Windows 10: Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with

Discus and support Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with How to Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Ztruker, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Ztruker Win User

Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with

How to: Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with

How to Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

When you open a new tab by clicking or tapping on the New tab button + or by pressing the Ctrl+T keys in Microsoft Edge, the new tab opens with top sites by default.

Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with [​IMG]

This tutorial will show you how to open new tabs with top sites and suggested content, top sites, or a blank page in Microsoft Edge for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with in Microsoft Edge Settings
    • Option Two: To Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with from "New tab" Page
    • Option Three: To Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with using a REG file

EXAMPLE: New tab in Microsoft Edge

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with in Microsoft Edge Settings
    1. Open the Microsoft Edge app.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on General on the left side, and select "Top sites" and suggested content, Top sites, or A blank page for what you want in the Open new tabs with drop down menu on the right side. (see screenshot below)

*note Top sites is the default setting.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with from "New tab" Page
    1. While you have the New tab page (Ctrl+T) open in Microsoft Edge, click/tap on the Customize icon
    . (see screenshot below)

*note If you don't see the Customize icon
    , then you can click/tap on either the Show top sites or Show top sites and my feed link at the bottom of the New Tab page to see it afterwards.

2. Select the settings you want to customize your "New tab" page with, and click/tap on Save to apply. (see screenshot below)

Note The Information cards settings will only be available if you have selected Top sites and my feed in "Page display settings". The Information cards settings will also be applied to your Start page.

You can click/tap on the Reset to default settings link to Reset these "New tab" page settings back to default.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below make changes to the DWORD value in the registry key below.

Code:
    NewTabPageDisplayOption DWORD

0 = top sites and suggested content
    1 = top sites
    2 = blank page

1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Open new tabs with "Top sites and suggested content" in Microsoft Edge
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Edge_Open_new_tabs_with_Top_sites_and_suggested_content.reg

Download

3. To Open new tabs with "Top sites" in Microsoft Edge
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Edge_Open_new_tabs_with_Top_sites.reg

Download

4. To Open new tabs with "A blank page" in Microsoft Edge

Edge_Open_new_tabs_with_Blank_page.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen Microsoft Edge to apply.

9. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Ztruker, Sep 20, 2015

2. "Open new tabs with" setting in Microsoft Edge constantly resets itself

There is a simple setting in Microsoft Edge that allows you to open new tabs with "Top sites and suggested content", "Top sites", or "a blank page". I choose "Top sites" because I don't want to read any news when browsing to a new tab. This setting resets
    itself consistently about once a day. Randomly during the day, when opening a new tab, I will see top sites and suggested content shown on the tab. When I go back into the setting, it has reset itself to "Top sites and suggested content" and I have to once
    again change it to "Top sites". This is a daily constant battle and I have no idea how to fix it or why it is resetting itself.

NeverTooMuch41, Sep 20, 2015
  3. "Open new tabs with" setting in Microsoft Edge constantly resets itself

The thread you linked to has to do with missing Favorites in Edge. My Favorites are not missing, and so I'm not sure how doing anything with Favorites will help this issue. This issue has to do with the "new tab" setting constantly resetting itself to
    a default value.

NeverTooMuch41, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Bookmark your homepage on the Favorites Bar then wheel click that bookmark.
    It won't do this, as in IE, though! *Sad

Edwin, Sep 20, 2015
  5. ddelo Win User
    Shawn, thank you again for a very good tutorial.
    I wish you had a solution to set every new tab to my a custom page (a personal html page with my "most visited/useful sites", but I guess you're a Windows expert and not the product manager of MS Edge *Wink

I'm currently running Win 10 Pro x64 and Edge 25.10586.0.0 and every time I clear the Edge data with CCleaner and subsequently re-open Edge, the setting is back to "Top sites and suggested content" and of course the reg entry NewTabPageDisplayOption=0.

After cleanup and before reopening Edge, if I open the registry and check the reg entry, it’s still 1 or 2 (whatever I had set it before running CCleaner).

It is worth noting that I run CCleaner with all Microsoft Edge options set. I noticed, by disabling all CCleaner Edge settings and enabling them one-be-one, that the “Cookies” setting of CCleaner is the one to blame for this behavior.

It seems that after Cookies cleanup, when Edge reopens, it checks for something, doesn’t find it and resets the NewTabPageDisplayOption to 0.

Dimitri

ddelo, Jan 21, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help Dimitri, and thank you for posting your findings about CCleaner for this setting. *Smile

Brink, Jan 21, 2016
  7. ddelo Win User
    I'm trying to figure out, if it's an Edge or CCleaner problem. I have posted it as a bug in Piriform too and I was hoping that you had some idea from the Edge side. Apparently not.

