Windows 10: Check PowerShell Version in Windows

Discus and support Check PowerShell Version in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Check PowerShell Version in Windows How to Check PowerShell Version in Windows Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 18, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Check PowerShell Version in Windows

How to: Check PowerShell Version in Windows

How to Check PowerShell Version in Windows

Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language designed especially for system administration. Built on the .NET Framework, Windows PowerShell helps IT professionals and power users control and automate the administration of the Windows operating system and applications that run on Windows.

This tutorial will show you how to check the current version of PowerShell in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

PowerShell version history:

[table][tr][td]PowerShell version[/td] [td]Details[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PowerShell 1.0[/td] [td]PowerShell 1.0 was released in November 2006 for Windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows Vista. It is an optional component of Windows Server 2008.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PowerShell 2.0[/td] [td]PowerShell 2.0 is integrated with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and is released for Windows XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2, and Windows Vista with Service Pack 1.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PowerShell 3.0[/td] [td]PowerShell 3.0 is integrated with Windows 8 and with Windows Server 2012. Microsoft has also made PowerShell 3.0 available for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, for Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 1, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PowerShell 4.0[/td] [td]PowerShell 4.0 is integrated with Windows 8.1 and with Windows Server 2012 R2. Microsoft has also made PowerShell 4.0 available for Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2012.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PowerShell 5.0[/td] [td]Windows Management Framework (WMF) 5.0 RTM which includes PowerShell 5.0 was re-released to web on February 24, 2016, following an initial release with a severe bug. Key features include OneGet PowerShell cmdlets to support Chocolatey's repository-based package management and extending support for switch management to layer 2 network switches.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PowerShell 5.1[/td] [td]It was released along with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on August 2, 2016, and in Windows Server 2016. A preview for PowerShell 5.1 was released for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2 on July 16, 2016, and was released on January 19, 2017.PowerShell 5.1 is the first version to come in two editions of "Desktop" and "Core". The "Desktop" edition is the continuation of the traditional Windows PowerShell that runs on full .NET Framework stack. The "Core" edition runs on .NET Core and is bundled with Windows Server 2016 Nano Server. This was the final version of PowerShell made exclusively for Windows.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PowerShell Core 6.0[/td] [td]PowerShell Core 6.0 was first announced on 18 August 2016, when Microsoft unveiled PowerShell Core and its decision to make the product cross-platform, independent of Windows, free and open source. It achieved general availability on 10 January 2018 for Windows, macOS and Linux. It has its own support lifecycle and adheres to the Microsoft lifecycle policy that is introduced with Windows 10: Only the latest version of PowerShell Core is supported. Microsoft expects to release one minor version for PowerShell Core 6.0 every six months. The most significant change in this version of PowerShell is the expansion to the other platforms. For Windows administrators, this version of PowerShell is devoid of any major new features. In an interview with the community on 11 January 2018, the PowerShell team was asked to list the top 10 most exciting things that would happen for a Windows IT professional who would migrate from Windows PowerShell 5.1 to PowerShell Core 6.0; in response, Angel Calvo of Microsoft could only name two: cross-platform and open-source.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]PowerShell Core 6.1[/td] [td]PowerShell Core 6.1 was announced on 13 September 2018. This marks the second supported release of PowerShell Core, the open-source edition of PowerShell that works on Linux, macOS, and Windows.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Here's How:

1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste either command below into PowerShell, and press Enter.
    $PSVersionTable

OR

Get-Host | Select-Object Version
    3. You will now see the current version of PowerShell. For example: 5.1.18329.1

Check PowerShell Version in Windows [​IMG]

Check PowerShell Version in Windows [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 18, 2018
  2. Mark Isi Win User

PowerShell randomly poping-up in tool bar

Hello,

Just to verify, do you have any scheduled tasks that uses Powershell? Scheduled tasks makes Powershell window appear periodically on your computer, therefore we suggest that you check the Task Scheduler. Here are the steps:

• Click on Start.
    • In the search bar, type Task Scheduler and click on

Task Scheduler
      in the results.
    • Under Active Tasks, check for any tasks that use Powershell and the scheduled time.

