Windows 10: Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings and Rules in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings and Rules in Windows 10

Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows Defender Firewall.

Windows Firewall can help prevent hackers or malicious software from gaining access to your PC through the Internet or a network.

You can export (backup) and import (restore) your Windows Firewall settings. These settings will include Windows Firewall on or off for all network locations, notification settings, allowed apps, and Windows Firewall with Advanced Security settings and rules.

Importing (restoring) Windows Firewall settings from a backup will override and replace the current settings on the PC.

This tutorial will show you how to backup and restore Windows Defender Firewall settings and rules in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to backup and restore Windows Firewall settings.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Backup (export) Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    • Option Two: To Restore (import) Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    • Option Three: To Backup (export) Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Restore (import) Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Command Prompt
    EXAMPLE: Windows Firewall settings

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup (export) Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Windows Firewall icon.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced settings link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Action (menu bar), and click/tap on Export Policy. (see screenshot below)

4. Navigate to where you want to export the .wfw file to, type in a name (ex: "WindowsFirewallSettingsBackup") you want for the .wfw file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security window if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore (import) Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Windows Firewall icon.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced settings link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Action (menu bar), and click/tap on Import Policy. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. Navigate to where you saved the exported .wfw file to, select the .wfw file (ex: "WindowsFirewallSettingsBackup"), and click/tap on Open. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security window if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Backup (export) Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Command Prompt

Note To see more usage options for the Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall command, see: Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Commands - TechNet

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow netsh advfirewall export "%userprofile%\Desktop\WindowsFirewallSettingsBackup.wfw"

3. You will now have a WindowsFirewallSettingsBackup.wfw file saved to your desktop that is the backup of your Windows Firewall settings. You can move this file to where you like to keep it saved at.

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Restore (import) Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Command Prompt

Note To see more usage options for the Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall command, see: Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Commands - TechNet

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow netsh advfirewall import "Full path of .wfw file"

Note Substitute Full path of .wfw file in the command above with the actual full path of the exported .wfw file (ex: "WindowsFirewallSettingsBackup").

For example: netsh advfirewall import "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\WindowsFirewallSettingsBackup.wfw"

3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 17, 2017
  2. sbdresner Win User

Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

Thanks, Brink. Firewall's disabled. I get this, but none of the links work:

sbdresner, Oct 26, 2019
  3. AndreTen Win User
    Windows Defender Firewall not letting me change settings/add apps

It is allowed for private networks. What's wrong?

Perhaps, what is bothering you, that you're trying to change some of the system components. Go to Advanced Firewall settings, where you can see some more info..

One thing... if you are about to play with settings, could be good idea to make a backup of your current settings:
    *Arrow tutorials | backup-restore-windows-defender-firewall-settings-windows-10

AndreTen, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. oemSoft Win User
    Is window 10 firewall 1 way or 2 way?

I would like to know on how to create a white and black lists for firewall, so whenever any unknown traffic, it pops up and request permission and add into white or black lists in order to control and monitor and where to backup those lists as well.

On the other hands, there are windows firewall and windows defender, is there any difference in term of firewall?

Do you have any suggestions on whether win 10 Firewall has this feature or not?

Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

oemSoft, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Jetster Win User
    windows 10 worth the upgrade?

I just tested Windows image back up in windows 10. They put the system imaging back into Windows after taking it out in Windows 8. Last month after I did a clean install I made an Image.
    Its a little hidden. After creating an image. To restore:
    Settings/update and security/recovery/restart now/advance/use image

It literally took 10 minutes to restore my system

To make an Image just use Backup and restore in the control panel it says (Windows 7)

Jetster, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Defender

2. What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do: So Microsoft Defender Firewalls displays an error with the option to "Restore settings" but provides no additional details as to why it thinks it broke nor what will be lost if I click the "Restore settings" button. This seems like those "Something went wrong" error messages...
  3. What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do: So Microsoft Defender Firewalls displays an error with the option to "Restore settings" but provides no additional details as to why it thinks it broke nor what will be lost if I click the "Restore settings" button. This seems like those "Something went wrong" error messages...
  4. What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Restoring Windows Defender Firewall to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Windows Defender Firewall to default: I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360. I was online looking for tips and tricks online. A lot of them recommended getting rid of McAfee Security because of the bloatware, as well as, the nagging pop ups every time you looked around. I followed there directions and...
  6. Restoring Windows Defender Firewall to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Windows Defender Firewall to default: I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360. I was online looking for tips and tricks online. A lot of them recommended getting rid of McAfee Security because of the bloatware, as well as, the nagging pop ups every time you looked around. I followed there directions and...
  7. Windows Defender firewall advanced settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender firewall advanced settings: Hello! In Windows Defender firewall advanced settings 1. Is inbound and outbound rules the same as ports? 2. The programs with the green button / activated, are they blocked or allowed by the firewall? Thanks in advance for replying Best regards 179783
  8. Windows Defender and Backup and Restore interaction

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender and Backup and Restore interaction: I went to do a Backup and Restore on a Windows 10 computer, only to have the backup fail with a report of malware being found. But wait!! Windows Defender is running, how does that happen? Discocvered that Defender didn't deal with a number issues, etx. But I'm...
  9. Windows Defender Firewall settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender Firewall settings: Which apps should I allow to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall in my Windows settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-settings/3be59eb4-93ed-4fdf-9a67-1954fab82cc4
  10. Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows Defender Firewall. Windows Firewall can help prevent hackers or malicious software from gaining...