Windows 10: Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows

Discus and support Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove 'Turn off hard disk after' from Power Options in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows

How to: Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows

How to Add or Remove 'Turn off hard disk after' from Power Options in Windows 10

The NVMe.

Having your HDDs automatically turned off after being idle can help save energy and extend a PC's battery life.

When you or anything tries to access a HDD that has been turned off, there will be a delay of a few seconds as the HDD automatically spins back up and is turned back on before being able to access it.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Turn off hard disk after setting under Hard disk in Power Options for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Turn off hard disk after" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Turn off hard disk after" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Turn off hard disk after" in Power Options

Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "Turn off hard disk after" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_DISK 6738e2c4-e8a5-4a42-b16a-e040e769756e -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_DISK 6738e2c4-e8a5-4a42-b16a-e040e769756e +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "Turn off hard disk after" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloaded .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\6738e2c4-e8a5-4a42-b16a-e040e769756e

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Turn off hard disk after" to Power Options
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Turn_off_hard_disk_after_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Turn off hard disk after" from Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Turn_off_hard_disk_after_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 5, 2016
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Remove spare hard disk as system disk

Thank you for your reply.

There's a possibility that your HDD was detected as OS drive during the Windows installation. To remove your HDD as system disk, we suggest reformatting it. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Open Disk Management.
    • Right-click on your HDD, then select Format.
    • On the Format windows, type your preferred Volume label,
      File system (NTFS is recommended)
      , Allocation unit size (leave as Default).
    • Check the Perform a quick format option, then click
      OK

Note: Please back up your files before reformatting the drive.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Oct 26, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Power options - SSD settings

• Go to Control Panel - Power Options
    • Select your current Power Plan and click 'Change Plan Settings'
    • Click 'Change Advanced Plan Settings
    • The top setting - Hard Drive - 'Turn off hard disk after'
    • Set both battery and plugged in to 0 (this is never stop!)

DaveM121, Oct 26, 2019
  4. mrclose Win User

Turning Off Hard Disk

If I set my power options to:
    Turn off Hard Disk
    (after x amount of minutes)

Turn off Moniter
    (also after so many minutes)

What is the difference between that and setting the pc to sleep mode?

I ask because a number of times, coming out of sleep ... it doesn't!

The HD will click and then nothing!
    Takes a hard shutdown and reboot to get running again!

Believe me, I've done every work-a-round, (for the last six months) and tried every suggestion in trying to fix this headache and nothing has worked!

Searching, this appears to be a problem with Windows 10 that a lot of folks have been having.
    Some have solved the problem while others have not.

Seems that no one solution is a fix for everyone.

I've disabled hybrid and hibernate using only sleep.
    Re-enabled hibernate with sleep disabled ... but the problem still exists!

And yes, I've run every chk disk and troubleshooter that I can find and ... nothing!

I figure that allowing the disk to go into idle and having the monitor shut down is the only step that I have left?

My concern is .. I don't want to shut down the pc every time I have something else that I need to do but ... I also don't want to risk something like a cooling fan going bad and my hard disk burning up when I'm not around!

Thanks in advance everyone!!

This is a snapshot of my system ...

Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows SYSTEM-SPECS.jpg

mrclose, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Eric Ber Win User
    Hard disk won't stay alive

Hi,

Conflicts with the power options is one of the possible reasons why your hard disk shuts down every five minutes. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which Version and OS Build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Is this an internal hard disk or an external hard disk?

Meanwhile, you can try to use the Power troubleshooter to resolve the issue. Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with the Power options. You can follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control
      panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

We are looking forward to your response.

Eric Ber, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Jelo Sen Win User
    Computer hangs (crashes) after automatically turning off monitors

We appreciate your response. Our next step is to make sure that Turn off hard disk option is set to Never by following the steps below:

• Go to Power Options again> Click Change Plan Settings.
    • Choose Change Advanced Settings > Expand Hard disk.
    • Expand Turn Off hard disk after > Set to
      Never

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows - Similar Threads - Add Remove Turn

2. How to disable "Turn off hard disk" in power options?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to disable "Turn off hard disk" in power options?: My laptop has a problem where after it goes to sleep it can't be turned on again. I suspect my SSD (Samsung 850 Evo) can't wake up from sleep if it's turned off.. I went to power options and saw the following: [img] Is there a way to disable this? I think this is why I...
  3. Turning Off Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turning Off Hard Disk: If I set my power options to: Turn off Hard Disk (after x amount of minutes) Turn off Moniter (also after so many minutes) What is the difference between that and setting the pc to sleep mode? I ask because a number of times, coming out of sleep ... it doesn't! The HD...
  4. Turn Off Hard Disk After not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn Off Hard Disk After not working.: I have a portable USB hdd that is not powering down at idle, a few days ago it was working so not sure what's happened. For testing purposes I have set the Turn Off Hard Disk After to 1 minute. I have tried different USB ports as well. 85377
  5. Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Hibernate after" from Power Options in Windows The hibernating. *note If you disable hibernate, the Hibernate after setting in Power Options will not be available. This...
  6. Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Sleep after" from Power Options in Windows The sleep. This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Sleep after setting under Sleep in Power Options for all users in Windows 7,...
  7. Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Dim display after" from Power Options in Windows The Dim display after setting in Power Options allows users to specify how long in minutes your computer is inactive before the...
  8. Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Power button action" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed....
  9. Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Hard disk burst ignore time" from Power Options in Windows Having your HDDs automatically turned off after being idle can help save energy and extend a PC's battery life. The...
  10. Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' from Power Options in Windows The Power Options let's users specify how long the PC is inactive before all connected displays are turned off...