Windows 10: Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 How to Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 The default sound input device is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

How to: Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

How to Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

The default sound input device is the device that Windows uses to record or hear sound.

When you connect more than one microphone or other recording devices to your PC, you can select which device you want to use by default.

This tutorial will show you different ways to change the default sound input device for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Default Sound Input Device from Settings
    • Option Two: Change Default Sound Input Device from Sound Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Default Sound Input Device from Settings

*note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17035.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Sound on the left side, and Choose your input device you want from the drop menu on the right side. (see screenshot below)

*note You will not be able to choose if you do not have more than one input device connected.

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Default Sound Input Device from Sound Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sound icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open "Recording" devices in the Sound panel.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1

2. Click/tap on the Recording tab, and perform one of the actions below you want to use to set the default input (recording) device. (see screenshots below)
    • Right click or press and hold on the recording device, and click/tap on Set a Default Device.
    • Select a recording device, and either:
      • Click/tap on Set Default to set for both "Default Device" and "Default Communication Device".
      • Click/tap on the drop menu arrow to the right of Set Default, and click/tap on Default Device.
      • Click/tap on the drop menu arrow to the right of Set Default, and click/tap on Default Communication Device. This will not be set as the "Default Device"

3. Click/tap on OK when finished. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 4, 2017
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset For EVERY Change

First started maybe two months ago, a Windows 10 update

To explain why I do this, I use a virtual audio device so I can listen to some audio that doesn't go to stream. This virtual audio device is simple: It is a device that some programs output to, like a fake set of speakers. It is also an input device, so
    that I can listen to the input device on my real output device, either my speakers or headphones.

So I go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Check "Listen to this device" and under "Playback through this device:" I select "Default Playback Device".

This used to work fine and dandy. Sometime around August 2019, a Windows 10 update broke this. If I plug in my headphones, the default device changes from speakers to headphones. But playback of the virtual audio device stops. If I unplug my headphones, it
    is still stopped. I have to go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Change the dropdown menu from "Default Playback Device" to anything else > Apply > Change the dropdown menu to "Default Playback Device" > Apply again to fix it.

This adds TONS of extra steps to a simple change like plugging in my headphones. I have uninstalled my audio drivers and reinstalled them. This is a problem with how Windows 10 now handles listening to devices and needs to be fixed.

EnderofGames, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Jomel Ber Win User

Sound Quality / Windows 10 Upgrade

Hi J,

To address this concern, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to troubleshoot sound issues after upgrading to Windows 10:

• Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar located at the bottom right of the screen and select
      Playback Devices.
    • Select the current playback device in use and by default it should be the
      Speakers
      . Double-click on it to open its Properties window.
    • Got to Advanced tab and change the bit rate to either of the following: 24bit/44100 Hz or 24bit/192000Hz. Depending on the speaker configuration.
    If that won't work, follow these steps on how to scan for hardware changes:

• Go to Start menu, search for Device Manager and click it.
    • Expand Sound and audio devices.
    • Right-click on the current sound driver and choose Uninstall.
    • Click on Scan for hardware changes and the updated driver will be automatically installed.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you download the latest sound card drivers for Windows 10 from your PC's manufacturer website.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Aceman.au Win User
    Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Unable to access the sound from other audio device after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Ali,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the playback device after upgrading to Windows 10.

This issue might have occurred due to change in audio settings/ corrupted or outdated drivers, we will help you with this issue.

Step 1: I suggest you to connect the audio device to your computer and change the below settings.

Follow the steps:

• Right click on the sound icon at the bottom right corner of the taskbar.
    • Click on Playback devices.
    • Check if you are able to find the audio device you connected in, in the list of connected playback devices.
    • If yes, click on the icon and then click on Set default option.
    • Click on Apply and then on OK.

Step 2: Isuggest you to update the audio drivers.

Steps:

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on
      High Definition Audio Device and click on Uninstall.
    • Restart and Windows will re-install the
      IDT High Definition Audio driver
    • If it works fine otherwise try to search for the drivers with the help of model number of your computer from the Manufacturer’s website and install them.

For further reference:Fix sound problems

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Default Sound

2. Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...: I currently have a gaming headset w/microphone connected to my PC via USB, and another wireless headset w/microphone connected via Bluetooth. I frequently change between the two headsets depending on my current task. However, it's a minor annoyance to have to manually switch...
  3. Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...: I currently have a gaming headset w/microphone connected to my PC via USB, and another wireless headset w/microphone connected via Bluetooth. I frequently change between the two headsets depending on my current task. However, it's a minor annoyance to have to manually switch...
  4. How to change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10: When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or other audio devices to your PC, you can select which device you want to use by default. In this post, we will show you how to change default Sound Output Device in Windows 10. Change Default Sound Output Device We...
  5. How to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10: When you connect more than one microphone or another recording device to your Windows 10 PC, you can select which device you want to use by default. In this post, we will show you how to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10. Change Default Sound Input Device We can...
  6. Default Audio and input devices changing rapidly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Audio and input devices changing rapidly: Hello, for starters this issue will only be fixed after a restart and seemingly starts up after I try and alter what my default communication or recording device is. It will then "seek out" for a lack of better terms, a device to set a default leading to my computer's audio...
  7. Sound input device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound input device: Hello World, I´m using Lenovo Tablet PC device but very often I face the problem of dead Mic, it says no input devices found in the settings and troubleshoot is also not working while it cannot detect the problem. Can anyone help me out to resolve the problem.........
  8. Change The Default Camera Input - Windows 10

Change The Default Camera Input - Windows 10: Hello, As far as I understand there is no option to select your camera input just like selecting recording device input. People suggest that to disable the unused cameras on "Device Manager" but this is not an elegant way to do it. So please add Default Camera Input...
  9. Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs: This problem only started happening after I updated from 1809 to 1903 and I don't want to update to 1909 yet to see if it's fixed. I have two sound output devices, one is for my speakers, one is for my headset, I also have my PC listen to Line-In to the "Default Sound...
  10. cannot change default sound device

cannot change default sound device: i'm trying to play music through a bluetooth speaker. both the speaker and my laptop say that they are connected, but sound is only coming from the laptop speakers. so i check the default sound devices to see what's up, and i get this: [img] i am unable to check any...