Windows 10: Cannot pin anything to Start Menu

Discus and support Cannot pin anything to Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 1. The only shortcuts I have are Edge and Settings. They can be unpinned, but not added back 2. Nothing happens when attempting to do so. 3. Can pin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DarkRookie, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Cannot pin anything to Start Menu

1. The only shortcuts I have are Edge and Settings. They can be unpinned, but not added back
    2. Nothing happens when attempting to do so.
    3. Can pin to taskbar
    4. .lnk files work file
    5. SFC failed to find anything or repair anything
    6. Ditto with DISM
    7. New user profile has same issue
    8. Restarting the explorer process brings back the Edge and Setting shortcuts

:)

DarkRookie, Jul 18, 2017

2. Drag-and-Drop to Start button: "Pin to Start menu" prompt appears, but nothing gets pinned to the menu

When I drag various shortcuts from my desktop to Start button, a floating prompt appears over the Start button. It says: "Pin to Start menu". However, dropping shortcuts over Start button does not pin anything to Start menu. Nothing at all happens, actually.

So, what is the meaning of that "Pin to Start menu" prompt? Any why doesn't it really pin anything?

Andrey_T04, Jul 18, 2017
  3. Psykho. Win User
    Desktop Fiasco

Hi (To whom it may concern )

The Problem ?

• Cannot right click anything in the right click start button. I cannot get any app or systems to function
    • I cannot pin anything to the start menu or the taskbar
    • I can type WINDOWS key + R to get the run menu but cannot run most of the items . No Command prompt
    no file explorer . etc... I have tried most of the tasks in these forums and am still having these issues, : (

Sincerely .... about to buy a Mac ....

Sean

Psykho., Jul 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Cannot pin anything to Start Menu

Whilst you can try e.g.
    Start Menu Troubleshooter in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Reset Start Layout in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Clear Live Tile Cache on Start in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

the fact that this occurs in a new user profile, together with what you have tried, suggests you may want to consider an
    in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data and most settings.

** If you have the Creator's build, use the current iso.
    If you have the Anniversary build, use an Anniversary build boot disk or iso.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

And with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

You should also make sure there's at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain a Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a Win 10 bootable medium. However, this will be the latest build from MS, which may not be the build you have installed. You must use one for the same major build.

If your installed Windows is not the latest major build, please post back.

However, this will be the latest build from MS, which may not be the build you have installed. You must use one for the same major build.

If your installed Windows is not the latest major build, please post back.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - you keep all your programs
    - you keep all your personal data

However: if you have installed some universal apps on a 2nd drive, these must be uninstalled or reinstalled on C: - else you will get an obscure error message that you can not keep your apps because they are in an unsupported directory.

"You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory"

- all/most associations will be unchanged
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Jul 19, 2017
Thema:

Cannot pin anything to Start Menu

1. Cannot pin anything to Start Menu - Similar Threads - Cannot pin anything

2. Recent File Cannot be Shown in Apps pinned in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recent File Cannot be Shown in Apps pinned in Start Menu: Hi Microsoft,I just switch from Win10 to Win11.In Win10, for the pinned apps of Word, Excel and Powerpoint in the Start menu, right click the mouse button can show the recent used files.However in Win 11, this function is disappeared for pinned apps in Start menu. It seems...
  3. cannot open anything apps or menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot open anything apps or menu: hello i march marchalves6 i updated my win7 to win10 and i cannot enter on apps menu and bar search only edge helpp!! : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-anything-apps-or-menu/8dd0aca1-de89-491e-a325-af0a5186f59c
  4. Why can't we just pin anything to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can't we just pin anything to the start menu?: I mean seriously. This seems like something that should be a dead simple thing to do. But instead it's needlessly complicated. I want to just drag and drop a shortcut to the start menu, but I can't....
  5. start menu pinned to desktop

start menu pinned to desktop: my start menu is always on top of the desktop making me unable to access the desktop directly, how can i resolve that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-pinned-to-desktop/1d188809-d239-418c-942b-d5e4455693a5
  6. Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu

Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu: I seem to have lost the ability to pin programs to the Start Menu or organize the ones I had already pinned. Also, when I try to turn on "Use Start full screen," it turns back off right away. It's a new computer that I built last night with a new Windows 10 installation....
  7. pin to start menu customizations

pin to start menu customizations: Where are start menu tiles (pinned shortcuts) stored? I can't find them. I want to customize the start menu and back it up to deploy elsewhere. 12877
  8. Cannot pin programs to start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot pin programs to start menu: Not all the programs I have installed appear on the start menu (all apps). Even if I right click the relevant exe file (from file explorer) and select pin to start menu it does not appear. If I select pin to taskbar that works! 40527
  9. Only "pin to start" (as a tile) and not "pin to start menu"?

in Windows 10 Support
    Only "pin to start" (as a tile) and not "pin to start menu"?: Hello! I haven't tried the previews but follow the development through blogs and YouTube. I am running 8.1 on all my PC's and love it. I've become used to the start screen and tiles but was under the impression that the new start menu in 10 would make it possible to pin...
  10. Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?: Either the Windows 10 start menu really sucks or I am using it wrong. I am used to the StartisBack/Windows 7 menu where you can pin anything and all applications will come up in search results. In the Windows 10 menu, I can't pin anything to the start menu that's not already...