Windows 10: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

Discus and support Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 How to Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

How to: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

How to Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure from lost, stolen, or inappropriately decommissioned computers.

When you TPM, you can choose to unlock the OS drive at startup with a PIN.

Originally, BitLocker allowed from 4 to 20 characters for a PIN. Starting with Windows 10 version 1703, the minimum length for the BitLocker PIN was increased to 6 characters to better align with other Windows features that leverage TPM 2.0. To help organizations with the transition, beginning with Windows 10 version 1709 and Windows 10 version 1703 with the October 2017 Fall Cumulative Update installed, the BitLocker PIN length is 6 characters by default, but it can be reduced to 4 characters. If the minimum PIN length is set below 6 digits, Windows will attempt to update the TPM 2.0 lockout period to be greater than the default when a PIN is changed. If successful, Windows will only reset the TPM lockout period back to default if the TPM is reset.

This tutorial will show you how to change the BitLocker startup PIN in Windows 10.

Note Before you can change the PIN or password on a BitLocker protected drive, you must unlock the drive.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in This PC
    • Option Two: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Manage BitLocker Control Panel
    • Option Three: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] Change BitLocker Startup PIN in This PC
    1. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E), and do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. Right click or press and hold on the OS drive (ex: "C") encrypted by step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the OS drive (ex: "C") encrypted by step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Type in the Old PIN, type in a New Pin, type the new PIN again to Confirm new PIN, and click/tap on Change PIN. (see screenshot below)

5. If the PIN has been successfully changed, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Manage BitLocker Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the BitLocker Drive Encryption icon.

2. Under Operating system drive, click/tap on the Change PIN link. (see screenshot below)

3. Type in the Old PIN, type in a New Pin, type the new PIN again to Confirm new PIN, and click/tap on Change PIN. (see screenshot below)

4. If the PIN has been successfully changed, click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close the Control Panel if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Command Prompt

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow manage-bde -changepin <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "C") of the OS drive encrypted by BitLocker with TPM and PIN.

For example: manage-bde -changepin C:

3. Type the new PIN when prompted, and press Enter.

4. Confirm the new PIN by typing it again when prompted, and press Enter.

5. If your PIN has been successfully updated, you can now close the elevated command prompt.

That's all,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 6, 2016

2. Bitlocker Blank blue screen at PIN screen

Our organization requires Laptops to be Encrypted with a PIN #. One of our Laptops is giving me trouble. I have Bitlocker turned on and fully encrypted and have require Startup PIN with TPM in the Require additional authentication at startup in GPEDIT. I also have the Enable use of Bitlocker Authentication Requiring preboot Keyboard input on Slates enabled. When turning on the Laptop Bitlocker comes up with the light blue screen where you enter the PIN but the screen is blank. It doesn't say Bitlocker or have a box to enter the PIN #. Now I can just type the pin # and press enter and it works and loads windows as normal. I obviously can't give this Laptop to a user like this.

Anybody have any suggestions as to a resolution to this issue.
    Thank You.

drew22to375, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

why doesn't my bitlocker make me type a password?

Hi,

I understand that you have issue with Bitlocker password. I will certainly assist you with this.

Please provide us below details for better assistance,

• Is your Bitlocker enabled on your system?

• Have you made any changes on your system before this issue?

Please follow these steps and check if that helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to start the BitLocker Device Encryption service.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.

2. Type services.msc and hit Enter.

3. Search for BitLocker Device Encryption service.

4. Double click on BitLocker Device Encryption service and click on Start button.

5. Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to Automatic.

If the issue persists then change the password and change the settings on how drive is unlocked at startup.

Hope it will fix your issue. Please let us know the status of your issue.

Thank You.

Krishna Priya V, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Bitlocker locked on startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to try the step under the section "To unlock removable data drive" in the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

For further reference, ask OP to refer to the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker-drive-encryption

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

1. Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change BitLocker Startup

2. Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?: Is it possible to use a startup PIN with hardware BitLocker? By hardware BitLocker I am referring to BitLocker managing a drive's built-in encryption key. For example, for a TCG Opal 2.0 SSD. Or is a startup PIN only an option for software BitLocker? Thanks....
  3. Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?: Is it possible to use a startup PIN with hardware BitLocker? By hardware BitLocker I am referring to BitLocker managing a drive's built-in encryption key. For example, for a TCG Opal 2.0 SSD. Or is a startup PIN only an option for software BitLocker? Thanks....
  4. Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction: Hi, We want to enable BitLocker Startup PIN using Intune. Is there a way by which the PIN can be setup without User interaction. From my understanding, we will have to set PIN for each computer and requires user interaction. Please help. Thanks in advance...
  6. BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction: Hi, We want to enable BitLocker Startup PIN using Intune. Is there a way by which the PIN can be setup without User interaction. From my understanding, we will have to set PIN for each computer and requires user interaction. Please help. Thanks in advance...
  7. How to enable or disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Enhanced startup PINs for BitLocker permits the use of characters including uppercase and lowercase letters, symbols, numbers, and spaces. This policy setting is applied when you turn on BitLocker for the OS drive. In this post, we will show you [...] This...
  8. Specify Minimum Length for BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Specify Minimum Length for BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Originally, BitLocker allowed from 4 to 20 characters for a PIN. Now, the minimum length for the BitLocker PIN was increased to 6 characters to better align with other Windows features that leverage TPM 2.0. To help organizations with the [...] This post...
  9. Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10: How to: Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 How to Specify Minimum PIN Length for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 [img] Information When you TPM, you can choose to unlock the OS drive at startup with a PIN. Originally, BitLocker allowed...
  10. Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Enhanced PINs for BitLocker Startup in Windows 10 [img] Information When you TPM, you can choose to unlock the OS drive at startup with a PIN. The turn on BitLocker...