Windows 10: Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options

Discus and support Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options How to Add or Remove "Maximum processor frequency" from Power Options in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options

How to: Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options

How to Add or Remove "Maximum processor frequency" from Power Options in Windows 10

Processor frequency specifies the operating frequency of the CPU's core(s) in MHz. The higher the frequency is for a CPU, the faster the processor is.

You can specify the approximate maximum frequency (in MHz) of your processor from within Windows 10 to limit the frequency if needed. For example, to save energy or the CPU is running too hot at a higher frequency. By default, the maximum processor frequency is set to 0 for unlimited allowing the processor to run as high as what is capable of.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Maximum processor frequency setting under Processor power management in Power Options for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Maximum Processor Frequency" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Maximum Processor Frequency" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Maximum processor frequency" in Power Options

Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "Maximum Processor Frequency" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "Maximum Processor Frequency" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloaded .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Maximum processor frequency" to Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Maximum_processor_frequency_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Maximum processor frequency" from Power Options
    *note This is the default setting if supported by your processor.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Maximum_processor_frequency_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 14, 2015
  2. Cliff S Win User
    Cliff S, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options

Shawn Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. hoyolam Win User
    hoyolam, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options

1. Add or Remove Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 Power Options - Similar Threads - Add Remove Maximum

2. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0": My laptop is a Lenovo X1 Carbon G10. I am trying to stop the fans from coming on frequently and cool the laptop down altogether. I have already:Set system cooling to PassiveSet maximum processor state to 50%Enabled Maximum processor frequency - here I am running into a...
  3. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0": My laptop is a Lenovo X1 Carbon G10. I am trying to stop the fans from coming on frequently and cool the laptop down altogether. I have already:Set system cooling to PassiveSet maximum processor state to 50%Enabled Maximum processor frequency - here I am running into a...
  4. Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system

Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system: As you can see, maximum processor frequency won't work in my system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-processor-frequency-is-ignored-by-my/26801648-332f-4b43-ac9c-94a070bd5682
  5. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly: Hi as described here I turned on maximum processor frequency in power options in Windows and set the max to 4 GHz; my CPU maxes out at ~4.8 GHz. If I resume from standby with the option enabled my CPU will throttle properly for a half minute or so then it will drop down from...
  6. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly

Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly: Hi as described here I turned on maximum processor frequency in power options in Windows and set the max to 4 GHz; my CPU maxes out at ~4.8 GHz. If I resume from standby with the option enabled my CPU will throttle properly for a half minute or so then it will drop down from...
  7. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited: Windows 10 Pro 1803. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited, although the "High performance" power plan is included and there are no limits. Sometimes when I change power plan and reboot PC, the limiter is remove, but not for long time.[ATTACH]...
  9. Add or Remove Maximum processor state from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Maximum processor state from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Maximum processor state from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Maximum processor state" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to specify the maximum percentage of processor capabilities to use. Lower percentage...
  10. Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10: How to: Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 [img] Information Processor frequency specifies the operating frequency of the CPU's core(s) in MHz. The higher the frequency is for a CPU, the faster the processor is. You can specify the approximate maximum...