Windows 10: Another option for those with search bar issues

Discus and support Another option for those with search bar issues in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I saw some people had problems with the search bar after the most recent update, and my husband and I personally had problems pressing some of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nootnootz2, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Another option for those with search bar issues

I saw some people had problems with the search bar after the most recent update, and my husband and I personally had problems pressing some of the buttons in Settings.

When we tried to Google it, most of the usual solutions (Powershell, etc) didn't work.

Finally we tried openinh command prompt and typed "sfc /scannow" and pressed enter. The windows programs open slow, but are at least working properly; the search bar is letting me type again.

Hopefully if the other solutions aren't working, this will help.

Link: Fix Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working - Make Tech Easier https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-windows-10-start-menu-search/

submitted by /u/nootnootz2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nootnootz2, Oct 29, 2019

2. Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings

How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

As you type in the address bar of Microsoft Edge, search suggestions appear in the address bar drop-down list by default.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable search suggestions in the Address bar of Microsoft Edge for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge enabled and disabled

Another option for those with search bar issues [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    1. Open Microsoft Edge.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button (3 dots), and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Privacy & security on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Show search and site suggestions as a I type for what you want under Privacy on the right side. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

Code:
    ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want.

2. To Turn On Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

3. To Turn Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option FOUR below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure search suggestions in Address bar policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (not configured), step 6 (disable), step 7 (enable) below for what you want.

5. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Always Enable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

9. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION FOUR
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\SearchScopes

ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

delete = Not Configured (default)
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (not configured), step 3 (disable), step 4 (enable) below for what you want.

2. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_Not_configured_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

3. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

4. To Always Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users

Always_enable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Setting for Cortana, Device Search History, and Search Online & Include Web Results

Hello Simmons,

A quick question before proceed:

Are you referring to hide search bar option?

If yes, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Right click on the search bar.

• Select search option.

• Now click on the hidden option.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Another option for those with search bar issues

Search option is not working properly in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Are you referring to Magnifier in windows?

• Are you facing issues with Magnifier or Search bar?

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Restart the Service and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Services.msc In the search box.

• Select Windows Search.

• Restart the services and set the service as Automatic.
    Step 2: Run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing
      troubleshooter.

Reply with necessary information so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Another option for those with search bar issues

1. Another option for those with search bar issues - Similar Threads - Another option those

2. Can't select an option on the search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't select an option on the search bar: Hello,Something odd have appeared on my laptop.When I'm searching for something that can be launched with different option you should be able to select that option by navigating with the right arrow key.In my case that navigation doesn't work. I can still navigate up and down...
  3. Can't select an option on the search bar

in Cortana
    Can't select an option on the search bar: Hello,Something odd have appeared on my laptop.When I'm searching for something that can be launched with different option you should be able to select that option by navigating with the right arrow key.In my case that navigation doesn't work. I can still navigate up and down...
  4. Can't select an option on the search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Search bar issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar issue: When I tried to search on my computer, it will only give me a second to type then goes away. I don't know what to do since I cannot use the search bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-issue/c92a9e98-2316-4c7f-9319-e6cae8059683
  6. Search bar issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar issue: When I tried to search on my computer, it will only give me a second to type then goes away. I don't know what to do since I cannot use the search bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-issue/c92a9e98-2316-4c7f-9319-e6cae8059683
  7. Search bar issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Search bar issues

in Cortana
    Search bar issues: There is some sort of cover which goes over my search. I don't know what it is and i have been trying to fix it for a while. Cannot figure it out. when i click on the white areas above the black barrier it disappears, any one have an idea what this is. or how to fix it. Thank...
  9. search bar issue

in Cortana
    search bar issue: Hi all The search bar on my windows 10 PC is not active. I can type in the search bar, but it doesn't search , nor comes up with suggestions. I have tried so far to run the search and indexing troubleshooter , and run the DISM.exe command in Powershell. Both didn't work....
  10. Search bar issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search bar issues: Hi, I have been encountering issues with the search bar in Windows. I type in a query or some words to search it on the web but it does not display web results. Instead, it says 'Preview for [word(s) typed in] isn't available right now. OK, so I click on 'See all web...