Windows 10: Am trying to unlock a remotely locked device

Discus and support Am trying to unlock a remotely locked device in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My mother - lives on the west coast and I am on the east coast - accidentally remotely locked her computer. Now it indicates that it requires an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Edna Meyers, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Am trying to unlock a remotely locked device

My mother - lives on the west coast and I am on the east coast - accidentally remotely locked her computer. Now it indicates that it requires an administrator to logon first to unlock it. However, despite resetting the Microsoft account password multiple times, etc. she can't get into her computer. I can remotely lock the computer -- can see it on the list of devices -- but can't unlock it. She is elderly, not that computer savvy, and has limited access to any transportation that could take her to Best Buy or some other professional help. Am trying to help via phone and cell phone... but have not been able to help her get into her computer.

:)

Edna Meyers, Oct 16, 2019
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Remotely locked my windows 10 laptop, now I cant unlock it

I just locked my laptop remotely. Then my laptop unlocked normally with Windows Hello facial recognition. No change of password required.

@glassyjuice,

Looks like the only way you are going to unlock your laptop is to connect it to the internet and enter your correct Microsoft Account username and password which needs to be an administrator account on the laptop.

NavyLCDR, Oct 16, 2019
  3. Remotely Lock Windows 10 Device with Find My Device  

How to Remotely Lock Windows 10 Device with Find My Device

If your desktop, laptop, tablet, or Surface is lost or stolen, use the Find my device feature to locate and lock it remotely.

Find my device uses your devices location data to help you find your device if you lose it. Find my device allows an administrator of a Windows portable device, such as a laptop or tablet, to identify the location of that device from account.microsoft.com/devices. To use this feature, the administrator needs to turn on the location setting for the device and sign in to Windows through a Microsoft account. This feature will work for the administrator even if other users have denied access to location for all their apps. When the administrator tries to locate the device, users will see a notification in the notification area on the taskbar.

If you locate your device and want to prevent anyone from using it or seeing your files, you can lock it remotely.

When you remotely lock your Windows 10 Device, it will sign out any active users and disable local users. Administrators with permissions will still have access to sign in to and unlock the device, but unauthorized access will be blocked. Your device will be locked and location tracking services will be enabled. The lock screen will show a message you created. You will get emails for device update sent to your Microsoft account email address.

Requirements to remotely lock a Windows 10 device:
    • You must be running Windows 10 and be signed in to the lost device through a administrator. If you're using a work or school account, Find my device won't work.
    • To send its location, your device must be connected to the Internet, have enough battery power, and use GPS.
    This tutorial will show you how to remotely lock your Windows 10 computer online using the Find my device Microsoft service.

EXAMPLE: Remotely locked Windows 10 device

Am trying to unlock a remotely locked device [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Go to the account.microsoft.com/devices website at Microsoft, and sign in with your Microsoft account that you also use to sign in to the Windows 10 device you want to remotely lock.

2. Click/tap on the Show details or Manage link of the Windows 10 device you want to remotely lock. (see screenshots below)

3. Click/tap on the Find my device link for the device. (see screenshot below)

*note If Find my device is currently turned off for this device, this will turn it on for the device if online.

5. If location for this device is currently turned off, then click/tap on the Enable location link to turn on location for this device if online. (see screenshot below)

6. If your device is located on the map, click/tap on the Lock button. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

8. Type a message you want to show on the lock screen of the device you want to remotely lock, and click/tap on Lock. (see screenshot below)

9. When your device has been remotely locked, click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*note Anyone who finds your locked device can't sign in unless they're an administrator for a Microsoft account already on the device.

*Warning If needed, you can click/tap on Reset password before clicking on OK and follow the instructions to reset your password for added security.

10. You will receive an email from Microsoft, and the map in the Microsoft Dashboard will indicate that your Windows 10 device has been locked. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 16, 2019
  4. Am trying to unlock a remotely locked device

Memory card locked after remote lock

Try changing the remote locking code to a code with less than 8 digit. Then remote lock the phone again.

Unlock the the phone then try the new lock code on the memory card.

Remember the remote lock code and password is case sensitive.

psychomania---01, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Am trying to unlock a remotely locked device

1. Am trying to unlock a remotely locked device - Similar Threads - trying unlock remotely

2. unlock windows 11 device after remotely locking it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unlock windows 11 device after remotely locking it: HelloI lost my device so locked it remotely via the find my device app.It is a windows 11 surface pro.I found my device but now cannot unlock it to sign in. It doesn't accept my PIN, windows hello or otherwise. In safe mode it also requires a pin.How can I unlock my...
  3. unlock windows 11 device after remotely locking it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unlock windows 11 device after remotely locking it: HelloI lost my device so locked it remotely via the find my device app.It is a windows 11 surface pro.I found my device but now cannot unlock it to sign in. It doesn't accept my PIN, windows hello or otherwise. In safe mode it also requires a pin.How can I unlock my...
  4. Remote device lock and unlock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote device lock and unlock: I locked my laptop remotely from Microsoft account website through my desktop because I did not recognize it at first. The laptop now only shows a remote administrator message when I attempt to log in and does not allow any input. Just the default windows login screen, my...
  5. Remote device lock and unlock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote device lock and unlock: I locked my laptop remotely from Microsoft account website through my desktop because I did not recognize it at first. The laptop now only shows a remote administrator message when I attempt to log in and does not allow any input. Just the default windows login screen, my...
  6. Remote device lock and unlock

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. how to unlock a device remotely

how to unlock a device remotely: hi - my son's computer was locked remotely under microsoft account devices, how do you unlock it?thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-a-device-remotely/72bdde5e-2ce0-4d58-bf45-daa546e10e11
  8. unlock remotely locked laptop

unlock remotely locked laptop: How do I unlock a laptop that I have remotely locked? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unlock-remotely-locked-laptop/810ed05d-edd3-4897-b4f2-166d68fa1bc7
  9. Unlock device after remotely locked

Unlock device after remotely locked: Hi There, I am wondering what is the step to do to unlock a Surface Book device that I have locked it remotely? Is the other user can still sign in after I lock it remotely? I have it with my staff right now, but I need to lock it since his contract is over before he could...
  10. Unlock windows 10 device after remote lock

Unlock windows 10 device after remote lock: I had lost a windows 10 pro computer surface book 2 , and used the capabilities on the microsoft website to lock the device. Later, I was able to get the computer back. When I go to the computer, it's giving me the message I'd set on the MS web site. All good. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unlock the device after locking remotely in Microsoft website