Windows 10: Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 How to Change the Layout View of a Folder in Windows 10 In Windows, you can change the Sort by,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by AllenChicago, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

How to: Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

How to Change the Layout View of a Folder in Windows 10

In Windows, you can change the Sort by, and layout view of items in your folders to how you like.

The view layout of a folder's content can be changed to extra large icons, large icons, medium icons, small icons, list, details, tiles, or content.

This tutorial will show you how to change the icon view layout of items in a folder in File Explorer for your account in Windows 10.

*note Included folders in a library will all share the same view layout.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Folder View Layout from File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Two: To Change Folder View Layout from File Explorer Toolbar
    • Option Three: To Change Folder View Layout from Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Toolbar
    • Option Four: To Change Desktop and Folder View Layout from Context Menu
    • Option Five: To Change Desktop and Folder View Layout with Scroll Wheel
    • Option Six: To Change Desktop and Folder View Layout with Keyboard

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Folder View Layout from File Explorer Ribbon
    1. In File Explorer, open the folder you want to change the view layout of.

2. Click/tap on the View tab (Alt+V). (see screenshot below step 3)

3. In the Layout section of the ribbon, select Extra large icons, Large icons, Medium icons, Small icons, List, Details, Tiles, or Content for the view layout you want. (see screenshot below)

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Folder View Layout from File Explorer Toolbar
    1. In File Explorer, open the folder you want to change the view layout of its content.

2. At the bottom right corner of File Explorer, click/tap on either the Details (left) or Large icons (right) button for the view layout you want. (see screenshots below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Folder View Layout from Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Toolbar
    1. When you have a step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to change the view layout.

2. Click/tap on the Change your view button until the layout view is how you want. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the More options button, and select the layout view you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change Desktop and Folder View Layout from Context Menu
    1. Go to your desktop, or open a folder in File Explorer you want to change the view layout of.

2. Right click or press and hold on an empty area inside the folder, click/tap on View, and select Extra large icons, Large icons, Medium icons, Small icons, List, Details, Tiles, or Content for the view layout you want. (see screenshots below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Change Desktop and Folder View Layout with Scroll Wheel
    1. Click/tap on an empty area on your desktop or in a open folder in File Explorer you want to change the view layout of.

2. Press and hold the Ctrl key and roll the scroll wheel forward or backward until you have the view layout you want, and release the Ctrl key.

OPTION SIX [/i] To Change Desktop and Folder View Layout with Keyboard
    1. Click/tap on an empty area on your desktop or in a open folder in File Explorer you want to change the view layout of its content.

2. Press and hold the Ctrl+Shift keys and press a number key 1 to 8 until you have the view layout you want, then release the Ctrl+Shift keys.

Note Some people report they must press Ctrl+Alt instead of Ctrl+Shift.

This will not work using the number pad. You will need to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard.

The views in red below no longer work only on the Desktop starting with Windows 10 version 1703, but will still work in File Explorer for all versions.

[table][tr][td]Number[/td] [td]View Layout[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]Extra large icons[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2[/td] [td]Large icons[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]Medium icons[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4[/td] [td]Small icons[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5[/td] [td]List[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]6[/td] [td]Details[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]7[/td] [td]Tiles[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]8[/td] [td]Content[/td] [/tr] [/table]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

AllenChicago, Dec 22, 2015

2. Is there a way to change the default Windows 10 File Explorer layout view, regardless of content type

When using Windows 10 File explorer to open directories, folders and sub-folders, the default layout view changes depending on the file content type in the folders.

Music, Pictures, Videos, application files etc...

The majority of default view is Large Icons. I always have to manually change them to 'Details'

When I manually change the view of a specific folder to 'Details', Windows seems to remember that as a preference because the next time I open that same folder, it retains the last layout view I used.

As I cannot change the layout view manually for each and every folder,

How can I change the default layout view for every existing folder and every newly created folder to open in a 'Details' layout view.

**moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & Personalization.

Chuck_Bytes, Dec 22, 2015
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Photo Collection On Windows 10

Hi Susan,

Using the File Explorer in Windows 10, you can change the template, column width, Group by, Sort by, and layout view of the files in a folder to your preference. You can follow the steps below to change the Folder View options on Windows 10:

• Open the folder that you want to change the view layout of in the File Explorer.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • From the View tab, you can change the options to the view layout that you want.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Dec 22, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

Hello Allen, *Smile

Are the folders this is happing with on a removable drive?

