Windows 10: Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10 How to Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10 [img] Information This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10

How to: Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10

How to Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10

Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information This tutorial will show you how to change the default icon used for User's Files to any icon you want for your account in Windows 10.

Tip You may also want to allow or prevent themes to change desktop icons for your User's Files icon.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Default Icon for User's Files in Desktop Icon Settings
    • Option Two: To Restore Default Icon for User's Files in Desktop Icon Settings
    • Option Three: To Change Default Icon for User's Files in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: User's Files in File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Default Icon for User's Files in Desktop Icon Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

Note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), enter the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open Desktop Icon Settings at step 4 below instead.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0

2. Click/tap on Themes on the left side, and click/tap on the Desktop icon settings link on the right side under Related Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

4. Select the User's Files icon, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Browse button, navigate to and select the .ico file or file that contains the icon you want, click/tap on Open, select the icon you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

6. Click/tap on the OK to apply. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Default Icon for User's Files in Desktop Icon Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

Note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), enter the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open Desktop Icon Settings at step 4 below instead.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0

2. Click/tap on Themes on the left side, and click/tap on the Desktop icon settings link on the right side under Related Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

4. Select the User's Files icon, and click/tap on the Restore Default button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the OK to apply. (see screenshots below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Default Icon for User's Files in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{59031A47-3F72-44A7-89C5-5595FE6B30EE}\DefaultIcon

3. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type the full path of the .ico file you want to use, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note You can use the path below to restore the default User's Files icon.

*Arrow C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll,-123

5. When finished, close Registry Editor.

6. sign in to fully apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 25, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Flissa Win User
    Is it possible to modify the default User Icon on the login screen?

Here is a screenshot of my two user accounts showing two different icons. When I login to either account the icon shows on welcome, login. lock, switch user and any other screen where users appear. Dont know much about png etc so never touched those files. I have found many things changed in Win10 from Win7. All I can say is my user icons are the way I want them and I changed them using the method I suggested. Sorry I cant solve your problem but I'm sure someone on this site will eventually come up with a better answer than me. Regards .

Flissa, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Meghana C Win User
    Change Cortana icon back to default

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issues you are facing with Cortana.

To assist you better, kindly explain what steps you performed to change the Cortana icon?

I suggest you to follow below steps to turn off Cortana’s personalization:

• Go to Cortana >
      Notebook > About Me.

• Click to select your
      Microsoft account

• On the Account page, click again to select your Microsoft account.
    • Select Sign out and restart the system, again sign in back and check.

I suggest you to install all the available Windows updates and check the issue.

Also, I suggest you to check the issue in other user accounts if you have any. If you don't have other user accounts, then I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue persists.

Refer to the following article on
    how to create a new user account in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12385/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Please get back to us to assist you further.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ian Ser Win User
    Change file icons in Windows 10

Hi Richard,

It may be possible that both Word and PDF files are set to be opened by the same program. We suggest changing the default app for these files. Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + I on your keyboard then click Apps.
    • On the left hand panel, click Default apps. Scroll down and then and then click
      Choose default apps by file type.
    • Look for .doc and .docx then click
      Choose a default
      and choose the version of Word you're using. Do this also for
      .pdf files which you can choose from your preferred browser or the PDF program you're using.

Update us if there are improvements.

Ian Ser, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10

1. Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Default Icon

2. Change default user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default user: I just had to totally replace my Windows 10 OS and now it's using deejh as the default user instead of wildchild1954, which is what it used to, and should still, be. Can anyone tell me in simple English how to make that back into the default user? I hate having to go...
  3. Change default user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default user: I just had to totally replace my Windows 10 OS and now it's using deejh as the default user instead of wildchild1954, which is what it used to, and should still, be. Can anyone tell me in simple English how to make that back into the default user? I hate having to go...
  4. Change default user

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Changing default folder icon view in File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default folder icon view in File Explorer Windows 10: Hi there,Actually , I wanted to customize my file explorer by changing the default folder icons. I just did it by following these steps:-1 Open 'Registry Editor' and go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer'2 Then I just right-clicked on...
  6. Default Icons change Windows 10?

Default Icons change Windows 10?: Hey, I want to change the icon on my phone, SD card and USB stick when I plug them into my PC. Does anyone know how to do that? [ATTACH] Default Icons ändern Windows 10?
  7. Windows 10 - changing default user

Windows 10 - changing default user: I giving my computer to my friend. I want to change the default user i already created a new admin user and make sure they cam access appstore and has microsoft edge. Then i want to remove my profile original default profile completely. How do i do this with windows 10?...
  8. Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10?

Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10?: I have been modifying my setup software to look a lot more retro and have been replacing is, screensavers and sounds with that of older OSes (my favourites are Windows 98 Sed Edition and Windows ME, and I use some Windows 95C material). Changing the is of shortcuts and...
  9. Change Default Icon for Network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Icon for Network in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Icon for Network in Windows 10 How to Change Default Icon for Network in Windows 10 [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to change the default icon used for Network to any icon you want for your account in Windows 10. [img]...
  10. Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10 How to Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10 [img] Information "My Computer" is now called "This PC" in Windows 10. This tutorial will show you how to change the default icon used for This PC to any icon...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change username files in windows 10