Windows 10: Can you not add shortcuts to the quicklinks area of the start menu?

Discus and support Can you not add shortcuts to the quicklinks area of the start menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. Back in 7, my start menu had stuff pinned to it. I could click, say, Visual Studio and a submenu would slide out with recently opened projects on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Strahan, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Strahan Win User

Can you not add shortcuts to the quicklinks area of the start menu?

Hi. Back in 7, my start menu had stuff pinned to it. I could click, say, Visual Studio and a submenu would slide out with recently opened projects on it so I could not only open it, but open a specific project.

I pinned VS to my Start Menu, but it doesn't have that functionality. I thought OK, well, maybe if it's on the left side of the start menu where the recently used stuff was. I can't figure out though how to get a shortcut over there (I believe that area is called "quick links"). I don't even have "recently used" anymore. I saw one can add folders from a list, but I don't need that. Right clicking the pinned VS in the "tiles" area doesn't give me that program specific context so that's not really useful.

Is it just not possible anymore?

:)

Strahan, Sep 23, 2015
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

How can you widen the system tray area of the taskbar?

Which 'bit' of the Taskbar are you talking about?

- If it's the System Icons on the right then that automatically resizes when you choose which system icons you want to show/hide.

- If you are talking about the program icons area on the left, you may have to Unlock the Taskbar in the settings screen to allow it to be resized, which is identical to Windows 7/8 except, if I remember correctly, the default setting in Windows 7 was 'Unlocked',
    whereas the Default Setting in Windows 8/8.1/10 is 'Locked' .

Erdeslawe, Sep 23, 2015
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    How can you widen the system tray area of the taskbar?

Hi,

I understand the issue that you are facing and will try to resolve it the best possible way we can.

System tray cannot be widen manually or Windows do not have the button to do that however they can be re-size the system by checking the buttons of which icons you want to see.

Follow the steps.

• Click start menu
      and click on setting.

• Click on System and select
      notifications & actions.

• Click on “Select which icons appear on the task bar” and select the desire icon you want to see on the system tray.

• Click on “Turn system icons on or off” and select which icons you want to see on system tray.
    Also, you can give your feedback using feedback hub.

Get back to us with the result and we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Sep 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 23, 2015
  5. Strahan Win User
    Thanks. Hmm. I went to File Explorer, right clicked the Downloads folder and chose "Pin to Quick Access". It did not appear there though, and when I right clicked Downloads again it still said "Pin" not "Unpin" for quick access. I tried several folders, all behave the same. Do I have to enable it or something? I tried running the add pin to context reg file from your first link and it had no effect (pretty much what I expected since I already had that context option, just wanted to be thorough). ?

Strahan, Sep 24, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  7. Strahan Win User
    Reading that link, I think I am talking about the wrong area then. In this screenshot, the red arrow is pointing to the area I am talking about.

Can you not add shortcuts to the quicklinks area of the start menu? [​IMG]

On the topic of quick access though, I see now that section titled "quick access" in Explorer where I have some folders pinned. I pinned a music share from my file server and I see that some subfolders from that share (indicated in blue) are showing up pinned.. is it normal for that to happen? Seems a bit weird. I never pinned "playlists".

Strahan, Sep 30, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

In your Quick access screenshot, it doesn't show your "Playlists" folder as pinned. If it was pinned it would have a small gray push pin icon to the right of it. Currently, it's showing as just a frequent folder.

Did you blank anything out on the left side of your Start menu, or is that how it actually looks now?

Brink, Sep 30, 2015
  9. Strahan Win User
    Ah, OK. So that list is dynamic aside from the pinned items? Cool. As to the start menu, just removed the username/userphoto at the top as I didn't want my last name floating around the net, that's it.

Strahan, Sep 30, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
Thema:

1. Can you not add shortcuts to the quicklinks area of the start menu? - Similar Threads - add shortcuts quicklinks

2. Document Shortcuts on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Document Shortcuts on Start Menu: I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2. It appears that document shortcuts on startmenu is not longer supported. The shortcuts are still in the StartMenu/Programs folder and function if clicked on directly, but they no longer appear in the start menu and cannot be pinned. I was able...
  3. can you change the slideshow on start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can you change the slideshow on start menu?: is it possible to change the folder/album that the photos app on the start menu uses for it's live tile slide show? submitted by /u/venzo2704 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jeh8cj/can_you_change_the_slideshow_on_start_menu/
  4. Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?: Specifically I want to be able to open Visual Studio Code by searching VS Code instead. League of Legends allows me to search "lol" to have the program immediately come to the top, is there any way I can replicate this? submitted by /u/MattHellstrand [link] [comments]...
  5. How to add shortcut into start?

How to add shortcut into start?: When I right click shortcut, "click Pin to Start" is not available for selection. I would like to know on how to add shortcut into start under window 10. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  6. Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?

Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?: The start menu has groups of apps on the right side, e.g., Productivity, Explore, etc. How do I add a group of my own choosing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-a-group-for-app-shortcuts-on-the-start-menu/a88f905f-d124-4ae8-a862-50aacdc38d71
  7. Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803)

Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803): The previous technique used to add shortcuts from the desktop to Start involved adding shortcuts to C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. This used to cause these shortcuts to appear in the start menu (perhaps under recently add items)...
  8. Can't add shortcuts to start menu

Can't add shortcuts to start menu: I can't pin shortcuts to start menu , i tried drag and drop , but it won't let me. I also don't have a "Start Menu' tab in taskbar properties. [img] [img] 10986
  9. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  10. What can you pin to start menu?

What can you pin to start menu?: So what exactly can be pinned to start menu in Win10? Applications, obviously, Folders, Settings from modern Settings App, Settings from Control Panel, Websites, through Edge menu, Websites, by creating "application view" in IE11, OneNote notes and notebooks through modern...