Windows 10: Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018)

Discus and support Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just switched over to the Windows Insider Program to upgrade WSL, and when all the updates were finished, I can't seem to be able to run Powershell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MichaelC42, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018)

I just switched over to the Windows Insider Program to upgrade WSL, and when all the updates were finished, I can't seem to be able to run Powershell as an administrator. When I click on that option, nothing happens. I noted that I'm still the administrator use in my account settings. I know this build is a day old, but any help would be appreciated.

:)

MichaelC42, Nov 7, 2019
  2. MrGenius Win User

Windows 10 RTM/Build 10240 now available for Insiders

Insiders in the fast and slow rings are now being distributed the latest Windows 10 RTM (build 10240).

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...-for-windows-insiders-in-fast-and-slow-rings/

But for those wanting to expedite the upgrade, and/or download the latest build in iso form, it can be downloaded for free from the following link.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/oper...-pro-build-10240-iso-32-64-bit-free-download/

Don't forget to check out the activation steps found here:

Spoiler slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
    slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in
    slmgr /ato

Windows 10 Enterprise - NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43B8YKP-D69TJ
    Windows 10 Home - TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
    Windows 10 Professional - W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX

use the key you need for the build and run those lines in cmd to activate

activation
    I suggest running those commands as administrator. Just in case.

Enjoy!

MrGenius, Nov 7, 2019
  3. ddelo Win User
    Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
      Code:
      Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -force
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018) :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018)

Add Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator in Windows 10  

How to Add "Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator" context menu in Windows 10

The Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE) is one of two hosts for the Windows PowerShell engine and language. With it you can write, run, and test scripts in ways that are not available in the Windows PowerShell Console. The ISE adds syntax-coloring, tab completion, IntelliSense, visual debugging, and context sensitive Help.

The ISE lets you run commands in a console pane, but it also supports panes that you can use to simultaneously view the source code of your script and other tools that can plug into the ISE. You can even open up multiple script windows at the same time, which is especially helpful when you are debugging a script that uses functions defined in other scripts or modules.

For more details about Windows PowerShell ISE, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to add or remove a Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator context menu for PS1 files for all users in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to add, remove, or use the "Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator" context menu.

*note The "Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator" context menu will be available when you right click or shift + right click on a PS1 file.

EXAMPLE: "Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator" context menu

Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018) [​IMG]

Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018) [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (add-right click), step 3 (add-Shift+right click) , or step 4 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Right Click "Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator" Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Add_Edit_with_PowerShell_ISE_as_administrator_context_menu.reg

3. To Add Shift + Right Click "Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator" Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Add_Shift+Edit_with_PowerShell_ISE_as_administrator_context_menu.reg

4. To Remove "Edit with PowerShell ISE as administrator" Context Menu
    *note This is the default setting.

Remove_Open_with_Windows_PowerShell_ISE_as_administrator_context_menu.reg

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018)

1. Can't run Powershell as administrator in latest Windows Insider Build (19018) - Similar Threads - Can't run Powershell

2. Inside Windows Sandbox, how can I run PowerShell or Cmd as a non-administrator?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inside Windows Sandbox, how can I run PowerShell or Cmd as a non-administrator?: submitted by /u/krk_computers [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v0t3pn/inside_windows_sandbox_how_can_i_run_powershell/
  3. Problems with latest WIndows 10 Insider build installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with latest WIndows 10 Insider build installation: Hi, For the last couple of days my Windows 10 has been attempting to install the latest insider build. However, it gets to a point where the blue windows logo is showing, and a circle of dots which spins beneath it, then seems to just hang. I have been able to...
  4. Windows 10 SDK Preview Build 19018 now available - November 12 Insider

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 SDK Preview Build 19018 now available - November 12 Insider: Today, we released a new Windows 10 Preview Build of the SDK to be used in conjunction with Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 19018 or greater). The Preview SDK Build 19018 contains bug fixes and under development changes to the API surface area. The Preview SDK can be...
  5. New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 19018 (20H1) - Nov. 5 Insider

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 19018 (20H1) - Nov. 5 Insider: Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19018 (20H1) to Fast ring. Starting today, Windows Insiders who have opted into Skip Ahead are being migrated back into the Fast ring. This means that Skip Ahead will no longer be reflected under...
  6. New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 19018 (20H1) - Nov. 4 Insider

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 19018 (20H1) - Nov. 4 Insider: Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19018 (20H1) to Fast ring. Starting today, Windows Insiders who have opted into Skip Ahead are being migrated back into the Fast ring. This means that Skip Ahead will no longer be reflected under...
  7. Windows 10 Won't update to latest insider build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Won't update to latest insider build: Has anyone had a fix for this? I'm getting an error 0x8007000d for the past month now and every Windows update has the same resulting code whenever I try to install it. Is there a way to install this without having to factory reset (btw, I can't go back to the previous build)...
  8. Windows Sandbox can't run PowerShell?!?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Sandbox can't run PowerShell?!?: When running in Windows Sandbox I can't run any PowerShell scripts at all. I get an error that states that, "Version v4.0.30319 of the .NET Framework is not installed and it is required to run version 3 of Windows PowerShell." and I have .net version 4.8.03752 installed on...
  9. Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator: Hi. So I've been searching online on a way to do this yet I cannot find a way to do it. _______________________________________ I need this in specific: I want to double click a PowerShell script file (which will run as an administrator) from Windows Explorer that has...
  10. I can't run Windows PowerShell

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't run Windows PowerShell: Hey guys, can you help me? I can't run WIndows Powershell (even as admin or not), it say "C:\Users\ASUS K84L\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell\Windows PowerShell.lnk", [img] i try to run via directory and then windows say "This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows-PowerShell 19027