Windows 10: Lock Computer in Windows 10

Discus and support Lock Computer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Lock Computer in Windows 10 How to Lock the Computer in Windows 10 [img] Information Locking your PC protects it from unauthorized use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by wiil, Feb 9, 2016.

1. wiil Win User

Lock Computer in Windows 10

How to: Lock Computer in Windows 10

How to Lock the Computer in Windows 10

Lock Computer in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Locking your PC protects it from unauthorized use when you need to step away from the PC, and don't want to shut down.

When you lock the computer, you will be taken to the lock screen by default to unlock and sign in when ready to continue where you left off. Other users can still sign in to their accounts from the sign-in screen.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to lock your local Windows 10 PC.

Note If you disable the lock screen, you will be taken to the sign-in screen when you lock the computer instead of the lock screen.

If you have Secure sign-in enabled, users will be required to press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys on the lock screen to unlock it and sign in.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Lock screen

OPTION ONE [/i] To Lock Computer using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Win+L keys.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Lock Computer from Account Picture Menu on Start Menu
    1. Open the *Start Start menu, click/tap on your user name (ex: Shawn Brink) to open the account picture menu, and click/tap on Lock. (see screenshots below)

Note If you have full-screen Start turned on, then you will need to first click/tap on the
    menu button at the top left corner of Start.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Lock Computer from Ctrl+Alt+Del Screen
    1. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys, and click/tap on Lock. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Lock Computer from Task Manager
    1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Click/tap on the Users tab, right click or press and hold on your account, and click/tap on Disconnect. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Disconnect user to confirm. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Lock Computer by Running a Command
    1. Run the command below from Run, command prompt, new shortcut, or how you like.

*Arrow rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

OPTION SIX [/i] To Lock Computer using Cortana Voice Command

Note Starting with Hey Cortana voice command to lock the computer.

In addition, you can also ask Cortana to execute this command on the Lock screen, but first you should enable Cortana on the Lock screen if you have not done so already.

1. Using Hey Cortana, use the voice command below.
    *Arrow "Hey Cortana, lock my computer."
    2. Cortana may ask you for a verbal confirmation. You’ll have to respond to Cortana with a "Yes" for Cortana to complete the voice command.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

wiil, Feb 9, 2016

2. Lock Screen on timeout Windows 10

Way to Lock computer in Screen Saver Settings.

Step 1: Type lock computer in the search box on taskbar and choose Lock the computer when I leave it alone for a period of time.

Step 2: In the Screen Saver Settings dialog, choose On resume, display logon screen and hit OK.

ChavaliSastry, Feb 9, 2016
  3. Windows 10 update version 1709

I got an auto update to version 1709 and my computer locks up after 10 minutes. No matter what I do windows continue to locks up after 10 minutes. I uninstall the update to previous version but then update tells me my computer needs to update for latest
    security. I let the update proceed but again after installed the computer will lock up after 10 minutes running.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate]

WayneRowland1, Feb 9, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello wiil, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm afraid that I'm not aware of a way to add "Lock" to the ALT+F4 Shut Down Windows dialog.

Brink, Feb 9, 2016
  5. Exsosus Win User
    Hi Will!

A quick answer to your query is this workaround: Press Windowsflag key + L and viola! Problem solved.

Exsosus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lock Computer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Lock Computer

2. In-Place Upgrade has me locked out of my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In-Place Upgrade has me locked out of my computer: For the last two weeks windows 11 has been crashing my apps and causing errors. I did all the steps I could to keep my computer running. All my updates are installed for windows and my laptop hardware, all my drivers are up to date, and I repaired and reinstalled all my apps....
  3. In-Place Upgrade has me locked out of my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In-Place Upgrade has me locked out of my computer: For the last two weeks windows 11 has been crashing my apps and causing errors. I did all the steps I could to keep my computer running. All my updates are installed for windows and my laptop hardware, all my drivers are up to date, and I repaired and reinstalled all my apps....
  4. My computer is locked up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is locked up.: Warning on laptop. Computer locked up and a number provided to call in us.Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-locked-up/e3c37184-2c5c-4777-8c7b-99ceff46e507
  5. My computer is locked up.

My computer is locked up.: Warning on laptop. Computer locked up and a number provided to call in us.Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-locked-up/e3c37184-2c5c-4777-8c7b-99ceff46e507
  6. My computer is locked by the defender

My computer is locked by the defender: I need help to unlock my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-locked-by-the-defender/aa9c7568-1598-4695-b59a-ff8bc61c85c3
  7. My computer is locked by the defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is locked by the defender: I need help to unlock my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-locked-by-the-defender/aa9c7568-1598-4695-b59a-ff8bc61c85c3
  8. Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....: Hello, I just installed microsoft on my pc. Somehow, family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer. It says 'This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time'. I just want to access my computer for work related...
  9. Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....

Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....: Hello, I just installed microsoft on my pc. Somehow, family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer. It says 'This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time'. I just want to access my computer for work related...
  10. Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....

in User Accounts and Family Safety