Windows 10: Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Console Windows in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Console Windows in Windows 10

A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications.

For example: Linux

The console host (conhost.exe) for a console window has been updated with new features in Windows 10.

Windows Console features include:

Enable Ctrl key shortcuts
    Allows new Ctrl key shortcuts for consoles, but may interfere with some applications.

Filter clipboard contents on paste
    When you paste text into a console, unsupported characters will either be converted or stripped out, remove tabs, and convert smart quotes to regular quotes.

Enable line wrapping selection
    When you select and copy lines of text in a console, it will include wrapping lines instead of being rectangular.

Extended text selection keys
    Enable enhanced keyboard editing on command line. For example, you can use Shift and the arrow keys to select characters or lines of text or Ctrl+A to select all the text on the command line or all the text in the window.

Wrap text output on resize
    When resizing a console window, wrap text to fit width.

Transparency (opacity)
    You can set the transparency level of a console window by setting an opacity value between 30-100%.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable using legacy console mode for all console windows (ex: command prompt, PowerShell, Linux) for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Console Windows in Properties
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Console Windows using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Features disabled when you use legacy console

Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Console Windows in Properties
    1. Open a Linux console window.

*note You could also just directly right click on the console window shortcut or file, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 3 below.

2. Right click or press and hold on the title bar of the console window, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshots below)

3. Click/tap on the Options tab, check or uncheck (default) the Use legacy console box for what you want, and click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshots below)

4. Close and reopen the console window to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Console Windows using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console

ForceV2 DWORD

0 = Use legacy console (enable)
    1 = Don't use legacy console (disable)

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Use Legacy Console
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_legacy_console.reg

Download

3. To Disable Use Legacy Console
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Do_not_use_legacy_console.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Close and reopen any console windows to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 26, 2018

2. Command prompt only works in legacy console mode

I tried enabling legacy console just to see what it would do (I'm not very familiar with the option). After seeing that it limits the font options, I disabled it again. Reloaded console and then all the text was invisible. The console is still set to the
    default colors. What is going on and how can I fix it?

Anonymous_155, Oct 26, 2019
  3. After install Ubuntu got error in console

after enable developer mode

activate enable Linux subsystem

After install Ubuntu and run it

entered username only and

got error in console

this

Unsupported console settings. In order to use this feature the legacy console must be disabled.

well?

Lse123polis, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10

Remove Synchronization With Console

I was attempting to synchronize a controller for the Xbox 360 console with the Xbox One console. It didn't work. I got the controller synchronized with the Xbox 360 console. Once I disconnected the legacy adapter from the Xbox One, the keyboard connected
    to the Xbox 360 console with no problems.

Weird Odd Wodd, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Evodius Win User
    Windows 10 Console Mode

I wish Windows 10 had a console mode from boot-up that let me access everything (including the login) with a game controller rather than mouse & keyboard.

Evodius, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Group Policy management console

Hi

It is the possible to disable the print screen button in window 10 computer via group policy management console. kindly suggest the useful article.

Regards,

vetrivel G

bsolteambsol, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Legacy Console Mode for All Consoles in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Legacy

2. Help turning off console mode!

in Windows 10 Support
    Help turning off console mode!: So my computer has recently been showing this black box when I try to log in with the command prompt Control+Alt+Delete to log in and Ive done some research and found out a setting or something called Console Mode has been turned on and this is why the black box is showing up...
  3. Windows 10 camera app/legacy game console video and audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 camera app/legacy game console video and audio: I'm using a USB device that accepts RCA inputs. Since my computer sees it as a webcam, I figured that I could use the camera application to see the input from my Gamecube and other legacy consoles. Video wise, it's far superior to the software included with the device,...
  4. console

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    console: need help regarding the console...my console is not connecting while playing the game which I installed from Microsoft store the other games r working which took from pen drive or any other external sources...
  5. Command prompt only works in legacy console mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt only works in legacy console mode: I tried enabling legacy console just to see what it would do (I'm not very familiar with the option). After seeing that it limits the font options, I disabled it again. Reloaded console and then all the text was invisible. The console is still set to the default colors. What...
  6. How to enable or disable Console Mode Sign-in on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Console Mode Sign-in on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft has been bringing in new lock-screen user experiences and features with every iterative feature release of Windows 10. People have their own opinions about it. Some people tend to like it, and the others tend not to like it. [...] This post How to...
  7. Enable or Disable Line Wrapping Selection in Console in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Line Wrapping Selection in Console in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Line Wrapping Selection in Console in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Line Wrapping Selection in Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux...
  8. Enable or Disable Scroll Forward in Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Scroll Forward in Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Scroll Forward in Console Window in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Scroll Forward in Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux...
  9. Enable or Disable Console Mode Sign-in in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Console Mode Sign-in in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Console Mode Sign-in in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Console Mode Sign-in in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with a hidden console mode that can be used to replace the default lock, sign-in, welcome, and shutdown graphical UI screens with a...
  10. Multiplayer with Consoles

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiplayer with Consoles: The pages all read streaming, which pretty much is using your console on a different screen. As we have seen, halo guardians has NO splitscreen, but coop and vs online. Could i "stream" to my pc and play with someone else who is on my xbox one. Like use my pc's force to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Legacy console mode

2. disable legacy console mode in cmd.exe/conhost properties

3. legacy console windows wrapping

4. uncheck the legacy console option