Windows 10: Change Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10 How to Change the Default Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10 The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10

How to: Change Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10

How to Change the Default Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10

The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from your hard disk, Windows places it in the Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin icon changes from empty to full.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default full and empty icon of the Recycle Bin for your account in Windows 10.

*tip You may also want to allow or prevent themes to change desktop icons for your Recycle Bin icons.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Default Recycle Bin Full and Empty Icons in Desktop Icon Settings
    • Option Two: To Restore Default Recycle Bin Full and Empty Icons in Desktop Icon Settings
    • Option Three: To Change Default Recycle Bin Full and Empty Icons in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Recycle Bin on Desktop and in File Explorer

Change Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Default Recycle Bin Full and Empty Icons in Desktop Icon Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), enter the rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0 command into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open Desktop Icon Settings at step 4 below instead.

2. Click/tap on Themes on the left side, and click/tap on the Desktop icon settings link on the right side under Related Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

4. Select the Recycle Bin (full) icon, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Browse button, navigate to and select the .ico file or file that contains the icon you want, click/tap on Open, select the icon you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

6. Select the Recycle Bin (empty) icon, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Browse button, navigate to and select the .ico file or file that contains the icon you want, click/tap on Open, select the icon you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

8. Click/tap on the OK to apply. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Default Recycle Bin Full and Empty Icons in Desktop Icon Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), enter the rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0 command into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open Desktop Icon Settings at step 4 below instead.

2. Click/tap on Themes on the left side, and click/tap on the Desktop icon settings link on the right side under Related Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

4. Select the Recycle Bin (full) icon, and click/tap on the Restore Default button. (see screenshot below)

5. Select the Recycle Bin (empty) icon, and click/tap on the Restore Default button. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the OK to apply. (see screenshots below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Default Recycle Bin Full and Empty Icons in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon

3. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the empty expandable string value (REG_EXPAND_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

4. Type the full path of the .ico file you want to use, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note You can use the C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll,-55 path to restore the default Recycle Bin (empty) icon.

5. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the full expandable string value (REG_EXPAND_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

6. Type the full path of the .ico file you want to use, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note You can use the C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll,-54 path to restore the default Recycle Bin (full) icon.

7. When finished, close Registry Editor.

8. sign in to fully apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 5, 2016
  2. Jan Del Win User

recycle bin

Hi George,

To prevent your files from being deleted from the Recycle Bin, we suggest increasing the maximum file size your Recycle Bin can keep by following the steps below:

• Right click on the Recycle Bin icon.
    • Under the Settings for selected location, select Custom size.
    • Fill up the box for your allotted maximum file size for your Recycle Bin.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Lost Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Hello,

We highly suggest to follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button , type desktop icons into the search box, and then click Show or hide common icons on the desktop.
    • In the Desktop Icon Settings dialog box, do one of the following: To hide the Recycle Bin, clear the Recycle Bin check box. ...
    • Click OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Trixie Mop, Oct 26, 2019
  4. ipellant Win User

Missing desktop icons and recycle bin

No problems on the current Windows 10 on three computers I have running dual screens. Desktop Icons only appear on the primary screen.

All icons including the Recycle Bin not showing. The Recycle Bin could be the cause.

There was a bug / glitch during the Insider Preview builds that would flash up a message saying the Recycle Bin was corrupted or missing.

It seems that the Recycle Bin attempts to build a list of recycled files on all the drives on the computer. If the recycled files id is out of sync, that caused the bin to fail.

Suggest:

Copy some files; then delete them; then reboot and see if the Recycle Bin appears.

ipellant, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Allan Mej Win User
    Putting the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop.

Hi Nicholas,

Recycle Bin is a temporary storage that contains files that have been deleted but not yet permanently erased, allowing you to restore these files. To show
    Recycle Bin on Windows 10 desktop, kindly follow these steps:

• Go to Control Panel by pressing Windows + X
      and clicking Control Panel.
    • Click Appearance and Personalization and go to Personalization.
    • Click Change desktop icons and check the box beside Recycle Bin.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Recycle Bin

2. Missing Recycle Bin Icon on Windows 10 Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Recycle Bin Icon on Windows 10 Desktop: Hello, I've noticed that the Recycle Bin icon is missing from my Windows 10 desktop. I didn't delete it, but it's nowhere to be found, and I can't seem to restore it. I've checked the desktop icon settings, but Recycle Bin is not listed there either. Can someone please help...
  3. Missing Recycle Bin Icon on Windows 10 Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Recycle Bin Icon on Windows 10 Desktop: Hello, I've noticed that the Recycle Bin icon is missing from my Windows 10 desktop. I didn't delete it, but it's nowhere to be found, and I can't seem to restore it. I've checked the desktop icon settings, but Recycle Bin is not listed there either. Can someone please help...
  4. Recycle Bin icon not changing when emptying

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle Bin icon not changing when emptying: When I empty my trash the icon does not change from one with trash to an empty one. If I run the mouse over the icon it updates and changes to empty. I tried a DISM software check and rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin from admin CMD. There seems to be nothing wrong. Searches...
  5. Desktop icons in recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons in recycle bin: Hi guys, Having a small problem where i go to start my laptop in the morning after using it the night before and for some reason alot of my desktop icons have been sent to my recycle bin? So every morning i have to restore them all... it`s a bit annoying. I have Sync turned...
  6. How to change Recycle Bin icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Recycle Bin icon in Windows 10: [ATTACH]There are two states of the Recycle Bin – one is Recycle Bin with deleted items and the other one is empty Recycle Bin. Both […] This article How to change Recycle Bin icon in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. finding recycle bin icon

finding recycle bin icon: Problems Finding the Recycle Bin icon First advice from advisor: If your desktop shows no icons at all, right-click or press and hold the desktop and select View. If Show desktop icons has no checkmark, click it to add one. If that doesn't work, try this: Select Start >...
  8. Recycle Bin Icon

Recycle Bin Icon: Windows 10 doesn't show the Recycle Bin Icon. How can I recover it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-icon/94dea936-1ae4-428f-ab92-ae499eb5a093
  9. Recycle Bin Icon

Recycle Bin Icon: I don't have a recycle bin icon on this laptop. How do I get one? I'd like to empty it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-icon/70730411-9560-4ffb-9bc6-60b85efdee2a
  10. How to change the stock icon for the Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the stock icon for the Recycle Bin: Hi everybody. Just upgraded to the newest Windows-10, and it all replaced my favorite "Recycle Bin" with the usual Microsoft icon. I've also lost how to replace that icon with the one I want. Can someone help? Thanks jPaul 105424

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Computer