Windows 10: Sign out of Windows 10

Discus and support Sign out of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Sign out of Windows 10 How to Sign out of Windows 10 When you sign out of Windows, all of the apps you were using are closed, but the PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by aksalaymeh, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Sign out of Windows 10

How to: Sign out of Windows 10

How to Sign out of Windows 10

When you sign out of Windows, all of the apps you were using are closed, but the PC isn't turned off. Another person can sign in without needing to restart the PC.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to sign out of your account and sign out other local users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Sign out from Start Menu
    1. Open the *Start Start menu, click/tap on your user name (ex: Shawn Brink), and click/tap on Sign out. (see screenshots below)

*note If you have full-screen Start turned on, then you will need to first click/tap on the
    Sign out of Windows 10 [​IMG]
    menu button at the top left corner of Start.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Sign out from Win+X Quick Link Menu
    1. Open the Win+X Quick Link menu, click/tap on Shut down or sign out, and click/tap on Sign out. (see screenshot below)

OR

2. Press the Win+X keys, press U, and press i.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Sign out from Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows Dialog
    1. Click/tap on your desktop to make it the current focused (active) window, and press the Alt+F4 keys.

2. Select Sign out in the drop down menu, and click/tap on OK or press Enter. (see screenshots below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Sign out from Ctrl+Alt+Del Screen
    1. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys, and click/tap on Sign out. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Sign out Other Users from Task Manager

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to sign out another user account.

*Warning If you sign out a user, the user's unsaved data might be lost.
    1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Click/tap on the Users tab, right click or press and hold on an already signed in user (ex: Brink2) that you want to sign out, and click/tap on Sign off. (see screenshot below)

OR

Click/tap on the Users tab, select on an already signed in user (ex: Brink2) that you want to sign out, and click/tap on the Sign out button.

3. Click/tap on Sign out user to confirm. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] To Sign out using "Shutdown" Command

*tip If you like, you can also run the commands below in the Win+R Run command dialog.
    1. Open a command prompt, type the command below you want to use, and press Enter.

*Arrow shutdown /L
    *note Closes all your running apps, and then sign out of your account.

OR

*Arrow shutdown /L /f
    *note Forces your running apps to close, and then sign out of your account.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Sign out You or Other Users using "Logoff" Command
    1. Do step 2 (you) or step 3 (other user) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Sign Out of Your Account
    A) Open an command prompt.

B) Type the command below, and press Enter.

*Arrow Logoff

3. To Sign Out any User Account
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this step.
    A) Open an elevated command prompt.

B) Type the command below, press Enter, and make note of the session ID number (ex: 4) of the username (ex: brink2) you want to sign out.
    *Arrow query user

C) Type the command you want to use below, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (sign out user without details)
    *Arrow logoff <ID>

OR

(sign out user with details)
    *Arrow logoff <ID> /v

*note Substitute <ID> in the commands above with the session ID number from step 3B.

For example:

logoff 4

OR

logoff 4 /v

Note If you wanted to sign out more than one user at once, then you could use multiple instances of the command above separated like below.

(Two users)
    *Arrow logoff <ID> | logoff <ID>

(Three users)
    *Arrow logoff <ID> | logoff <ID> | logoff <ID>

etc....

OPTION EIGHT [/i] To Sign out using Cortana Voice Command

*note Starting with Hey Cortana voice command to sign out the computer.

In addition, you can also ask Cortana to execute this command on the Lock screen, but first you should enable Cortana on the Lock screen if you have not done so already.

1. Using Hey Cortana, use the voice command below.
    *Arrow "Hey Cortana, sign out."
    2. Cortana may ask you for a verbal confirmation. You’ll have to respond to Cortana with a "Yes" for Cortana to complete the voice command.