Isee if I can figure it out and I'll post back the result, to help somebody else if needed.

ddelo, Jan 21, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It's gotta be something that CCleaner is doing since it only happens when you use it with all the MS Edge settings checked.

Brink, Jan 21, 2016
  9. ddelo Win User
    That's what I thought too.
    The only reason I bothered you, was if you had heard it before and had an idea.
    Thanx again for your time. *Smile

ddelo, Jan 21, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's never a bother. This is the first I've heard about this, so hopefully Piriform will get back with you to get it sorted in the next release of CCleaner.

Brink, Jan 21, 2016
  11. ARC1020 Win User
    It's a Microsoft Edge problem. If you clear 'Cookies and saved website data' from within Edge itself (without CCleaner even installed), then it will also reset the new tab page back to 'Top sites and suggested content' every time. When they introduce 'Delete Browsing History on Exit' (a feature that should have been in Edge from day 1), then it will become even more apparent.

As you mentioned, it should be possible for people set the new tab page to open with the page that they set as the Microsoft Edge Startup Page. But unfortunately you can't.

I'd send Microsoft feedback because I think Microsoft really need to re-evaluate Edge. Things like this and issues like mentioned in Post No.2 above about not being able to 'Always switch to new tabs when they are created' shouldn't be happening in a well thought out browser, let alone still be like it a year later. I'm not entirely sure it will help though. Microsoft say to give them feedback, but these issues were reported to them a long time ago and are still being ignored today.

ARC1020, Apr 22, 2016
  12. I have mine set for top sites
    Which is this forum
    Windows Store
    MSN
    Face Book
    Because these are the main four I use

hTconeM9user, Apr 22, 2016
  13. ddelo Win User

I totally agree @ARC1020. I also came to realize that it's an Edge problem.
    Edge has a long way to go, to become a full featured browser.
    It definitely is fast and secure, but needs a lot of refinements, to provide at least basic user friendly features.

ddelo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with - Similar Threads - Change Tabs Microsoft

2. New Windows 11 laptop: Microsoft Edge opens automatically and keeps opening new tabs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows 11 laptop: Microsoft Edge opens automatically and keeps opening new tabs: I have a brand new laptop so I don't think malware is involved.I set up Windows with only a local account sorry but I'm not into the whole Microsoft 365 ecosystem. The only time I've intentionally opened the Edge Browser was to install Chrome. Other than that, all I've done...
  3. What is the open in new Tab Shortcut?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the open in new Tab Shortcut?: Hello, I Hope you can help me with this: recently Microsoft added a new feature to windows explorer, which is the Windows Explorer Tabs, so I tried to search for a shortcut to open any folder/folders I'm selecting in a new Tab on the same windows explorer window, but I...
  4. What is the open in new Tab Shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the open in new Tab Shortcut?: Hello, I Hope you can help me with this: recently Microsoft added a new feature to windows explorer, which is the Windows Explorer Tabs, so I tried to search for a shortcut to open any folder/folders I'm selecting in a new Tab on the same windows explorer window, but I...
  5. Edge opens home page on new Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Edge opens home page on new Tab: Latest version of Edge. New tab opens home page. Used to open blank page. How do I get the blank page back? What I find doing a search is for older versions (apparently) or refers to custom in settings but all that does is open a new page in a Tab. 183159
  6. Microsoft Edge - Link Opens In Same Tab/Force Browser To Open New Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - Link Opens In Same Tab/Force Browser To Open New Tab: Hello, I can not find a solution to this and I was hoping someone would know the answer. I have users in my company that are complaining about a URL link opening in the same tab. This causes what they were working on to be erased. Let me provide more detail: These users are...
  7. new tab open in new edge

in Browsers and Email
    new tab open in new edge: sometimes when i login after sleep a new tab opens in new edge by itself it is different everytime 158737
  8. Change New Tab in Edge Chromium

in Browsers and Email
    Change New Tab in Edge Chromium: In Edge Chromium, when I click on a new tab, can I have it go to Google instead of Bing? 157181
  9. Change New Tab Page Layout in the new Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Change New Tab Page Layout in the new Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft has reengineered its Microsoft Edge browser and has moved it from EdgeHTML to the Chromium engine. This means that Google Chrome and the new Microsoft Edge will be powered by the same web engine. However, Microsoft has added some [...] This post...
  10. switch to new tab when opened in edge

in Browsers and Email
    switch to new tab when opened in edge: How do you make Edge display the contents of a new tab that you have downloaded by right clicking link? The tab is there after the right click but do I have to click on the tab, or can I set it to open automatically, if so How? 34640