Windows 10: Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10 How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by BACO STEF, Mar 4, 2017.

1. BACO STEF Win User

Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10

How to: Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10

How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10

Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can change the layout view of items in your folders to how you like.

In addition to sorting, you can also group files by property. Like sorting, grouping won't significantly change the way files are displayed. It just breaks them into different sections, depending on which property detail you choose. So, if you have a folder full of text documents, you might want to group them by type to see which app was used to create them. Or, if you're dealing with photos, you can group them by date to separate them by the date they were taken.

This tutorial will show you how to change the group by view of items in a folder in File Explorer for your account in Windows 10.

Note Included folders in a library will all share the same group by view.

If you want to remove the grouping separation in a folder or library, you select to Group by -> (None).

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Folder Group by View from File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Two: To Change Folder Group by View from Context Menu

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Folder Group by View from File Explorer Ribbon
    1. In File Explorer, open the folder you want to change the group by view of its content.

2. Click/tap on the View tab (Alt+V). (see screenshot below step 4)

3. Click/tap on Group by in the ribbon, and click/tap on the detail (ex: Name) you want to group items by in this folder. (see screenshot below step 4)

Note You can also click/tap on Choose columns to be able to select to add or remove more details to sort by with, and add or remove as columns when in details layout view.

4. Select to group items in this folder by ascending (default) or descending order with the selected detail (ex: Name) from step 3. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Folder Sort by View from Context Menu
    1. In File Explorer, open the folder you want to change the group by view of its content.

2. Right click or press and hold on an empty area inside the folder, click/tap on Group by, and click/tap on the detail (ex: Name) you want to group items by in this folder. (see screenshot below step 3)

Note You can also click/tap on More... to be able to select to add or remove more details to group by with, and add or remove as columns when in details layout view.

3. Select to group items in this folder by ascending (default) or descending order with the selected detail (ex: Name) from step 2. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

BACO STEF, Mar 4, 2017
  2. Rose Ter Win User

Windows 10 - Creating Customized WIndows Folder Templates

Hi,

In order for us to assist you on how to customized Windows folder templates. Kindly follow these steps:

Method 1: Change Folder Group by View from File Explorer Ribbon.

1. In File Explorer, open the folder you want to change the group by the view of its content.

2. Click/tap on the View tab (Alt+V).

3. Click/tap on Group by in the ribbon, and click/tap on the
    detail (ex: Name) you want to group items by in this folder.

4. Select to group items in this folder by ascending (default) or descending order
    with the selected detail (ex: Name).

Method 2: To Change Folder Sort by View from Context Menu

1. In File Explorer, open the folder you want to change the group by the view of its content.

2. Right click or press and hold on an empty area inside the folder, click/tap on Group
    by
    , and click/tap on the detail (ex: Name) you want to group items by in this folder.

3. Select to group items in this folder by ascending (default) or descending order
    with the selected detail.

Let us know how it goes.

Rose Ter, Mar 4, 2017
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Photo Collection On Windows 10

Hi Susan,

Using the File Explorer in Windows 10, you can change the template, column width, Group by, Sort by, and layout view of the files in a folder to your preference. You can follow the steps below to change the Folder View options on Windows 10:

• Open the folder that you want to change the view layout of in the File Explorer.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • From the View tab, you can change the options to the view layout that you want.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Mar 4, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello BACO STEF, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I'm afraid that I'm not aware of a way to change the letters used for how Windows group by -> Name with. *Sad

Brink, Mar 4, 2017
  5. BACO STEF Win User
    Thank you Brink!
    I've expected such answer.
    Then I shall report an error to MICROSOFT, as the sorting is not working correctly.
    In my case I've made Folders from A-Z ... now system has grouped them as follows:
    A-E, F-K, L-R and S-Z. I do see nice 4 columns in List view - BUT - the E Folder is under F-K group *Smile
    That was the cause of my question.
    THANK YOU AGAIN FOR REPLY AND KIND WELCOME GREETING.
    Vaso

BACO STEF, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Group Folder

2. Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders: Good day dear community,I have the Issue with Windows 10 Pro that sometimes I open up a folder and find that for whatever reason the View had been changed from "large icons" to "details". This issue had been since years and I would love for it to finally to stop doing it on...
  3. Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders: Good day dear community,I have the Issue with Windows 10 Pro that sometimes I open up a folder and find that for whatever reason the View had been changed from "large icons" to "details". This issue had been since years and I would love for it to finally to stop doing it on...
  4. Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change folder view options

Change folder view options: Hi. I want to permanently change the folder view options but what I want to do isn't available under the "Options" & "View" dialogue box. I would like to have the following columns in all my folders every time I open them: Name - Date Modified - Size - Path. That's all. The...
  6. File Folders in Windows 10 ARE NOT changing the customized view.

File Folders in Windows 10 ARE NOT changing the customized view.: I click properties on a file folder and change the view to optimize this folder for pictures and then click "also apply this template to all subfolders." I hit apply and when I click off and back, it is back to general items. I am so frustrated because I have to change the...
  7. How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10 tutorial

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10 tutorial: Hi @Shawn. I am trying to disable permanently the "Group by" of "My PC" in Explorer. I don't know if it's possible. In any case, the detail view columns are limited and the tutorials don't have information about exceptions, if there are any. 157737
  8. Quick Access folder view changes when sub folder views are changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access folder view changes when sub folder views are changed: Clicking the File Explorer to get to the Quick Access screen, "Recent folders" is in a separate pane at the top and "recent files" is at the bottom. This is how I want my Quick Access folder to look all the time. However, when I go to other folders on my computer and want to...
  9. Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10: How to: Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 How to Change the Layout View of a Folder in Windows 10 In Windows, you can change the Sort by, and layout view of items in your folders to how you like. The view layout of a folder's content can be changed to extra...
  10. Change Sort by View of Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Sort by View of Folder in Windows 10: How to: Change Sort by View of Folder in Windows 10 How to Change the Sort by View of a Folder in Windows 10 In Windows, you can change the layout view of items in your folders to how you like. Sorting options don't change the way your files appear. Instead, they...