If the issue still persist, we suggest that you run a Windows Defender scan to see if it will pick up any malware that the first scan missed.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Kursah Win User
    PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

Windows powershell randomly popping up.

Hi Fabian,

Scheduled tasks that use Powershell can cause the Powershell window to appear periodically on your computer. We suggest that you check the Task Scheduler.

• Click on Start.
    • In the search bar, type Task Scheduler and click on
      Task Scheduler
      in the results.
    • Under Active Tasks, check for any tasks that use Powershell and the scheduled time.

Malware can also cause this issue. We suggest that you use Windows Defender or a third-party security software to scan your system.

Keep us updated with the results.

Gino Des, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Oct 27, 2019
  6. KeithM Win User
    How to change the WinX menu, including Powershell/Powershell (Admin)

This part intrigues me. As suggested earler, please post a screenshot of the error message. Also, please clarify/test the follwoing:
    1. Can you start PowerShell from the Start Menu?
    2. If you navigate to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3, does PowerShell launch from the shortcuts there?
    3. If #1 works & #2 doesn't, compare (& post) the target text from each shortcuts properties. For the Start Menu shortcut, right-click & select Open file location to navigate to the Start Menu folder.

Keith

KeithM, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Check PowerShell Version in Windows - Similar Threads - Check PowerShell Version

2. How to check Last Password Change in CMD or PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    How to check Last Password Change in CMD or PowerShell: [IMG]Knowing when you changed your Windows password is helpful. Maybe, you have a habit of changing your password occasionally to keep your PC secure. Or maybe your PC is used by multiple users, and you are worried that someone has changed the password. The reasons could be...
  3. Powershell Automatically came up on my screen saying their is a new version of powershell...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell Automatically came up on my screen saying their is a new version of powershell...: HI when I restarted my laptop this afternoon I got a power shell window came up automatically saying that I needed to install the latest version of powershell for the lasted features and improvements. What I want to now is it ok for me to install the lasted version of...
  4. Powershell version 7.1.3

in Windows 10 News
    Powershell version 7.1.3: A new PowerShell stable release is available: v7.1.3 Upgrade now, or check out the release page at: https://aka.ms/PowerShell-Release?tag=v7.1.3 175775
  5. how to check versions of windows in settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to check versions of windows in settings: how to check version of windows in settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-versions-of-windows-in-settings/21495eeb-8e10-4726-81fa-3d2d9a528975
  6. PowerShell command to check if Microsoft Store is installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PowerShell command to check if Microsoft Store is installed: As title says, I'd like to know if there is such command. 164490
  7. Windows Powershell missing on Windows 10 LTSC version 1909

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Powershell missing on Windows 10 LTSC version 1909: [ATTACH] I can't find Windows Powershell on Search or start menu Please help me ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-powershell-missing-on-windows-10-ltsc/4ea43e6f-3141-428c-8464-396d826a05c0
  8. PowerShell - Remote File Checking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PowerShell - Remote File Checking: How can i check remote users desktop for specific files for audit purpose via domain admin user? Hiren https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/powershell-remote-file-checking/6a67ccaf-4454-41af-b024-05daad69047f"
  9. How can cmd script check for powershell environment?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can cmd script check for powershell environment?: I can execute script abc.cmd in either a command prompt or powershell environment/window. Can it determine the environment in which it runs? Powershell 5, W10Pro64, 1803 Thank you and a Merry Christmas. 124044
  10. How to check Bluetooth version in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to check Bluetooth version in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Bluetooth is one of the most common method used to transfer the files between a mobile device and the computer, but many times the version of Bluetooth is not supportive which creates issues in connecting and transferring the files. While [...] This post How to...