 0.4W.

*Smile

maleko48, Apr 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows - Similar Threads - Add AHCI Link

2. RST link power management like AHCI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RST link power management like AHCI?: Is there a hidden option to setup link power management on RST controller?Just change AHCI to active and PCIe to OFF but my secondary disk ROG ASUS STRIX SCAR 15 laptop keeps hanging randomly for seconds when I play from that disk.I have 2 nvme disks and they work fine but...
  3. RST link power management like AHCI?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RST link power management like AHCI?: Is there a hidden option to setup link power management on RST controller?Just change AHCI to active and PCIe to OFF but my secondary disk ROG ASUS STRIX SCAR 15 laptop keeps hanging randomly for seconds when I play from that disk.I have 2 nvme disks and they work fine but...
  4. What the HIPM/DIPM modes means in AHCI link power management settings that in the power...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What the HIPM/DIPM modes means in AHCI link power management settings that in the power...: In the power options, There is the hard disk option which inside of it there is the AHCI Link power management option. and there is 5 options of it in both "on battery" or "on plugged in" : 1.Active2.HIPM3.HIPM+DIPM4.DIPM5.Lowest- I'm just wondering for what that options...
  5. What the HIPM/DIPM modes means in AHCI link power management settings that in the power...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What the HIPM/DIPM modes means in AHCI link power management settings that in the power...: In the power options, There is the hard disk option which inside of it there is the AHCI Link power management option. and there is 5 options of it in both "on battery" or "on plugged in" : 1.Active2.HIPM3.HIPM+DIPM4.DIPM5.Lowest- I'm just wondering for what that options...
  6. What the HIPM/DIPM modes means in AHCI link power management settings that in the power...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Add AHCI Link Power Management

in Windows 10 Support
    Add AHCI Link Power Management: Add ACCI Link Power Management 175408
  8. Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" from Power Options in Windows The USB 3 Link Power Management setting in Power Options allows users to specify the power management policy to use for...
  9. Add AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to configure the link power management mode for disk and storage...
  10. Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10: How to: Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Link State Power Management' from Power Options in Windows 10 Power Options that allows users to specify the Active State Power Management (ASPM) policy to use for capable...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ahci link power management in windows 10