If so, folder views are not remembered for these type of locations.

Brink, Dec 22, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    You need to apply the view setting for each folder type:

Edwin, Dec 22, 2015
  6. evildog1 Win User
    how can i apply layout for all folders?

evildog1, Oct 13, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 13, 2016
  8. evildog1 Win User

evildog1, Oct 20, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You should be able to use that tutorial to set all folders to have the "General items" template, set a folder to use "List" view, then use "Apply to Folder" to apply the view to all folders. *Smile

Brink, Oct 20, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    "uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Oct 21, 2016
  11. Michael Win User
    The non-icon desktop layout options seem to have been removed in 1703 *Sad

Michael, Apr 28, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you @Michael. I have added a note for this in the tutorial. *Sad

Brink, Apr 28, 2017
  13. Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

how about a .reg or .bat file to restore custom folder view setting after a clean install? after i reinstall windows the first thing i do is reassign my secondary drives/partitions there previous drive letters. in doing this i don't have to change various setting in my backup for various programs like my browsers, winstep, etc.... but where various view settings are concerned it can be weeks before i reset each and every folder. i would rather have click and done on the various view settings so i can open a folder and just do what i open that folder for instead of opening the folder, adjusting the view, and then doing what i opened the folder for. thanks

ChaChaLaBoom, Apr 28, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 28, 2017
  15. Michael Win User
    Here's another way to change the desktop layout, for any AutoIt users:
    Code: #include <GUIListView.au3> _GUICtrlListView_SetView(ControlGetHandle('', 'FolderView', 'SysListView321'), 2)[/quote] Put that in an .au3 file in your Startup folder, and it will switch to List view at login.

You can change the last 2 to a 1 for Details view, or 4 for Tiles.

Michael, Apr 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Folder View

2. Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders: Good day dear community,I have the Issue with Windows 10 Pro that sometimes I open up a folder and find that for whatever reason the View had been changed from "large icons" to "details". This issue had been since years and I would love for it to finally to stop doing it on...
  3. Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders: Good day dear community,I have the Issue with Windows 10 Pro that sometimes I open up a folder and find that for whatever reason the View had been changed from "large icons" to "details". This issue had been since years and I would love for it to finally to stop doing it on...
  4. Windows 10 Automatically changes the view in folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Stop the folder view type changing by mouse over in the layout panel.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop the folder view type changing by mouse over in the layout panel.: So sometimes when I want to change the layout view for a folder or some search result as im going to select the one I want from the explorer ribbon it will begin to change to ones that im mouse overing on the way to it. When dealing with a large folder (esp one with heaps of...
  6. How to change layout in folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change layout in folders?: Inside my folder, the files or icons are divided in "Today," "Yesterday" and "Last month." How do I get rid of that? I like it to be without that. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-layout-in-folders/a5e3bb68-a4d0-4ab3-bf83-efccdc6fc98d"
  7. View Layout Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    View Layout Icons: In the lower right corner of the File Explorer there are two icons that have something to do with View Layout: 'Detail' and 'Large Icons'. I would like to: 1. Add the 'List' view because this is the type I often use, or: 2. Replace the 'Large Icon' with 'List'....
  8. Folder view layout Shortcut keys - not acting as it should

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder view layout Shortcut keys - not acting as it should: Hi all I learned that there is key shortcuts to control the view of a folder moving from win 7 to 10 i tried using the it but it's not working and when it is it works weird large thumbnails = Ctrl + shift + 2 - NOT WORKING Sometimes Ctrl + shift + 6 show large...
  9. Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10: How to: Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10 How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can change the layout view of items in your folders to how you like. In addition to sorting, you can also group files by...
  10. Change Sort by View of Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Sort by View of Folder in Windows 10: How to: Change Sort by View of Folder in Windows 10 How to Change the Sort by View of a Folder in Windows 10 In Windows, you can change the layout view of items in your folders to how you like. Sorting options don't change the way your files appear. Instead, they...