Windows 10: Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Ahmmad Hegazy, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can change the layout view of the content of your folders to how you like.

This tutorial will show you how to backup and restore folder view settings for any account in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
    Backup_and_Restore_Folder_View_Settings_Tool.bat

Download

Note This .bat file will only apply a backup and restore for the current account.

This below is the contents of this .bat file for reference:

Code:
    2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .bat file.

4. Run the .bat file.

5. Do what you would like to do in the Backup and Restore Folder View Settings Tool. (see screenshots below)

Note BACKUP:
    When you create a backup of your folder view settings, a Folder View Settings Backup folder will be saved to your desktop containing the exported .reg files from the registry for your folder view settings. You can save this folder where you like for safe keeping.

RESTORE:
    When you wish to restore a back up of your folder view settings, you will need to first have the Folder View Settings Backup folder on your desktop with this exact same name to do so.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Ahmmad Hegazy, Nov 7, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Nov 7, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

Hello Ahmmad, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It will only restore the folder views to how they were when backed up. It will not rename or create folders.

Brink, Nov 7, 2016
  5. Thank U Brink for your quick reply *Smile
    I see, but I mean now i must make clean install of windows 10 , and I ll re install a new one , i ll not change any folder name .
    i mean that if i restore this back up after clean installation of windows it ll return back the folders sorts and views i made before ?

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The backup will only be able to restore the folder views of the folders that exist now and were included in the backup.

If the folders are not the same, then their folder views will not be restored since they were not included in the backup.

Brink, Nov 7, 2016
  7. I cant believe it , *Biggrin*Biggrin*Biggrin really after clean installation of windows ? oh my god
    thank alot Brink , u r really a genius

8. WaterCat Win User

This sounded like the solution to my disappearing settings on my Acer laptop -Other laptops don't have this problem. After removing "Type" and ordering name, date, size for "General Items"and "Documents", I ran the restore operation. The next day after waking/rebooting it's back to the original settings - but the Restore function does not change it back. First, why can't Windows remember these settings, and why does your batch program not work on my system?
    Acer Aspire SW3-013 Notebook ~~ drive C: 32GB SSD ~~ drive D: 64GB SD card
    Windows 10 Home 32-bit v1607 b14393.479

WaterCat, Dec 20, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello WaterCat, *Smile

When you tried to restore your backed up folder view settings, did you do this below first? Just have to verify.

Brink, Dec 20, 2016
  10. WaterCat Win User
    I moved the folder Folder View Settings Backup to D:\Tools\Folder View Settings Backup and edited the script (example below). When Explorer exits, the screen blanks, but it does not restart (running the command from a command prompt works fine.)
    set FFF=D:\TOOLS
    IF EXIST "%FFF%\Folder View Settings Backup" goto :response1
    REG IMPORT "%FFF%\Folder View Settings Backup\HKCU_Software_Microsoft_Windows_Shell_BagMRU.reg"

WaterCat, Dec 20, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, it would be best to copy the folder to your desktop, and use the .bat as is to avoid potential issues like this.

Brink, Dec 20, 2016
  12. WaterCat Win User
    I'm amazed to report that after a sleep cycle and unrelated driver updates and reboots, the folder views appears to be holding! A Windows mystery that solved itself? Maybe I won't need the script!

WaterCat, Dec 21, 2016
  13. Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

i'm assuming after a clean install of 10 for this to work properly if i have say movies on h then before i run this if movies is f i need to change it to h, so on and so fourth, right? i just don't see it searching the system for the various folders.

ChaChaLaBoom, Apr 29, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello ChaChaLaBoom, *Smile

That's correct. If the the paths are not the same as they were in the backup, then those wouldn't be applied.

Brink, Apr 29, 2017
  15. might want to clarify that in the first post, cause some aren't going to realize that.

ChaChaLaBoom, Apr 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Folder

2. Windows backup restoring empty folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows backup restoring empty folders: Hi, currently on W11 Pro ver. 10.0.22621 I'm trying to restore files from a Windows backup. There is 2 backup that was created within the last 6 months on my PC. The size of the backup is over 1.7 TB. However, upon completion of the restore operation, only 28 GB of files are...
  3. Windows backup restoring empty folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows backup restoring empty folders: Hi, currently on W11 Pro ver. 10.0.22621 I'm trying to restore files from a Windows backup. There is 2 backup that was created within the last 6 months on my PC. The size of the backup is over 1.7 TB. However, upon completion of the restore operation, only 28 GB of files are...
  4. How to back up and restore Folder View settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to back up and restore Folder View settings in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Windows File Explorer is easy to navigate and comes with so many interesting […] This article How to back up and restore Folder View settings in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. How to Backup and restore Default folder views

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Backup and restore Default folder views: This has been copied from a 2017 article I wrote on another forum. I'll review this thread, including any suggestions for improvement, when I get/make the time and I will probably then suggest it as a TenForumsTutorial. Introduction Once you have set up the default folder...
  6. Setting folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting folder view: Hi. I have folders on my E drive which I like to see in List view. Some of those folders contain sub-folders which I also like to see in List view. When it comes to the actual files, I'd like them shown as Large Icons. Is such a setup possible? Thank you. (version 1903) 159581
  7. Backup and Restore Font Settings in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Font Settings in Windows: How to: Backup and Restore Font Settings in Windows How to Backup and Restore Font Settings in Windows A font is a graphical representation of text that may include a different typeface, point size, weight, color, or design. If you like, you can backup your font...
  8. Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can choose which folders appear on Start in the list. You can add or remove the File...
  9. Reset folder view settings in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reset folder view settings in Windows 10?: To put it directly, I'm looking for the Windows 10 equivalent of this: Folder View Settings - Reset to Default in Windows 8 16713
  10. Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore windows 10 folder view