OPTION NINE [/i] To Sign out All Users Except Current User in PowerShell

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow quser | Select-String "Disc" | ForEach {logoff ($_.tostring() -split ' +')[2]}
    3. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

aksalaymeh, Nov 12, 2015

2. Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10

Hi Laurie

There are various ways to logoff Sign out, those are the more common:

- Open the Start Menu, click the user icon and choose "Sign out"

- Open the Quick Access Menu by hitting Windows + X, point at "Shut down or sign out" and then choose "Sign out"

4 Ways to Sign out in Windows 10

Gianni1962, Nov 12, 2015
  3. Cefizelj' Win User
    Search the web and Windows in Windows 10 not working

You don't need to restart computer. Just Sign-Out from your User Account and Sign-In.

Tutorial: How to Sign-Out of Windows 10.

Cefizelj', Nov 12, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sign out of Windows 10

I'm glad it could help aksalaymeh. *Smile

Brink, Nov 12, 2015
  5. Jason45PC Win User
    Hello again Brink,

Stupid question, but after a system refresh, the power button on the lock or sign out screen is gone. any idea on how to get it back?

Cheers,
    Jason

Jason45PC, Jan 22, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Jason45PC Win User
    Jason45PC, Jan 23, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sign out of Windows 10

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sign out of Windows 10

1. Sign out of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sign

2. Cant sign in to minecraft bedrock/windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant sign in to minecraft bedrock/windows: I've been trying to log in to Miniecraft Bedrock for a while now, but when I press Sign In I get buy Minecraft. But I already have it so when I click on the page it says in possession. so it's basically stuck in a loop. I bought the game as a key on bol.com kind of like...
  3. Cant sign in to minecraft bedrock/windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant sign in to minecraft bedrock/windows: I've been trying to log in to Miniecraft Bedrock for a while now, but when I press Sign In I get buy Minecraft. But I already have it so when I click on the page it says in possession. so it's basically stuck in a loop. I bought the game as a key on bol.com kind of like...
  4. Why can't I remove sign oin pin? Is it MY laptop or Microsoft's?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I remove sign oin pin? Is it MY laptop or Microsoft's?!: I want to know why I am forced to have a pin on my sign in on my laptop. Who's laptop is it? Is it MY laptop, or is it Microsoft's. I never would have bought this laptop if I knew I couldn't make my own decisions with it, but I guess I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. I AM SO ANGRY THAT I...
  5. Why can't I remove sign oin pin? Is it MY laptop or Microsoft's?!

Why can't I remove sign oin pin? Is it MY laptop or Microsoft's?!: I want to know why I am forced to have a pin on my sign in on my laptop. Who's laptop is it? Is it MY laptop, or is it Microsoft's. I never would have bought this laptop if I knew I couldn't make my own decisions with it, but I guess I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. I AM SO ANGRY THAT I...
  6. Can't use fingerprint or face to sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use fingerprint or face to sign in: I can't use fingerprint or facial recognition to sign in ,, it always shows "this option is currently unavailable" . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-fingerprint-or-face-to-sign-in/b77b4c75-8d7d-46ce-983c-6b4cfce4df50
  7. Can't use fingerprint or face to sign in

Can't use fingerprint or face to sign in: I can't use fingerprint or facial recognition to sign in ,, it always shows "this option is currently unavailable" . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-fingerprint-or-face-to-sign-in/b77b4c75-8d7d-46ce-983c-6b4cfce4df50
  8. How do I sign in into my Microsoft 365 account with my authenticator app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I sign in into my Microsoft 365 account with my authenticator app?: I am able to sign into my Microsoft account, but I can't get through the identity verification. It keeps telling me to enter a code. I have access to my Microsoft Authenticator app, but it does not show me any codes. My app is not generating any codes for me to use."Enter the...
  9. How do I sign in into my Microsoft 365 account with my authenticator app?

How do I sign in into my Microsoft 365 account with my authenticator app?: I am able to sign into my Microsoft account, but I can't get through the identity verification. It keeps telling me to enter a code. I have access to my Microsoft Authenticator app, but it does not show me any codes. My app is not generating any codes for me to use."Enter the...
  10. My email won't sign in, yes it's the right password

My email won't sign in, yes it's the right password: Why cant I sign in to my email even though its the right password on my Samsung galaxy tablet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-email-wont-sign-in-yes-its-the-right-password/084e4eea-4567-40fa-afd1-26b7a6561abc